The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

BC teacher strike

You have a choice to vote or not, teachers don't have the option whether they want to be in the or not. If a teacher wants to opt-out, they should have the option to.

With contractors, you have control of what their duties are. Eg. If I hire a contract to build a house, he just doesn't do whatever he wants and builds me a car. Certain criteria must be met. For control, it would give more control to the Ministry of Education and the school boards, not to the union. If a teacher is doing poorly, they can be easily replaced. Those willing to fork in more time will be paid accordingly, those slacking off will be paid less.

As for less taxes, teachers' taxes doesn't make that big of an impact of the overall government revenue. But either way, the province will have less money, whether they have to pay more to the teachers or collect less since the teachers can deduct more. Since I believe government should be taxing less, I just simply agree with the less taxation part... although the net benefits for the teacher are practically the same.

Whether it will cost the province more money or not, it's up for debate, since I don't have the stats. We all know about the teachers who spends the extra time, but we don't hear much about the ones that slacks off, and I bet there are lots of those too.

But this isn't a 1 solution to fix all problems, the whole system needs to be revamped. More resources and stuff directly for kids to let them perform better and kids who do well requires less additional attention from teachers, meaning less stress load. Obviously it's not just as simplistic as that, but we have to realize that the education system is for the children, not for the teachers.

here are what BC teacher make compare to other provinces

B.C. teachers salaries and how they compare to other provinces

Global News : Wednesday, February 29, 2012 3:41 PM

Teachers have planned specific actions this week.

Postmedia News

A big sticking point in the current B.C. teachers’ dispute is salary, so we decided to examine the numbers to see how our province’s teachers stack up.

The following salaries are current as of 2011; the most current salary figures available.

Salary ranges for teachers with five years of university education (degree with teaching certificate):

Vancouver: $48,083 (min) - $74.353 (max) (second lowest)

Calgary: $61,038 (min) - $95,073 (max)

Toronto: $50,739 (min) - $87,882 (max)

Nova Scotia: $48,020 (min) – $68,536 (max)

Salary ranges for teachers with a minimum of six years of university education (degree with teaching certificate, plus Masters):

Vancouver: $52,823 (min) - $81,488 (max) (lowest)

Calgary: $64,905 (min) - $98,938 (max)

Toronto: $54,333 (min) - $92,878 (max)

Nova Scotia: $62,946 (min) – $85,699 (max)

All statistics obtained from the British Columbia Teachers Federation research department.

http://www.globaltvb...1600/story.html

If you look at the other provinces most are much higher than BC we are the second lowest

And you do? It wasn't too long since I was in high school, and I clearly remember the torturous times under brutal teachers. Teachers should be paid on how well they teach, not for how long they've had their position. Instead of measuring how well the teachers are doing through letter grades, why not measure their teaching ability by how their students improve within the same specific school? That way, even in poorer neighbourhoods where less able children may live in, you can still compare how teachers are doing relative to their co-workers.

I've stayed in touch with old teachers of mine, and most agree that there should be standardized tests. There's very little accountability,

Instead of criticizing, why don't you think of a solution smarty-pants?

- I'm only stating a quick example of how they might gauge teaching ability, but can we not all agree that wonderful teachers may not be getting enough, and that some lazy teachers should definitely not be rewarded with a higher salary.

Standardized testing is a completely bias way to guage a teachers ability. Not sure how these so called teacher friends of yours would feel about being paid based on these results. Maybe you should go ask them sport.

If you want standardized test results to determine a teachers pay then you will have to implement standardized testing for parenting as well.

Guest The Brown Burrows

I heard that many students are planning to walkout... anyone else heard of that? The walkout is supposedly to tell the government that the students are on the teachers side.

Guest The Brown Burrows

Yeah, pretty much I guess. I'm sure it's not going to happen.....when I was in school we planned similar events (not for previous strikes obviously) but none of the events never worked out.

I heard about this from my brother. He's still in high school (grade 12).

Yeah, pretty much I guess. I'm sure it's not going to happen.....when I was in school we planned similar events (not for previous strikes obviously) but none of the events never worked out.

I heard about this from my brother. He's still in high school (grade 12).

Yeah, because you're sure skipping when you're leaving with 26 minutes left! :picard: Coming from an actual High School student which a single one hasn't seemed to post, It's a walkout on Friday, around 2 PM, showing support for the teachers. Why? Because as a student I was, as well with my friends used to around 23-24 students in a class, now I have two classes with 31 students, and another one with 29. Teaching for the teachers have become harder, they are visually stressed, and the work they have to do has increased exponentially. It's very fustrating as a student knowing we aren't getting the best teaching possible.

Odd because my school didn't get off school that early on Fridays.

Also, when I was in high school, I was never in a class less than 28 students. I, as a student, never felt like I wasn't getting the best teaching possible when there was a capable teacher handling the class. I did feel like the curriculum doesn't prepare you for the transition to post-secondary though.

87% of teachers vote in favour of escalating job action.

VANCOUVER - The British Columbia Teachers' Federation says 87 per cent of its teachers have voted in favour of a strike.

It says of 32,209 ballots cast, 27,946 voted "yes" in a vote on the escalation of current job action.

These results still do not mean a walk out will happen, but the vote is an agreement to escalate job action to withdraw all services.

The results come after six months of teachers skipping their administrative tasks failed to get the province to budge on contract demands.

The dispute came to a head on Tuesday when the teachers' union won the right to walk off the job and the government introduced legislation on the same day imposing a cooling-off period in hopes of averting a walkout.

The union is asking for a 15 per cent wage increase and improved benefits.

The provincial government says that can't happen under its so-called "net-zero" mandate, in which public sector workers can't receive pay increases unless the added costs are offset by concessions elsewhere in a contract.

The Labour Relations Board ruled on Tuesday that teachers were allowed to take an initial three-day strike, and then one day per week afterwards, as long as parents were given two days advance notice.

Hours later, Education Minister George Abbott announced a bill that would suspend all strike and lockout activities and appointed a mediator to develop a set of non-binding recommendations by the end of the school year.

The teachers' union rejected the bill as a "political" and "phoney" process that will only lead to a "pre-determined" end to the ongoing dispute.

© The Canadian Press, 2012

Archived