The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

BC teacher strike

I was talking about the "walkout", which will be happening at 2PM, and my school ends at 2:26, don't see how you get that mixed up. Also, it's not like the teachers are bad at teaching, it's just they seem stressed, we have overcrowded classes, and it makes teaching that much harder, especially when my English teacher doesn't even have a preparation block, has my class of 31 students, and who knows how much she has in her 3 other blocks.

Wow, there is so much going on around this issue, I'm not ever sure where to start.

I could start by talking about the valuable work that teachers do (they are labelled an 'essential' service after all aren't they?). Or I could talk about how charter rights are being violated with anti-union legislation and LRB rulings.

But let's start with how the rights of workers -- and that's most of you believe it or not -- have been set back over a century in recent years. For those of you freeloaders who have never paid union dues or walked a picket line, let me enlighten you as to the origins of many of the privileges you enjoy. Little things really, like the weekend, the forty hour work week, health and safety regulations, minimum wage, or ending child labour, etc.... Every single one of those 'rights' was brought to you by organized labour.

Sit back and think. Think. What do you think this is really all about? Who benefits by making sure teachers (and every other public sector union) receive zero wage increase? I'm sure that having over 30,000 taxpayers in this province make a little more money couldn't possibly benefit the economy. Oh no, wait, that's the whole rationale behind tax cuts. Hmmm...so workers having more money in their pockets is a good thing. Next. Where has the money gone? Who gets the tax cuts?

Oh, wait, we want to benefit students. What better way to benefit students than by cutting education budgets? Quick fact: zero increases + inflation = wage/service cut. (Side note: who on the public dole has gotten increases? Google it.)

What this really boils down to is two things: (1) The race to the bottom. The economy sucks. Life is hard. I'm struggling, so everybody should struggle. People who don't have the benefit of being represented by a union often love to hate unions. Why? Because unions improve working conditions for workers. Instead of dragging the rest of us down (oh yeah, I'm a dues paying union member, though not a teacher), why don't you lift yourself up? And you call us freeloaders and bums. (2) Inconvenience. Public education for a lot of people is really just free babysitting. What does it really mean to you when teachers go on strike. "Oh damn, what will I do with my kid?" It gets dressed up as all manner of other issues, but really the issue is that a whole bunch of people now have to find child care. That is a significant problem for a lot of people, but who brought us here?

The government has had every opportunity to negotiate a contract, but planned to legislate all along. It is your government -- YOURS -- that brought us here, so look there for an explanation as to why.

A while down the road, when your employer informs you not only that you have no say regarding your work conditions and that you will, in fact, face significant fines if you object to those conditions, think of this moment, right now, and remember how you thought it was a great idea.

I didn't get it mixed up. Just my high school wasn't off at 2:26 on a Friday.

I understand the stresses that can come from overcrowding. I thought it was going up to 35-40 students or something considering when I was in high school about 8 years ago, I was already in classes of 28-30. It didn't feel that bad at that time of how stressful it seemed for the teachers.

My school doesn't get off any different for Friday than any other day. All I was saying was that the student walkout isn't another way of skipping school when the walkout is happening 26 minutes before school would've regularly ended.

Let's look at this reasonably - what do private sector jobs make on average for 4-6 years of university? Let's also add up every single minute worked by teachers and average it over the year.

So what is the average wage of people with on average 5 years university?

What is the yearly total of hours worked divided by 52 ?

When the anti teacher crowd finishes they will see the bargain they get currently - gives some insight as to why they are asking for a raise and why the government will sell its soul to redirect the argument by any means possible.

You really need a refresher course in Math.........or summer school......... in Grade 1. The last I heard, July and August = 2 months........ 1 + 1 = 2

Unless you go to a school that regularly gets JUNE, July and August off........... 1 + 1 + 1 = 3

If you're going to get all fired up about something, at least make sure you know how to count and that you have your facts straight...........you won't look quite so foolish and ridiculous.

teachers are salaried not by the hour. How much of that time is considered time in luie? I work in Health Care and my manager gets 4 months off per year because she can never get overtime but works 12 hour days most of the time ... I think most teachers would be happy to move to an hourly rate of pay and be paid for every hour worked - would be a huge raise for most

A lot of us put in 12-14hour days for those 8months we work. You think your children are a wonderful joy to be around at 13-17 years old? We should get compensated fairly for putting up with some of them and we are at our current wage. Some of us teachers do more parenting than the parents.

In a work year for most jobs there is 261days of payable work, at 8hours a day that is just under 2100hours for the average worker who puts in their time at the office. Teachers only work about 180days? probably more ive never counted, at a conservative 10hours a day that is 1800hours and i have never put in less than 11 in my career. I would say i average 13, so for 60thousand the province is getting a great deal from me. 60000/2100hours is around $28 an hour. My brother makes $26.25 an hour driving a dump truck around the lower mainland with no education or student loans to payback. I owed over $90000 when i graduated with a masters in mathematics.

Teachers put in 8hour work days from 8-4, and then we go home to mark, prepare the next days lessons, agonize over students who skip, don't want to learn, are doing drugs, are being bullied and some abused by their parents.

We act as counselors, parents, mediators, and finally teachers to help the next generation meet their potential. If i was interested in money i would have gone into daycare i could make a lot more money. However i have a true passion for teaching and helping students achieve their goals. I take great pride in seeing my students 3-4years later graduating and going onto the best & toughest years of their lives hopefully enriched and prepared by what i have taught them.

I do not want to strike, i have never thought it benefited anyone, it causes too much backlash from parents. However what recourse do we have when the province continues to slash funding like its a rollback at walmart? I honestly wish we could come up with a better solution and a fair contract, i would be more than happy with a 0% wage increase as would a lot of teachers. However in bargaining you must start high if you want to get what you want. What i want is my class size back so i can actually teach my students and not lecture like a university, i want tools and funding to help me prepare better lessons. I don;t think that is too unreasonable. Also would textbooks that aren't 10years old & falling apart be too much to ask?

sorry for the rambling i am not an english teacher for a reason!

Archived