421 replies to this topic

#391 Tangerines

Tangerines

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,337 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 08:54 PM

You're only looking on the surface. Do you remember last years playoffs? Two things caused us problems. Overplaying Kesler in both offensive and shutdown roles, and getting manhandled.

Malhotra's eye injury changed the game plan. The third line was supposed to be the shutdown line and Keskers line used in a more offensive role. The acquisition of Pahlsson puts last years game plan back into effect. Once again we have a 3rd line made up of three quality penalty killers who can take over the shutdown role while chipping in offensively. This allows Kesler's line to be used in a more offensive role while logging a little less ice time. Weigh that against having Cody on the third line with limited minutes. The entire 2nd line in an offensive role or Cody's production on the third line with the second line in a shutdown role. I'll take the former thanks.

So with the acquisition of Pahlsson where would that leave Cody? The fourth line where he'll have limited ice time (and production) and providing no physical presence. Or the pressbox providing nothing while hoping for an injury. And honestly, I think the 3rd line has looked more dangerous since Cody left.

How about Cody in the long term? With Kesler and Henrik ahead of him for likely four or more years he's stuck on the third line. Yet he's complaining about his ice time in his rookie season. How long could that situation possibly last?

Sorry Cody fans but it made sense to move Cody. Even ignoring Kassian, I think the current roster has a better chance of winning it all with Pahlsson centering our third line. Assuming the team does a better job of staying healthy through the playoffs. Kassian adds a physical presence this year while having the potential of being a monster of a top six power forward. Unlike Cody at center, that's something we actually do need down the road. Sure any of those you mentioned could supply a physical presence (although Oreo did a crappy job last year). Do you believe any of them have the offensive potential that Kassian has? This trade wasn't only about now, it was also about the future.

On top of getting something we need for something we didn't, we also obtained Gragnani. I see him as a definite upgrade over Sulzer.

We added three pieces, not just Kassian.

^^^^^^
This,
and besides that fact that Kassian is a better skater, better hitter, more physical, can fight, and better defensively I don't understand how we sacraficed and offensive player for one that isn't so offensive when in actuallity Kassain's AHL statistics are far more superior than Hodgsons in 2010-11 season. Kassian played 56 games, scored 26 goals, 51 assists, 77 points and was a + 10 for the Windsor Spitfires. He had 6 goals, 10 assists, 16 points in 16 playoff games and went on to win the memorial cup also. Cody played 52 games for the Moose had 17 goals, 13 assists, 30 points, and was a -12. Kassian is a year behind Hodgson but I think eventually he will be a better overall player than him.

Edited by JohnLennon, 02 April 2012 - 08:37 PM.

#392 BoKnows53

BoKnows53

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 11:29 PM

I watched the Boston game today and I can honestly say kassian played better yesterday then lucid did today. I know I have extreme bias being a Canuck fan. But I closely watched lucic the whole game and I think if lucic has off games like this maybe we should be easy on the rookie.

#393 yete

yete

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 826 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:00 AM

so far hodgson > kassian

#394 Duodenum

Duodenum

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,550 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:10 AM

^^^^^^
This,
and besides that fact that Kassian is a better skater, better hitter, more physical, can fight, and better defensively I don't understand how we sacraficed and offensive player for one that isn't so offensive when in actuallity Kassain's AHL statistics are far more superior than Hodgsons in 2010-11 season. Kassian played 56 games, scored 26 goals, 51 assists, 77 points and was a + 10 for the Windsor Spitfires. He had 6 goals, 10 assists, 16 points in 16 playoff games and went on to win the memorial cup also. Cody played 52 games for the Moose had 17 goals, 13 assists, 30 points, and was a -12. Kassian is a year behind Hodgson but I think eventually he will be a better overall player than him.

The Windsor Spitfire are in the OHL.
Kassian has 26 points in 30 games in the AHL. Still better than Cody's number but you'd have to be blind to think Kassian has a higher offensive ceiling than Cody. I'd wager Cody being the better defensive player in his career as well, even if he's struggling now (as is Kassian). Kassian will, of course, be the tougher, meaner player.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#395 Honky Cat

Honky Cat

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,717 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:16 AM

This is a year old....fuggedaboudit..!

#396 wallstreetamigo

wallstreetamigo

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,730 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:23 AM

I think this is the point missed often, and the truthful answer is no. Now, I don't mean no, not at all, but I do mean no, not at the same level of proficiency. Kesler plays wing, but certainly not as well as he plays center. Malholtra plays wing, but it is obvious he is better suited to a center role.

Raymond plays center, but there is no doubt he is a winger.

Cody Hodgson is an upo and coming potentially talented center, and could have turned into an ok winger. Zack Kassian is a natural winger and potentially a talented power forward. Rather than trying to fit a round peg into a square hole,,,,,,get a square peg??

Barring catastrophic injury, we were going to have figure out how to fit CoHo in, Kassian will fit right in, working his way up the lineup. Not only that, but he is a natural Right Winger.

Burrows is an LW playing right side, MayRay LW, Booth LW, Higgins LW, Hansen is the closest to skilled natural RW, then we get to Bitz and Weise.

Seems to me we needed a power forward, natural right winger, rugged, net presence, soft hands.

Seems to me we got one.

Reading this made me realize that this team is so heavily weighted to the left side at forward and defence that it is shocking the arena is not tilted to the left when they play.....:P

#397 Moonshinefe

Moonshinefe

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,126 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:44 AM

Sick of the captain hindsight threads. We traded him because he was whining about ice time and not a character player, and we had ample centers at the time. We also needed toughness like all the fans were crying about, so we got Kassian for him. Does that clear it up for you?

#398 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,722 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:12 AM

^^^^^^
This,

I have come terms with the trade and realize it was for the best for everyone involved which is always great - Though I have always maintained that there should have been a little more coming back to the Canucks in the form of a draft pick or extra mid level prospect if only because of the fact that we were trading something more refined for more raw potential. I still stand by that.

With your post I think it is an unfair compare OHL stats to AHL stats. They are completely different and imo can't be used as a comparison to one another. OHL may have a great talent pool but ultimately most players are still just kids.

I don't disagree with what you are saying I am just stating that those stats don't prove your statements either.
Posted Image

#399 higgyfan

higgyfan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,130 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:05 AM

With Kes out, Hodgson would look a lot better as our 2nd line C than Ebbett :towel:

There's no doubt he will be a very good NHL player one day. Good for him.

It appears that most fans like the trade for Kassian. He has lots of potential, but will probably take longer than Cody to reach it. It's meaningless to compare these players, as their games are totally different.

Go Canucks Go

#400 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,052 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:07 AM

To get to the other side....

McCoy: We were speculating. Is God really out there?
Kirk: Maybe he's not out there, Bones. Maybe he's right here. [points to his heart]

Posted Image

#401 Edlerberry

Edlerberry

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:15 AM

I opened this to see how there were 14 pages of posts in just the first half of today... and then i read the year on the OP and lol'd
July 7-2013

Toronto will take a step back next year.
Feel free to quote me.

July 8-2013

Wow I can't believe peoples replies...
Im done here. You people are disgusting..

#402 CanucksSayEh

CanucksSayEh

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,403 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:26 AM

Sorry Kass, but this trade just looks awful right about now, really it has since it happened. While hind sight is crystal clear, nothing really unexpected has happened. Everything that has soured this deal was well known before the trade.

We knew Cody was gonna be an offensive force

We knew Kesler was hurting and likely to re-injure

We knew Phalsson wasn't gonna stick around

We knew Kassian struggled with consistency

We knew we lacked scoring from the second line down and on the 2nd PP

No wrench has been thrown in the gears of this team, this current sticky situation was always a possibility.

#403 Raoul Duke

Raoul Duke

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,150 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:49 AM

I still shake my head at that trade.

TomBrady.jpg

#404 DaMacNamedDre

DaMacNamedDre

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:00 AM

Cody and his daddy were a pain in the ass, he wanted more ice time, MG spent most his time dealing with Hodgson camp.
He didnt want to be a third line center but thats what he is.

Kassian needs to get back on the first line with the twins and get his confidence back up.

Playing with new linemates every shift isnt helping. I still like the trade even tho Zack has looked lost lately.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Posted ImageBodee, on 18 April 2012 - 11:07 AM, said:

I haven't been a supporter of the Canucks for long. Mainly because firstly I know nothing about NHL and secondly ESPN America only started showing NHL 3 years ago.

http://forum.canucks.com/topic/328055-whats-wrong-with-me
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

#405 Gollumpus

Gollumpus

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,866 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:07 AM

ok, i think there is alot more to this deal than meets the eye. first the fact that when mike gillis was asked if cody asked for a trade he said no comment. which would make us think he did. but im sure we all heard cody's interview with james duthie the kid sounded really shocked. meaning most likely he didnt ask for one. rumour is cody's agent and dad pushed for this trade. now people saying he was never going to play before henrik and ryan acting like he is chained to only be a centerman. can he not just play on the second line wing?
sedin sedin burrows
booth kesler hodgson
higgins pahlson hansen

this kid was sopposed to be our future captian when kesler and sedin were gone. nothing against zack kassian i love the kid but i really strongly beleive we could have adressed our toughness issue without trading hodgson like cmon. i would much rather overypay raymond and a 1st for moen or ott.

coach v never liked cody he never liked shirokov he never liked grabner. i have a hard time picturing niklas jensen playing on this team same with schroader. and with kassian i think he is going to be treated like ballard. he is going to make him a healthy scratch in the playoffs only playing him when we have injuries. which would make this trade look extremely bad. cody could have played wing with kesler everyone would have been happy we would have the defence/checking 3rd line. cody hodgson dosn't have one negative thing to his game, he has all the traits to be a great team leader. the truth is we could have adressed our toughness issue without trading cody.
i also think coach v is a terrible coach on an amazing team.
one more thing this trade really worries me for what we can get for schnieder

regards,
G.
Following the Canucks since before Don Cherry played here.

#406 hf44

hf44

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,208 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:12 AM

Cody is playing on the top line in Buffalo (which is in last place in the East), is a minus 4 and has no powerplay points which means he has been on the ice for more goals against then goals for. :towel:

#407 mikeburn

mikeburn

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,996 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:37 AM

Cody is playing on the top line in Buffalo (which is in last place in the East), is a minus 4 and has no powerplay points which means he has been on the ice for more goals against then goals for. :towel:

You forgot to mention that he's also sits 2nd with points over all, 2nd with even strength points (only one back of Vanek and 6 ahead of Pomminville), leads his team in ES goals, all while playing against other teams top lines and d pairings now, is used more on the PK than the PP (like the Canucks, Sabres swap players around for special teams), has more than double faceoffs draws than the next Sabre with a steadily improving faceoff %, and is a goto guy in any game situation.

The Sabres, as a team, are struggling - their top line, which Hodgson centers, along with their goalie, are the only pieces typically keeping them in games. Their d core has been notably poor, so even while Hodgson (for one example) has actually become much stronger on the defensive side in the last 5-8 games, the -/+ doesn't look so hot.

But then the Canucks have the likes of Kesler and Kassian at -4 too, and that is on a much stronger defensive team. Go figure :towel:

#408 cc_devil

cc_devil

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:06 PM

I think it was because Kesler felt threatened.

#409 Erik Karlsson

Erik Karlsson

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,931 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:10 PM

Sorry Kass, but this trade just looks awful right about now, really it has since it happened. While hind sight is crystal clear, nothing really unexpected has happened. Everything that has soured this deal was well known before the trade.

We knew Cody was gonna be an offensive force

We knew Kesler was hurting and likely to re-injure

We knew Phalsson wasn't gonna stick around

We knew Kassian struggled with consistency

We knew we lacked scoring from the second line down and on the 2nd PP

No wrench has been thrown in the gears of this team, this current sticky situation was always a possibility.

It's sad how lots of the fans can see this but MG can't.

Seems like Kesler runs this team, if our 2nd line center wasn't Kes, Hodgson probably would still be here.

Even if Kassian develops into a top 6 in a couple years how does that help us now? Sedins will be declined a lot by then I'm sure.

I mean atleast keep Kassian in the top 9 to help him develop... they're just screwing with his confidence.

Edited by TheGame., 28 February 2013 - 12:11 PM.

m97o1w.jpg

Credit to Parise11

#410 250Integra

250Integra

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,372 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:44 PM

Zack Bustian

naslundsig5.gif14326903821.giftowel.gif
Thanks for the Memories Canada!!!
Thanks for everything Naslund!
Original creator of the WWE and the Rate my sig / Showoff thread

#411 gradin123

gradin123

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,101 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:48 PM

Cody and his daddy were a pain in the ass, he wanted more ice time, MG spent most his time dealing with Hodgson camp.
He didnt want to be a third line center but thats what he is.

Kassian needs to get back on the first line with the twins and get his confidence back up.

Playing with new linemates every shift isnt helping. I still like the trade even tho Zack has looked lost lately.

Gillis is a classless punk who threw Cody under the bus to justify his bad trade.

Cody still has taken the high road and never said anything bad about the Canucks.

As a lifelong Canucks fan I can tell you Gillis is a pain in my ass.

#412 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,428 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:05 PM

Kind of ironic all this Cody love has re-appeared.

Cody just lost a key draw with 1:30 left in the 3rd, off the draw Campbell blasted one in to tie it 3-3 for Florida.

zackass.png

#413 cIutch

cIutch

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:14 PM

loser
Posted Image

#414 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,166 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:17 PM

Gillis hates his arch rival Winters and was reminded on a regular basis just how bad the Gillis .org handled Cody.

Hodgson sits between Sedin and Kovulchuk in the scoring race.

It is what it is and that ain`t ever gonna change.

Vancouver is stuck with no 2c,3c or 4c that scores and Cody is lighting it up.

#415 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,166 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:18 PM

Gillis all class,just lose a couple of letters for accuracy.

#416 winter

winter

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:10 PM

:rolleyes:

The future captain of this team according to WHO, exactly? You? Fans? Here's a scoop........neither you or the fans of this team pick any captains, future or otherwise. A lot of people here are guilty of putting the horse before the Cody cart........and by the way, capitalizing the beginning of your sentences & player names, proper punctuation etc., would make your drivel here a tad more readable.......

Not to mention that this could have gone in any of the Cody threads that are already in existence.

you didn't tackel the real argument he made at all, i dont know why people upvoted your post

#417 Raph

Raph

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,587 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:15 PM

Kind of ironic all this Cody love has re-appeared.

Cody just lost a key draw with 1:30 left in the 3rd, off the draw Campbell blasted one in to tie it 3-3 for Florida.

Oh well. Gotta put youngsters in situations where they might lose if they are to learn anything.

If AV wasn't so short sighted to gun for the President's Trophy every year we might have a more balance and rested team going into playoffs.
Untouchables: Tanev, Jensen, Kassian
Mostly untouchable: Sedins (need someone to man the fort and no trade value)
Open to trade: Everyone else
Drive to airport: Bieksa, Edler

Bring back: Ehrhoff

#418 van_ws

van_ws

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:15 PM

Still hate this trade like crazy. Buffalo won it, hands down.

Hodgson is a frontline player having a great season.

#419 CanucksSayEh

CanucksSayEh

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,403 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:31 PM

It hurts to think of the lineup we could very easily have if not for some particularly bad moves. Something along the lines of...

Sedin-Sedin-Burr
Booth-Hodgson-Kes
Raymond-Schroeder-Hansen
Higgins-Lappiere-Torres

Still have an extra goalie to make a move for a top winger or D-man. That's a contender, and a team that's far more resilient to unexpected injuries.

#420 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,052 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:33 PM

He broke the chain of command...he went outside the unit...

McCoy: We were speculating. Is God really out there?
Kirk: Maybe he's not out there, Bones. Maybe he's right here. [points to his heart]

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.