Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Pahlsson just another Sturm?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
79 replies to this topic

Poll: Is Pahlsson just another dud? (149 member(s) have cast votes)

Is Pahlsson just another dud?

1. Yes, he's past his prime and will disappoint us fans immensely. (4 votes [2.88%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.88%

2. Voted No, he just needs to regain his old form on a good team. (111 votes [79.86%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 79.86%

3. Voted Not sure. But if he is a dud, and Coho lights it up, I'm gonna cry. (24 votes [17.27%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 17.27%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 {nhl}

{nhl}

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 12:10 AM

Just something I am worried about:

Gillis has been known to pick up players past their prime: (Sundin, demitra, Sturm, all the tryouts, now Pahlsson)

This guy has 2 goals this season. Marco Sturm has scored as many goals as he has. And on a crap team like Columbus, Sammy should have had a more important role. If he can't score where he is much more valuable, what make MG think he can now.

All I know is that all the TSN/Sportsnet/ESPN guys were talking about how this guy is well past his prime, and they are skeptical of whether he even does anything.

I feel we could have gotton a Moen/Ott type guy for a couple 2nd's and Ellington. That to me would have been a better use of our $$$. Pahlsson is not even worth a conditional pick, nevermind two 4th's AND Ellington!

Thoughts?

PS: As much as we are all pissed about the SIGNIFICANT downgrade this TD, lets not talk about our Golden boy anymore, because we need to move on. (somehow)

A couple things:

1.) Comparing Sturm to Pahlsson is just ridiculous. They are 2 different players with 2 totally different skill sets. it's almost like comparing a defenceman to a forward

2.) Pahlsson never was a goal scorer. His career high was 11 goals and that was back when the Ducks were still called the Mighty Ducks.

3.) I know it is hard to believe for some fans that a player has value and benefits the team even if he is not a goal scorer. Pahlsson is a very smart "defensive" forward. He plays very well in his own zone. Even though, i think he will play better over time, by that, I don't mean he will score more goals. I mean he will be even more solid defensive since that is his skill set. So it is kind or ridiculous for you to bring up Pahlsson's goal scoring when he has been a very good defensive forward his whole career...

4.)A couple 2nd's and Ellington for Ott or Moen... this deserves a :picard: :picard: :picard: . Do you honestly believe that is true? If you do, your hockey sense needs a bit of a shaking. Dallas was and still is fighting for their playoff lives. Dallas decided not to sell and the deadline, that is why Ott Morrow or anyone else was trade. Also, Ott would require so much more than the pathetic little package you put together. Hell, Gaustad got traded for a 1st rounded and Ott is a lot better than Gaustad. While Moen is similar to Gaustad so you can bet Montreal would also want something like a 1st rounder. If the market price wasn't high, we would have had a lot more trades than we saw. This doesn't even need to be explained, proposing 2nd's and Ellington for Ott or Moen is just ridiculous.

5.) 2 4ths and Ellington is fair. 2 rather very deep picks and a average prospects is enough for a vet with a stanley cup ring which he played a big role in and a player who is a stud in his own zone. I know its hard to believe though for some fans who only look at scoring stats.

Overall, this post lacked a lot of hockey sense. From comparing Pahlsson to Sturm to saying purposing some 2nds and Ellington for Ott
NOBODY BEATS WILLIE

"Give Willie Mitchell a tough assignment and he’ll
treat it like life and death." - Alain Vigneault

#62 {nhl}

{nhl}

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 12:31 AM

Also, I think most people can agree that Pahlsson is a defensive forward (which is much needed as much as scoring in the playoffs). Therefore it is ridiculous that the OP brought up Pahlsson's scoring. Thats like me claiming H Sedin sucks because he is not a stud defensively.
Palhsson has 44 takeaways (3rd on the team) to 9 giveaways. that is the best ratio on the team. If Pahlsson didn't have solid stats in this department, flame away. Too bad for you though he does and you look like a nunce.
NOBODY BEATS WILLIE

#63 Kryten

Kryten

Aladdin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,536 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 01:02 AM

I just got trolled hard by the thread bump. Either way the OP will need buckets of Listerine to get the taste of crow out of his mouth.
Posted Image

#64 Neil HD

Neil HD

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 01:13 AM

A couple things:

1.) Comparing Sturm to Pahlsson is just ridiculous. They are 2 different players with 2 totally different skill sets. it's almost like comparing a defenceman to a forward

2.) Pahlsson never was a goal scorer. His career high was 11 goals and that was back when the Ducks were still called the Mighty Ducks.

3.) I know it is hard to believe for some fans that a player has value and benefits the team even if he is not a goal scorer. Pahlsson is a very smart "defensive" forward. He plays very well in his own zone. Even though, i think he will play better over time, by that, I don't mean he will score more goals. I mean he will be even more solid defensive since that is his skill set. So it is kind or ridiculous for you to bring up Pahlsson's goal scoring when he has been a very good defensive forward his whole career...

4.)A couple 2nd's and Ellington for Ott or Moen... this deserves a :picard: :picard: :picard: . Do you honestly believe that is true? If you do, your hockey sense needs a bit of a shaking. Dallas was and still is fighting for their playoff lives. Dallas decided not to sell and the deadline, that is why Ott Morrow or anyone else was trade. Also, Ott would require so much more than the pathetic little package you put together. Hell, Gaustad got traded for a 1st rounded and Ott is a lot better than Gaustad. While Moen is similar to Gaustad so you can bet Montreal would also want something like a 1st rounder. If the market price wasn't high, we would have had a lot more trades than we saw. This doesn't even need to be explained, proposing 2nd's and Ellington for Ott or Moen is just ridiculous.

5.) 2 4ths and Ellington is fair. 2 rather very deep picks and a average prospects is enough for a vet with a stanley cup ring which he played a big role in and a player who is a stud in his own zone. I know its hard to believe though for some fans who only look at scoring stats.

Overall, this post lacked a lot of hockey sense. From comparing Pahlsson to Sturm to saying purposing some 2nds and Ellington for Ott

6) Sturm couldn't skate well enough to roll with this team, largely due to the injuries and surgeries on both knees. Pahlsson has not had to contend with that, allowing him to stay fairly mobile.

#65 SOB for MVP

SOB for MVP

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,132 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 01:17 AM

Another terrible thread. Please figure out what you are talking about before you make another one

Posted Image

sig by -VC-

#66 uber_pwnzor

uber_pwnzor

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 02:14 AM

Yeah, 'cause MG brought him here for his scoring ability... Idiotic thread.

#67 marleau_12

marleau_12

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,286 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 02:26 AM

Hopefully this can become one of the threads that can go alongside the Bieksa and Burrows ones.
Posted Image

#68 {nhl}

{nhl}

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 02:39 AM

6) Sturm couldn't skate well enough to roll with this team, largely due to the injuries and surgeries on both knees. Pahlsson has not had to contend with that, allowing him to stay fairly mobile.

another reason why phalsson is more valuable.
Sturm wasn't fast enough and good enough at what was supposed to be his skill sets. Pahlsson still in solid at what he does.
NOBODY BEATS WILLIE

#69 Buurrrr

Buurrrr

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 04:52 AM

Pahlsson has more points as a Canucks(GP: 15, 5 pts) then Sturm for his whole season (GP:44. 3 pts) lol

#70 Pride

Pride

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 04:59 AM

op clearly knows very little about the game.

what a joke lol

#71 Nashi

Nashi

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,921 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 08:01 AM

He is contributing to this team.

canucks141.png

#72 Edler's Mind Tricks

Edler's Mind Tricks

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,895 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 08:48 AM

Lmao this is by far the best way to troll. Wow.

Hockey Management Intern for UBC Thunderbirds.
Associate Editor for Dobber Sports Network.
Designing a UBC Hockey Management Degree.

#73 TheCammer

TheCammer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 09:11 AM

Just something I am worried about:

Gillis has been known to pick up players past their prime: (Sundin, demitra, Sturm, all the tryouts, now Pahlsson)

This guy has 2 goals this season. Marco Sturm has scored as many goals as he has. And on a crap team like Columbus, Sammy should have had a more important role. If he can't score where he is much more valuable, what make MG think he can now.

All I know is that all the TSN/Sportsnet/ESPN guys were talking about how this guy is well past his prime, and they are skeptical of whether he even does anything.

I feel we could have gotton a Moen/Ott type guy for a couple 2nd's and Ellington. That to me would have been a better use of our $$$. Pahlsson is not even worth a conditional pick, nevermind two 4th's AND Ellington!

Thoughts?

PS: As much as we are all pissed about the SIGNIFICANT downgrade this TD, lets not talk about our Golden boy anymore, because we need to move on. (somehow)

I'm a bit embarrassed for you with this post. Watch him play and assess, not the scoresheet. Right now he is centering arguably our most effective line and doing a hell of a job in our end.
258bdr6.jpg

#74 Hugemanskost

Hugemanskost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,382 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 09:54 AM

JohnnyCanuck46 just another Clutch?

:lol:

Pahlsson is doing exactly what he should be doing... shutting down opponent's scoring lines. He is invisible much of the time which means he is doing his job. The fact he is scoring lately is a bonus!

:towel: :canucks:

Edited by lof, 31 March 2012 - 09:56 AM.

webkit-fake-url://D8829558-F65F-49B9-9829-A7DFC7F2E6E4/application.pdf

:towel: :canucks:

#75 thad

thad

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,510 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:09 AM

Lol @ "significant downgrade"

This is the best third line we've had since kesler and burrows

#76 Scottish⑦Canuck

Scottish⑦Canuck

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,961 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:10 AM

I actually groaned when I read the OP...

#77 BobLoblaw

BobLoblaw

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:26 AM

You don't measure Pahlsson by the number of points he puts up. You measure him by the number of points the guy he's matched up against doesn't put up. For example, he was matched up against the Ryder line much of last night. If you didn't notice Ryder, then Pahlsson did his job.

#78 Snake Doctor

Snake Doctor

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,436 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:33 AM

When did Clutch get a new account?
Posted Image

#79 Tyler18

Tyler18

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:43 AM

You can't compare what Pahlsson brings to the table to what Marco Sturm does. Sturm is the greatest player ever to touch the ice, no one has intangibles like him. While Pahlsson is just a effective third line shutdown guy that almost won Conn Smythe. Sturm is the reason Cody was mature enough to handle top minutes in Buffalo.

Obvs sarcasm in case you missed the Sturm is next Uwe Krupp thread

#80 awalk

awalk

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,960 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 11:15 AM

3rd line shut down C not scoring enough GOALZZZZZZZZ for ya? That's weird. DURP!

Herpa derp derp!

Goalzzzz

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.