The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

BC teacher strike

Non sequitir. Just because teachers may have grounds for raises doesn't necessarily mean all of other government employee's have grounds to re negotiate their contracts which may or may not have expired.

Fair enough, but if you believe in justice and you consider yourself to privy to fair wages then you shouldn't be so worried. Whatever the case something will have to be worked out. No one said life is going to be easy.

This just begs the question though whether such a situation is equitably fair. Also, it has the consequence of not attracting skilled people into the trade. If you were going to make crap pay as a doctor, would you invest your time and money into becoming one???

At least now you offer a solution but again, would you want to be forced out of your job early if you have a mortgage to pay, children to feed or just need to earn a living? Ridiculous reasoning you display.

A lot of us put in 12-14hour days for those 8months we work. You think your children are a wonderful joy to be around at 13-17 years old? We should get compensated fairly for putting up with some of them and we are at our current wage. Some of us teachers do more parenting than the parents.

In a work year for most jobs there is 261days of payable work, at 8hours a day that is just under 2100hours for the average worker who puts in their time at the office. Teachers only work about 180days? probably more ive never counted, at a conservative 10hours a day that is 1800hours and i have never put in less than 11 in my career. I would say i average 13, so for 60thousand the province is getting a great deal from me. 60000/2100hours is around $28 an hour. My brother makes $26.25 an hour driving a dump truck around the lower mainland with no education or student loans to payback. I owed over $90000 when i graduated with a masters in mathematics.

Teachers put in 8hour work days from 8-4, and then we go home to mark, prepare the next days lessons, agonize over students who skip, don't want to learn, are doing drugs, are being bullied and some abused by their parents.

We act as counselors, parents, mediators, and finally teachers to help the next generation meet their potential. If i was interested in money i would have gone into daycare i could make a lot more money. However i have a true passion for teaching and helping students achieve their goals. I take great pride in seeing my students 3-4years later graduating and going onto the best & toughest years of their lives hopefully enriched and prepared by what i have taught them.

I do not want to strike, i have never thought it benefited anyone, it causes too much backlash from parents. However what recourse do we have when the province continues to slash funding like its a rollback at walmart? I honestly wish we could come up with a better solution and a fair contract, i would be more than happy with a 0% wage increase as would a lot of teachers. However in bargaining you must start high if you want to get what you want. What i want is my class size back so i can actually teach my students and not lecture like a university, i want tools and funding to help me prepare better lessons. I don;t think that is too unreasonable. Also would textbooks that aren't 10years old & falling apart be too much to ask?

sorry for the rambling i am not an english teacher for a reason!

Overtime argument is moot. Everyone works overtime now a days in this economy. If you want to be a Chartered Accountant that makes $80k+ a year, you better be prepared to do 16 hr days from Feb-May.

You really need a refresher course in Math.........or summer school......... in Grade 1. The last I heard, July and August = 2 months........ 1 + 1 = 2

Unless you go to a school that regularly gets JUNE, July and August off........... 1 + 1 + 1 = 3

If you're going to get all fired up about something, at least make sure you know how to count and that you have your facts straight...........you won't look quite so foolish and ridiculous.

Having dated a teacher, I can assure you that their workdays are generally 10-12 hours as opposed to 8.

Biggest tools are people that work industrial jobs, and other 9-5ers like me, that think that being a teacher is just another job.

It's not.

I don't want just any Joe Schmoe teaching my kids just like I don't want any Jane Doe operating on me in the emergency room.

6 years of school is pretty standard now a days. Every other person now a days has a Bachelor's degree of some sort (which are also given out like candy). Then a lot of people usually do 2 year programs afterwords to add practical skills on top of their theoretical knowledge.

People in IT need to continuously take courses, read books, and stay up to date with the latest trends and technologies. I'm expected to read books and give presentations at work, and I am expected to do that on my own time. And I get no "Pro D Day" to do it.

Same as accountants who need to study and take exams for their designations. It's an ongoing process that isn't complete even after you are handed that rolled up piece of paper with a ribbon on it.

I'm really just fishing for information here, so don't jump on me anyone.

How many Pro-D days in a year?

How many days worked in a year?

How many mandatory hours worked in a year?

Class sizes? Both high school and elementary?

Responsibilities outside of lesson plans?

I've heard and read some outrageous claims from both sides and I'd just like to get some perspective on this.

10 days bereavement leave (includes close friends?) plus 2 days travel?

15% increase over 3 years?

2.2 Billion increase in wages out of taxpayers dollars?

Sick days carry over? Up to 120 days of compassionate care leave? Fully paid?

I read some article that stated at the maximum wage + benefits and pension a teacher can earn the equivalent of 125k a year in B.C. Is this true?

I have googled this, and I will continue to do so. I have just found that CDC forums can be an incredibly useful source for information. *Cough* Wetcoaster *Cough*

Archived