The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] This Offseason

I hadn't really been thinking about this too much but recently I read a blog by Ian Esplen seen here:

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=42494

Essentially, for those of you who don't care to follow the link and read it, he goes on to explain that both Columbus and Tampa have acquired a second first round pick heading into this years draft. These two teams are both in desperate need of a goaltender and in the case of the Blue Jackets, they likely even had a shot at one in Bernier when making the deal with the Kings. This suggests that they are truly fixed on someone else to fix their problem. Perhaps it's our Cory Schneider?

Undoubtedly there is going to be a market for Schneider and the price is not going to be cheap. What I want to know is this:

1) Would you be satisfied (or even excited) if CS was traded for a pair of first rounders (at least one of which being a top ten)?

and

2) What exactly would you like to see as far as a return from him if not picks?

In any case, the Varlamov deal would have to be the starting point.

1) yes I would be happy with 2 first round picks if 1 of them was a top 10, and this would be the ideal situation if the nucks win the cup. 4-5 years down the line we will need to have a change in some of our core, and if we are truly trying to go the Detroit route, getting them now so we have timeto properly develop them.

2) can not think of a name on the top of my head, but ideally a young top 4 defenseman who shoots right who can be deployed on our PP

Just because one GM completely overpaid for Varlamov doesn't mean that's the kind of return you'll get for Schneider. Thats like saying becasue the Rangers got Higgins and Mcdonough in return for Gomez that the starting price for Montreal to trade Gomez is a top 9 forward and a blue-chip defensive prospect. I think people in here need to lower their expectatons on what kind of return Schneider will garner.

He's very good, but so far he's strictly been in a back-up role. Reimer shone last year in a back-up role but has cratered under the weight of being a starter. MOST gm's arent going to overpay for a guy who has a grand total of 59 NHL games under his belt. But who knows Gillis might find a sucker to pay through the nose

(if Sami Pahlsson/ Max Lapierre/ Manny prove that they're not able to contribute enough offensively on the 3rd line and if Kes/ the Twins don't perform) I'd love to get someone to get back some scoring depth on the 3rd line like a Ryan Johansen, just to save him from going down the same path as Filatov, Brassard, etc. or conversely someone who's more of a balance between the two so then the bottom 6 aren't reduced to just being shutdown lines (as talented as Pahlsson may be and despite his scoring at the same clip as Henrik... that was in the Swedish Elite League; would really like to get someone who's more two way)

CONSIDERING HODGESON IS GONE, AND EVERYONE IS MAKING A BIG STINK. WE HAVE SCHNIEDER IN THE BANK TO TRADE FOR A POTENITAL YOUNG UP AND COMING STAR. NOT SURE IF OPPOSING TEAMS WOULD DO THIS BUT GUYS LIKE GUDBRANSON, ELLERBY, BRETT CONNELLY, GNORMLEY

OR TRY TO PACKAGE SCHNIEDER + RAYMONDS RIGHTS (IF WORTH ANYTHING)

schneider will be one of the most sought over players at the draft....there will be several suitors for gillis to work out a deal with....i'ld say a first round pick, would be the starting point....columbus would kill to get him...

if we win the cup this year and lu and his wife yearn to move back home, maybe the canucks could trade him to tampa and keep the schneidman...

CONSIDERING HODGESON IS GONE, AND EVERYONE IS MAKING A BIG STINK. WE HAVE SCHNIEDER IN THE BANK TO TRADE FOR A POTENITAL YOUNG UP AND COMING STAR. NOT SURE IF OPPOSING TEAMS WOULD DO THIS BUT GUYS LIKE GUDBRANSON, ELLERBY, BRETT CONNELLY, GNORMLEY

OR TRY TO PACKAGE SCHNIEDER + RAYMONDS RIGHTS (IF WORTH ANYTHING)

Archived