The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

why did we trade cody hodgson

bronski beat

MG stressed the importance of prospects' development when he took over. This team has its first round picks all lined up to be traded once they show any signs of an ability to play in the NHL. It is Grabner last year, Hodgson this year and Schneider will be next. The Canucks prospects' development programme works well for other teams and is good for the NHL.

I think trading Cody away is what Mike thought was good to the team. I don't know, ia m just guessing. Hw wanted to aded some toughness to the team in case we will meet boston in the finals again. We didn't have ebough tough guy on our rosters last year. Remember how many players was hurt going into the finals last year? We had Hamhuis, Raymond, Elder(played with injury). See our top two D men were hurt and also Raymond get hurt too. We didn't have the full roster to go against the stupid Boston team. If we were healthy, Boston was just nothing. We beat Bostion once this year, there will be another chance for us to beat themf or the Cup. Because we are a healthy team now. Hopefully D.Sedin will play soon. anyway, we are healthy this is the main point. If the team is not healthy, nothing will happen.

Well I'll start with OHL first.

Cody Hodgson at the age of 16 in 63GP = 46Points (Overall 197GP = 243Points) in 3 and a half seasons.

Zack Kassian at the age of 16 in 58GP = 21Points  (Overall 213GP = 192Points) in 4 and a half seasons.

AHL

Cody Hodgson first AHL season was straight to playoffs he played in 11GP and had 6 points at the age of 18.

Zack Kassian first AHL season was also straight to the playoffs and played in 3GP and had 0 points at the age of 19.

Cody Hodgson 52GP = 30Points at the age of 20

Zack Kassian 30GP = 26Points at the age of 20

Cant argue their Kassian had a better ppg average then Hodgson in their one season in the AHL, so this would mean Kassian would be more prepared then for the NHL level and should have no problem producing then.

NHL

This is where it gets a little differen't Cody Hodgson played 8 games in his first year which isn't even considered a rookie year and to why he is still a rookie this year so basically his 8 games he played mean nothing. Does give him a little edge over Kassian, but that means Kassian is allowed 8 games free and then he should be exactly the same as Cody by now since he has played well more then 8 games in the NHL now.

Cody Hodgson with Vancouver 71GP = 35Points (I added the 8 games just to make you happy)

Zack Kassian with Buffalo 27GP = 7Points(Looks like Cody seemed to figure it out in the NHL better)

Cody Hodgson with Buffalo 12GP = 4Points

Zack Kassian with Vancouver 11GP = 2Points

NHL Totals

Cody Hodgson 83GP = 39Points

Zack Kassian 39GP = 9Points

Kassian sure has a lot of catching up to do, Cody had 8 games over Kassian, Kassian has played well more then 8 games now in the NHL, so their are no excuses.  If he keeps this play up sure doesn't look like he is going to produce numbers like Cody ever will.

If the pure offensive numbers are even close then Buff got fleeced. But this is a deal we won't be able to properly evaluate for a few years yet. Cody is on the brink of breaking out, but Kassian's game will take a lot longer to fully develop. For now we just need him to be big, mean, fast, aggressive, and not irresponsible. Points are a bonus.

Cody Hodgson at the age of 16 in 63GP = 46Points (Overall 197GP = 243Points) in 3 and a half seasons.

Zack Kassian at the age of 16 in 58GP = 21Points (Overall 213GP = 192Points) in 4 and a half seasons.

AHL

Cody Hodgson first AHL season was straight to playoffs he played in 11GP and had 6 points at the age of 18.

Zack Kassian first AHL season was also straight to the playoffs and played in 3GP and had 0 points at the age of 19.

Cant argue their Kassian had a better ppg average then Hodgson in their one season in the AHL, so this would mean Kassian would be more prepared then for the NHL level and should have no problem producing then.

NHL

This is where it gets a little differen't Cody Hodgson played 8 games in his first year which isn't even considered a rookie year and to why he is still a rookie this year so basically his 8 games he played mean nothing. Does give him a little edge over Kassian, but that means Kassian is allowed 8 games free and then he should be exactly the same as Cody by now since he has played well more then 8 games in the NHL now.

Cody Hodgson with Vancouver 71GP = 35Points (I added the 8 games just to make you happy)

Zack Kassian with Buffalo 27GP = 7Points(Looks like Cody seemed to figure it out in the NHL better)

NHL Totals

Kassian sure has a lot of catching up to do, Cody had 8 games over Kassian, Kassian has played well more then 8 games now in the NHL, so their are no excuses. If he keeps this play up sure doesn't look like he is going to produce numbers like Cody ever will.

Zack Kassian at the age of 16 in 58GP = 21Points (Overall 213GP = 192Points) in 4 and a half seasons.

AHL

NHL

NHL Totals

Kassian sure has a lot of catching up to do, Cody had 8 games over Kassian, Kassian has played well more then 8 games now in the NHL, so their are no excuses. If he keeps this play up sure doesn't look like he is going to produce numbers like Cody ever will.

Redundant pieces were moved. Grabner was traded in favor of Raymond, who the previous season had been playing like he has now for the past two games. Grabner had recently become eligible for waivers, and at the time was not trusted in a bottom 6 role. His was a trade of necessity, and his subsequent waiver by Florida should only reinforce the necessity. The assets we got back have not panned out, though Ballard was just starting to show why we sought him out.. then his recent concussion happened. Oreo will never amount to anything as he has no passion for the sport. I had high hopes.

Cody was moved for reasons we may never fully realize, but there are enough purely hockey related reasons to go on. Speculation abounds regarding his camp not being completely invested in Vancouver, or his role on the team. Speculation is just that, but the fact is he's really close to becoming a top 6 centre, and he was never going to get that job in Vancouver... not for many years to come. He's gotten that opportunity in Buffalo, so Cody lovers should be happy for him. In return we get two pieces that are more valuable than Cody's 12 mins on the third line: Kassian adds size and speed with a mean streak that was direly missing from the lineup, and Gragnani is a young puck moving defenceman that increases our defensive depth no insignificantly - something that becomes a necessity in the playoffs.

Schneider could well be moved.. again a player who's better than the role he's given in town. Again, a position which is already solid. Luongo doesn't need to be replaced, and that shouldn't change for a good 5 years at least. Schneider is ready for more responsibility now, but we can't give that to him in any practical way. Lack, and our new Cannata, will are on a schedule that more closely matches the Canucks needs.

So there's two moves that have happened, and one that has yet to become a reality. Each of them addressed needs we had by moving assets that were redundant. What's also important to note is that none of these moves were for a rental guy. Moving Cody actually made the team 'younger,' and Ballard's multi-year contract was no small part of his acqisition. He's not moving picks and prospects for aging veterans that will disappear the following season.

omg lets move on. Gillis made the trade, if Hodgson becomes a NHL star, and if Kassian becomes Steve Bernier then that's his fault and bad judgement. WE have to move on. I'm not happy Hodgson got traded, I would be quite happy if we kept Hodgson, but I am quite excited to have Kassian on our team. Lets see how trade turns out. Gillis will either look like an idiot or genius. I will admit, this is the one trade I didn't like it, but I will live with it. Lets see what Kassian can do in the playoffs.

People are still complaining about this trade? Seriously, how hard is to understand that Cody and his camp wanted out. Give Kassian a chance to prove himself. Just because Cody had some success here doesn't mean that Kassian would not.

Comparing two different types of players is ridiculous. Cody is a play-maker while Kassian is a power-forward. You can't compare two different players to each other. That's like comparing an apple to an orange.

What people forget is that Kassian wasn't brought in here to play as a top 6 forward this year. He was brought he here to be developed into one for the future of the franchise. Yes, Cody's goals are going to be missed but Kassian will prove us with grit that this team needs in the long run. Also, Cody was replaced by Pahlsson (not Kassian) and Pahlsson gives us that third-line checking that we need and weren't getting from Cody. A third-line checking allowed Kes to go back to his playing style than shutting down top lines (in which I will add, Cody failed to do).

If the pure offensive numbers are even close then Buff got fleeced. But this is a deal we won't be able to properly evaluate for a few years yet. Cody is on the brink of breaking out, but Kassian's game will take a lot longer to fully develop. For now we just need him to be big, mean, fast, aggressive, and not irresponsible. Points are a bonus.

Archived