The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Pahlsson just another Sturm?

jonnycanuck46

Is Pahlsson just another dud?  

139 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Pahlsson isn't horrible.. but people have been bagging on Manny this year and Manny has been better or as good in every facet (more points, about the same in face-offs, +/- is fairly close ignoring teams as both checking lines should be against top forwards) so I would not be surprised to see him on the 4th line behind Manny.

He's going to fill a role much better than Sturm did, but they are cut from the same ilk in that time could have passed them by, only time (hur hur) will tell for certain.

Sundin groomed Kesler into the 2nd line centerman that he is now. Demitra was a very serviceable player here. Sturm eventually turned into Booth. Tryouts are tryouts, so if we didn't sign them, it doesn't matter.

Pahlsson will help prevent goals and allow Kesler to focus more on the offensive side of the game. Kesler was a dominant offensive force when Manny last year was our 3rd line center. Manny has not been the same since his eye injury, so hopefully Pahlsson can fill that role.

Pahlsson isn't horrible.. but people have been bagging on Manny this year and Manny has been better or as good in every facet (more points, about the same in face-offs, +/- is fairly close ignoring teams as both checking lines should be against top forwards) so I would not be surprised to see him on the 4th line behind Manny.

He's going to fill a role much better than Sturm did, but they are cut from the same ilk in that time could have passed them by, only time (hur hur) will tell for certain.

where to start?

the examples you choose of his worst signings are even bad examples

Demitra was a great player and a class act - in his first season as a Canuck he had a 20 goal - 53 point season in 69 games - his next year he suffered an injury - hardly a bust of a signing.

Sturm also cost nothing - was a good risk to take - Florida wanted him and Gillis turned him into a trade chip. What more do you want?

If you were actually listening to the Sportsnet commentators etc you would also have heard some guys raving about Pahlsson - Mayday for example, who played with him - you would have also heard McSorley making a few points about what it is like to be a shut-down guy on a god-awful team. Pahlsson is another excellent risk to take - not a whole lot to potentially lose, a whole lot to potentially gain.

You apparently have very little idea of what type of player Pahlsson is (referring to scoring) - so aren't really in a position to be questioning MG's reasoning - not to mention that Ott would have cost a lot more than Pahlsson - I would much rather have Pahlsson for a forgettable price - than a loose cannon like Ott for Raymond and a first as everyone was lobbying for - that would have been a horrible deal.

Just something I am worried about:

Gillis has been known to pick up players past their prime: (Sundin, demitra, Sturm, all the tryouts, now Pahlsson)

This guy has 2 goals this season. Marco Sturm has scored as many goals as he has. And on a crap team like Columbus, Sammy should have had a more important role. If he can't score where he is much more valuable, what make MG think he can now.

All I know is that all the TSN/Sportsnet/ESPN guys were talking about how this guy is well past his prime, and they are skeptical of whether he even does anything.

I feel we could have gotton a Moen/Ott type guy for a couple 2nd's and Ellington. That to me would have been a better use of our $$$. Pahlsson is not even worth a conditional pick, nevermind two 4th's AND Ellington!

Thoughts?

PS: As much as we are all pissed about the SIGNIFICANT downgrade this TD, lets not talk about our Golden boy anymore, because we need to move on. (somehow)

Derp da derp, I can look up the stats over the past 5 years and and pretend I watch hockey too.

The short answer is Pahlsson never was and never will be a scorer. He's a shut down center, and a damn great one at that.

The long answer is PPPPPPPPPPPaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhllllllllllsssssssssssssssssooooooooooonnnnnnnn nnnnnnnneeeeeeevvvvvveeeeerrrrrr........

lol Ellington can't even make the Wolves/Mooses. Was in ECHL for a while. CAn i just say that we could have given a bag of pucks and it wouldn't have change anything.

2 x 4th round is much better than a 3rd or 2nd IMO.

Kassian and Pahlsson joined the Canucks on the road at the end of a long road trip. I'm pretty sure they didn't practise that hard yesterday morning. Give him the time to get some chemistry. I'm sure the 7 game homestand will give them more than enough time to gel, and it will give AV a chance to juggle his lineup during practise to see what he wants to go with.

Jeez we are worst than Habs fan. Calm down!

Guest The Brown Burrows

You have no arguement.

Pahlsson has never been a scorer in his career.

The Hodgson trade was no because of the Pahlsson signing (unless MG is afraid to run with 6 centers, a lot of teams play with 5/6/7 centers on their roster instead of the traditional 4.

^ We have 5.

Moen cannot score either... he is a grinder like Pahlsson (Pahlsson made Moen). Sami and Moen were apart of the dynamic 3rd line in Anaheim's run along with Niedermayer (a Center).

Ellington was worthless anyways, it was basically Pahlsson for 2 4th rounders. Would you rather gamble with the draft picks or attain a proven NHL player? Anybody with a decent hockeysense would have made the trade. *Ellington can barely make the AHL...

Sturm was a dud from the beginning. Somehow Tallon took on his contract for David Booth. Believe me, the Booth trade was a cap dump by Florida. They want to get rid of the old Panthers. Versteeg, Fleishmann, and others are their new blood. Weiss is one of the only good players left from the original Panthers (Horton, Weiss, Booth). Sturm wouldn't have helped our team. Pahlsson can at least kill a penalty and gives us more depth and gives us another PK weapon (Kesler, Burrows, Pahlsson, Raymond, Malhotra, Lapierre, Hansen, Higgins).

• 5 weeks later...

Archived