The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

BC teacher strike

Simple solutions:

- dissolve the teacher's union

- have each teacher as a hire contractor where their performance can be measured (teacher can also tax deduct work-related expenses like car, supplies, pc, etc)

For Students:

- leased computers

- mandatory breakfast/lunch

- allow students to clean schools (simple duties) for course credits/food vouchers

- more in-depth career planning for senior students

I can't say I know much about this topic, but I thought I could put in a few possible suggestions.

Would student evaluations combined with evaluations from principals work? Also maybe a standardized test at the beginning of the year and one at the end to gauge improvements. These will not be graded by the teacher themselves to avoid grade boosting.

I just want to hear about the pros and cons of these from people that actually have more knowledge about it.

I can't say I know much about this topic, but I thought I could put in a few possible suggestions.

Would student evaluations combined with evaluations from principals work? Also maybe a standardized test at the beginning of the year and one at the end to gauge improvements. These will not be graded by the teacher themselves to avoid grade boosting.

I just want to hear about the pros and cons of these from people that actually have more knowledge about it.

I think the student body as a whole can give a good view of how capable a teacher is. A good teacher is a good teacher and the lazy ones will stand out. It doesn't have to be the only deciding factor, but it can be useful after a few years of data to gauge how well a teacher is doing overall. Universities have student evaluations. It just brings to attention what could be improved and what the teacher is doing right.

I'm not suggesting those ideas are solutions, but I would like to have a discussion about it rather than hearing it is dumb. I don't mean to offend anyone with those ideas, but if you don't like it, I would like to hear why because it's a topic that I haven't really looked into.

standardized testing means teachers would just teach to the test. Having students evaluate teachers is just plain silly, the teacher all the students like isn't necessarily the best teacher. I remember a teacher that just showed movies all day and let kids come and go from the class as they please, he was super popular with the kids but I didn't learn a damn thing from him.I also had teachers that made me stay after class for extra help on subjects, provide pages of comments on assignments and facilicated assignments and dicussions that forced me to think about an issue in a way I otherwise wouldn't have. At the time I wasn't a huge fan of these teachers but looking back on it now I know how much work and dedication they put into helping me learn and get to were I am today.

Despite of the supposed "barriers" in becoming a teacher, ie. low wage, high training costs, etc. etc. why are more and more people flocking to the teaching profession? BC has a huge surplus of teachers, and none of these teachers are retiring or switching professions anytime soon with 15 weeks off a year and pension for life.

Obviously the pros of being a teacher far outweigh the cons.

In addition, people are having less kids now a days, so expect decreased enrollment in schools.

That's fair. I don't know how much education it takes to become an elementary school teacher. Is it the same as one that teaches high school? Based on myself as an elementary student, I think I was able to form an objective (maybe slightly biased) opinion on how well I was taught. Would the standardized testing not work in an elementary school setting? I'm having a hard time remembering how I was even evaluated in grades 1 and 2.

Same education required - a Bachelors, followed by a BEd.

Inane has a point - this could work in the upper levels, but for younger students who are still trying to figure out how to tie their shoes (see: grade 2s), they might not be able to form a basic idea about their teacher other than "i like him" or "i like her".

hardly the evidence you want to use to judge a teacher's capabilities with.

Yeah makes sense, but there are still expectations of teaching in the lower grades, so there could be a system to gauge  and improvements of the students. Definitely harder to do, but I think the ones that aren't trying would surely stand out more than the ones that try. I'm sure someone in the industry could think of a good system.

I just thought I'd start a discussion about it, I'm definitely not in the know about these things, so good to hear some opinions.

Same education required - a Bachelors, followed by a BEd.

Inane has a point - this could work in the upper levels, but for younger students who are still trying to figure out how to tie their shoes (see: grade 2s), they might not be able to form a basic idea about their teacher other than "i like him" or "i like her".

hardly the evidence you want to use to judge a teacher's capabilities with.

With younger kids, if almost each and every single one of them don't like a certain teacher, the teacher is probably doing something wrong in their methodology or attitude.

As for how the evaluation works...

- use only standardized exams to remove any biased from teachers

- balance the good rating from top students with low rating for struggling students

- comparison to the other students from other classes

- peer evaluation from other teachers in the faculty as well as administrators

- parents input

- measure students' current performance with previous and subsequent years

There are probably many more other criteria they can use to judge teachers.

A few years back some guy wrote a letter to the Vancouver sun saying teachers were nothing more than babysitters.

A teacher wrote back that if that's all he is then just pay him like one and you won't hear from him again.

30 kids at $5 an hour equals $150 per hour.

If the teachers sign for anything more than net zero then every other contract the province signed gets re-opened.

We're running far too much in debt for their to be raises and rest assured if you think it's bad now JUST WAIT.

Fact of the matter is that we have a surplus of teachers and even if there was a rash of mass quittings there's more than enough young teachers waiting in the wings to fill the ranks at lower cost.

Our friend a few posts back can go ahead and sell his soul and be a laywer and make more money but that will come at the price of longer hours and typically not nearly as good a client. His decision and it's not like there isn't someone waiting to replace him.

If the BCTF wants to make net zero by a massive elimination of the older part time teachers that are in the top pay scale and sucking up the money a forced retirement clause would leave lots of money for raises for the rest of the teacher and create a lot more jobs at the entry level.

Archived