The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

why did we trade cody hodgson

bronski beat

So that begs the question....why make that deal now? Are you saying Pahlsen will score more than Hodgson? In 5 years time, the Sedins will be back in Sweden and Kesler will be on the decline. Doesn't it make more sense to corral all the offensive threat you can have for this years run? The more I look at this the more I think it was a stupid trade born out of AV's pettiness and his refusal to admit he was wrong about Cody. He questioned the kids character early on and Cody was on the verge of proving him wrong so he demanded Gillis get rid of him. Will Kassian help us this year's playoffs.....yes (even in an indirect way to open ice for the actual scorers), but would Cody have contributed even more offensively over all?.....yes. AV's arrogance may have cost this team the Cup this year if it is once again goal scoring that fails us.

Good long term trade.

But awful awful timing.

Not personally,...I'm sure..(it was his first ever pick as GM at the draft)....I guess it's a hockey decision,and you have to maximize your assets.A talented one-way,non physical forward who only plays center obviously was'nt going to be a fit for the Canucks...Gillis is not one to shy away from gutsy moves....time will tell with this one.

My read on this thread is that a lot of people are sad to see the kid go.

I am also sad. He was the real deal on this team, insulated by Hansen, Higgins, or Booth's hord nosed work in the corners, while Cody floated around in front of the net looking for the outlet. Of course this wasn't always the case as we did see Cody get in there a bit himself...but for the most part, that is how I saw it.

As he was a Canuck, I overlooked this. I saw that he had a very impressive gift in the offensive zone and was happy for him and the team. Even with his said attitude problem, his trying to be more than a rookie on a top team, I thought it was possible for the team to work. Even the Beatles fought amongst each other, and they were the best band we've ever seen (arguably). I can also totally see why he'd have beef with Bieksa. Kevin would singlehandedly ruin almost every 2nd unit powerplay by taking the puck in to the zone thinking he was Bobby Orr, just to hit the goalie's crest. So it wasn't Hodgson's place to speak up and point that out if that was the case, but still, I saw it.

I suppose the Hodgson camp saw him as a RNH or Taylor Hall type player who should command a bit more than he did and they ended up getting what they wanted in a trade. We might see that cody won't do as well on a less worthy team, or maybe we'll see him succeed and prove everyone wrong.

It took me a while to get over the loss of my favorite player. I mean, the team has a system and a way of doing things and apparently Cody had upset that pecking order, or system of seniority.....

With the additions of Paulsson, Kassian and Grags (I can't spell his name,...too lazy to google), they are every bit as strong. The third line wingers won't have to shoulder as much of the physical payload anymore either.

I think we're set for the post season, and Cody is set for the rest of his career.

Whether he capitalizes or not is up to him.

So that begs the question....why make that deal now? Are you saying Pahlsen will score more than Hodgson? In 5 years time, the Sedins will be back in Sweden and Kesler will be on the decline. Doesn't it make more sense to corral all the offensive threat you can have for this years run? The more I look at this the more I think it was a stupid trade born out of AV's pettiness and his refusal to admit he was wrong about Cody. He questioned the kids character early on and Cody was on the verge of proving him wrong so he demanded Gillis get rid of him. Will Kassian help us this year's playoffs.....yes (even in an indirect way to open ice for the actual scorers), but would Cody have contributed even more offensively over all?.....yes. AV's arrogance may have cost this team the Cup this year if it is once again goal scoring that fails us.

Good long term trade.

But awful awful timing.

Guest Dasein

Sammy Pahlsson has 1G3A4P +1 in 12GP for the Canucks.

He does that while playing on the PK instead of PP like Hodgson did. Not only does he produce at a decent rate for a 3rd line center, he is exponentially better than Hodgson on defense and the faceoff dot.

Really, it's a no brainer - Pahlsson is better right now on the 3rd line than Hodgson.

Zack Kassian is a piece that addresses an organizational need. He is playing on the 4th line right now and isn't doing too bad - he'll help us more in the future, but isn't detrimental to our team in the present. So that also made sense - we had no use for Cody and Zack has a role on this team and makes sense for the future as well.

Sammy Pahlsson has 1G3A4P +1 in 12GP for the Canucks.

He does that while playing on the PK instead of PP like Hodgson did. Not only does he produce at a decent rate for a 3rd line center, he is exponentially better than Hodgson on defense and the faceoff dot.

Really, it's a no brainer - Pahlsson is better right now on the 3rd line than Hodgson.

Zack Kassian is a piece that addresses an organizational need. He is playing on the 4th line right now and isn't doing too bad - he'll help us more in the future, but isn't detrimental to our team in the present. So that also made sense - we had no use for Cody and Zack has a role on this team and makes sense for the future as well.

I don't think its a no brainer.... They are two different players and offer different things. It is more like arguing between having a checking third line or a scoring third line. "We have no use for Cody" is such a stupid thing to say. He won us many games this year with his clutch and helps our PP. Its not like we have been winning more games with Phalsson over Cody.

This is the only thread on the main page Ive seen that directly compares the two main players of that trade, and I really dont understand what everyone's problem with it is.

A guy who is producing now is traded for a guy that isnt doing it just yet. We made the SCF last season. There is no reason to wonder why people are questioning the trade. This is what is expected to happen when questionable trades such as the Hodgson/Kassian are made.

This probably isnt going to stop for a long time, this comparison between the two players will probably go on for years. Its run of the mill analysis.

I am far from a fan of AV's, nor am I a fan of Rich Winter or Cody's Daddy .. the only explanation that makes sense is the rumored, but unsubstantiated, concerns of Cody's "camp" that he was not being developed to their liking, and that Cody's ego was disruptive in the dressing room .. where there is smoke there is usually fire .. time will reveal all .. in the meantime, MG did what he thought is was best for the team .. without having all the information we are just tilting at windmills with our suppositions ..

I DO know our 3rd line is a hell of a lot better suited to the playoff grind .. were it me, Cody would have been sitting come playoff time unless there was an opening in the top-6 due to injury ..

assumptions yes, they would have to be as I dont see the future, but please tell me where you would disagree.

Didn't AV question Cody's character when he publicly called him out at training camp doubting his inury? Hasn't Cody's low icetime been questioned not just by CDC but other hockey analysts?

Haven't the Sedin's quietly indicated they wanted to return to Sweden before the end of their hockey career? Besides even if they stayed I would ASSUME they would also not be at the peak of their careers just like my "outrageous" assumption on Kesler's play in five years.

Cody is a more offensive player who is one year ahead of Kassian. Pretty easy to assume Cody would score more points if he were here than Kassian.

I don't think its a no brainer.... They are two different players and offer different things. It is more like arguing between having a checking third line or a scoring third line. "We have no use for Cody" is such a stupid thing to say. He won us many games this year with his clutch and helps our PP. Its not like we have been winning more games with Phalsson over Cody.

Archived