The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

BC teacher strike

I'm really just fishing for information here, so don't jump on me anyone.

How many Pro-D days in a year?

How many days worked in a year?

How many mandatory hours worked in a year?

Class sizes? Both high school and elementary?

Responsibilities outside of lesson plans?

I've heard and read some outrageous claims from both sides and I'd just like to get some perspective on this.

10 days bereavement leave (includes close friends?) plus 2 days travel?

15% increase over 3 years?

2.2 Billion increase in wages out of taxpayers dollars?

Sick days carry over? Up to 120 days of compassionate care leave? Fully paid?

I read some article that stated at the maximum wage + benefits and pension a teacher can earn the equivalent of 125k a year in B.C. Is this true?

I have googled this, and I will continue to do so. I have just found that CDC forums can be an incredibly useful source for information. *Cough* Wetcoaster *Cough*

Found some information.

Standard School Calendar

http://www.bced.gov....on/stdcal03.pdf

Workload issues for B.C. Teachers (Survey)

http://bctf.ca/uploa...09/Chapter3.pdf

2011 Canadian teacher salary rankings: Provinces and Territories

After reading through these a bit, I found that, on average, teachers work 47.8 hours a week, working just under 40 weeks a year and make anywhere from $45909 to $74353 a year. Rough math works that out to $23.91 to $38.72 an hour.

Guest The Brown Burrows

Three day weekend!

I look forward to the lower traffic on monday. Dare I take the Alex Fraser on the way in?

6 years of school is pretty standard now a days. Every other person now a days has a Bachelor's degree of some sort (which are also given out like candy). Then a lot of people usually do 2 year programs afterwords to add practical skills on top of their theoretical knowledge.

People in IT need to continuously take courses, read books, and stay up to date with the latest trends and technologies. I'm expected to read books and give presentations at work, and I am expected to do that on my own time. And I get no "Pro D Day" to do it.

Same as accountants who need to study and take exams for their designations. It's an ongoing process that isn't complete even after you are handed that rolled up piece of paper with a ribbon on it.

If you want to compare "importance" as a scale of pay then garbage men should be the highest on the pay scale and hockey players should be near the bottom.

I don't think that teachers need a big raise. In fact, if they just give them a 2% yearly raise, it would suffice.

I have an issue in the worsening classroom composition and how government is trying to put more and more on public teacher's plates. They have continually cut resources away over the last 10 years (I heard a figure that the education funding went from %25 of the budget to %16 currently)

On the flipside, you have private schools that are getting funding from the Province and that's what irks me. If everybody drives a Civic, why are we supplementing some to drive a Lexus.

6 years of school is pretty standard now a days. Every other person now a days has a Bachelor's degree of some sort (which are also given out like candy). Then a lot of people usually do 2 year programs afterwords to add practical skills on top of their theoretical knowledge.

People in IT need to continuously take courses, read books, and stay up to date with the latest trends and technologies. I'm expected to read books and give presentations at work, and I am expected to do that on my own time. And I get no "Pro D Day" to do it.

Same as accountants who need to study and take exams for their designations. It's an ongoing process that isn't complete even after you are handed that rolled up piece of paper with a ribbon on it.

Your argument that since you don't get paid as much others shouldn't doesn't hold water I'm afraid. If we paid people based on total education required NHL players would make minimum wage.

Then teachers need to stop making arguments that they need to get paid more just cuz they did 6 years of post-secondary. Cuz a lot of other people did too, and $40k a year is typical for as a starting wage for a lot of jobs. And a teacher's starting wage is $40k, and they get their 10 weeks off.

A friend of mine who's on facebook liked this little satirical piece, thought it's worth a read:

Are you sick of high paid teachers? Teachers’ hefty salaries are driving up taxes, and they only work 9 or 10 months a year! It’s time we put things in perspective and pay them for what they do - baby sit! We can get that for less than minimum wage.

That’s right. Let’s give them $3.00 an hour and only the hours they worked; not any of that silly planning time, or any time they spend before or after school. That would be $19.50 a day (7:45 to 3:00 PM

with 45 min. off for lunch and plan — that equals 6 1/2 hours).

Each parent should pay $19.50 a day for these teachers to baby-sit their children.

Now how many do they teach in day…maybe 30? So that’s $19.50 x 30 = $585.00 a day. However, remember they only work 180 days a year!!! I am not going to pay them for any vacations.

LET’S SEE…. That’s $585 X 180= $105,300 peryear. (Hold on! My calculator needs new batteries).

What about those special education teachers and the ones with Master’s degrees? Well, we could pay them minimum wage ($7.75), and just to be fair, round it off to $8.00 an hour. That would be $8 X 6 1/2 hours X 30 children

X 180 days = $280,800 per year.

Wait a minute — there’s something wrong here! There sure is!

The average teacher’s salary (nation wide) is $50,000. $50,000/180 days = $277.77/per day/30 students=$9.25/6.5 hours = $1.42 per hour per student–a very inexpensive baby-sitter and they even EDUCATE your kids!)

WHAT A DEAL!!!!

Added 2/21/11---WARNING...for all of you who are having a breakdown right now and don't realize it...this is SARCASM!!!

That works out to $19.23 an hour. 6 years of university for 19.23 per hour? Seriously? And for teachers they are salaried based on 2080 hours over the school year. They do not get paid more for pulling a 10 or 12 hour day. So although not a majority a good chunk of that vacation time is really luie time for unpaid overtime. And again "Cuz a lot of other people did too"??? where and who with 6 years university would be willing to work at $19.23 per hour in Canada. You wouldn't able to afford the student loan payments let alone get ahead at that rate lol

I have two young kids, one in school and one a few years away. Although I do agree that it is a very important profession, teachers are far from being compared to doctors. They do not and will not teach my children the most important lessons in life. That's our jobs as parents.

There are plenty of important jobs out there. If I were to be in a car accident, I would be counting on the repair technician to keep my family safe if we were to be hit again. If the electricians, plumbers, construction workers, gas fitters, collision repair guys etc of the world don't do their job correctly, lives are at risk.

If a teacher messes up, or doesnt' care to do their job correctly... I will have still taught my kids common sense, how to manage money, how to drive, how to treat others etc. I can guarantee that I have spent more time teaching my 6 year old how to read than his teacher has. Parents play a huge role in a childs developement, learning and self esteem/confidence.

Again, teachers have important jobs; so do many other people who make far less, have less benefits, less time off and deal with a higher level of risk. Anyone hear any of these people complain about their wages/benefits in the media?

I would love to see the BCTF disband and wipe the slate clean. From what I understand, there are approx 1700 teachers out there without jobs. In the real world, when the supply outweighs the demand, it drives the market down. I'm willing to bet that those 1700 that can't land a job would be more than happy to take 50-60k (or the current salaries even) plus reasonable benefits, over serving tables at earls.

I have two young kids, one in school and one a few years away. Although I do agree that it is a very important profession, teachers are far from being compared to doctors. They do not and will not teach my children the most important lessons in life. That's our jobs as parents.

There are plenty of important jobs out there. If I were to be in a car accident, I would be counting on the repair technician to keep my family safe if we were to be hit again. If the electricians, plumbers, construction workers, gas fitters, collision repair guys etc of the world don't do their job correctly, lives are at risk.

If a teacher messes up, or doesnt' care to do their job correctly... I will have still taught my kids common sense, how to manage money, how to drive, how to treat others etc. I can guarantee that I have spent more time teaching my 6 year old how to read than his teacher has. Parents play a huge role in a childs developement, learning and self esteem/confidence.

Again, teachers have important jobs; so do many other people who make far less, have less benefits, less time off and deal with a higher level of risk. Anyone hear any of these people complain about their wages/benefits in the media?

I would love to see the BCTF disband and wipe the slate clean. From what I understand, there are approx 1700 teachers out there without jobs. In the real world, when the supply outweighs the demand, it drives the market down. I'm willing to bet that those 1700 that can't land a job would be more than happy to take 50-60k (or the current salaries even) plus reasonable benefits, over serving tables at earls.

Its not just about teacher wage in creases its also about proper funding .there have been so many school closures over the past 10 years leading to over crowded class rooms .Teachers in my opinion have the most important job in helping parents build a solid foundation for children to take on the world and succeed

Archived