Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

[Discussion] This Offseason

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
78 replies to this topic

#61 nd84

nd84

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,521 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 01:27 AM

package Raymonds rights, Schneider, a mid round pick for Hedman and a 1st! I wish.
Posted Image

#62 zombieksa

zombieksa

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,176 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 06:01 AM

I would love a trade or free agency to land us Weber like all CDCer's. But as a true Canucks fan I know this would affect our ability to sign both Edler and Burrows, and I am not okay with that. That being said with Salo, Raymond, and Ballard most likely coming out of the books soon. A solid Right D like Wideman/Green is not out of the question in the next year or 2.
"All religion, my friend, is simply evolved out of fraud, fear, greed, imagination, and poetry."
-Edgar Allen Poe

#63 Spitfire_Spiky

Spitfire_Spiky

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 761 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 08:00 AM

schneider will be one of the most sought over players at the draft....there will be several suitors for gillis to work out a deal with....i'ld say a first round pick, would be the starting point....columbus would kill to get him...
if we win the cup this year and lu and his wife yearn to move back home, maybe the canucks could trade him to tampa and keep the schneidman...

This is exactly what I want to happen. I just can't stand Luongo.
Mess with the Best, Die like the Rest

#64 22sedins33

22sedins33

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 867 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 11:32 AM

This is exactly what I want to happen. I just can't stand Luongo.

I can't really say that I hate Luongo. Before he came to the Canucks he was my favourite player and after he came here became a hero. That all being said, here and now looking at the two goalies that we have, I ask myself which I would miss more if he were gone... and it's definitely Schneider. The past few years has caused me to lose a lot of respect for Luongo both as a player and on a personal level. Schneider is a phenomenal goalie and just a great guy. The locker room would miss him and this team would too.
The day has only just begun and already your mind has snapped like a dry and brittle twig...

#65 The Sedin's 6th Sense

The Sedin's 6th Sense

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,431 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 12:33 AM

A better question... how much is Schneider worth with a cup ring on his finger?

This is a 'what if', but it is the million dollar
question.

Schneid's with a Ring would make things crazy!!!

Posted Image

"You know what my favourite Super Bowl is? The next one."

- Tom Brady

#66 Gollumpus

Gollumpus

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,818 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 01:04 PM

This is a 'what if', but it is the million dollar
question.

Schneid's with a Ring would make things crazy!!!

A ring without any game time wouldn't be that crazy. Usually a team rides a single goalie, so unless Schneider back-stops the team through to the finals then it would not be that big a deal.

Now, if he did a Ken Dryden that would be another story.

regards,
G.
Following the Canucks since before Don Cherry played here.

#67 22sedins33

22sedins33

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 867 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 01:28 PM

A ring without any game time wouldn't be that crazy. Usually a team rides a single goalie, so unless Schneider back-stops the team through to the finals then it would not be that big a deal.

Now, if he did a Ken Dryden that would be another story.

regards,
G.

But then how could we give up the next Patrick Roy? :frantic:
The day has only just begun and already your mind has snapped like a dry and brittle twig...

#68 Spyderr

Spyderr

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,522 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 12:12 PM

honestly I think no matter how you slice it luongo will be traded. Its going to be a huge move but a hockey move none the less. Younger and cheaper. Say 3.5 mill for 5 years probably gets it done. we save 2 mill from lu. Ballard gone at 4.2 and Manny gone at 2.5 as well as Raymond. 11.2 mil freed up with a goalie signed. we need atop 4 dman and 2 checking forwards. GOT GET A LEGIT DMAN. RYAN F'IN SUTER 7MIL a year. 2 checking players around 1 mil each we have money left and are way way way better off

Suter Edler
Hamhuis Bieksa
Salo Tanev
Grags

Lu I think gets a 1st round pick and 3rd liner

Edited by Spyderr, 08 March 2012 - 12:26 PM.

Come on LU

#69 NuckTime

NuckTime

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 02:48 PM

I would love to see Philly in the mix. Sean Couturier and a pick for Schneider or maybe expand it to include Coburn.

#70 22sedins33

22sedins33

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 867 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 06:24 PM

I would love to see Philly in the mix. Sean Couturier and a pick for Schneider or maybe expand it to include Coburn.

Oops... Looks like Bryz has decided to be good again. Let's wait a while and see how things play out :P

#71 Gollumpus

Gollumpus

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,818 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 07:40 PM

But then how could we give up the next Patrick Roy? :frantic:

No, no, the next Dryden. :P

Were Schneider to be the guy who "wins" the Cup for Vancouver then I could see the scenario occur where Luongo asks to be traded.

How likely is that to happen?

regards,
G.
Following the Canucks since before Don Cherry played here.

#72 erkayloomeh

erkayloomeh

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 929 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 08:53 PM

I hadn't really been thinking about this too much but recently I read a blog by Ian Esplen seen here:

http://www.hockeybuz...p?post_id=42494

Essentially, for those of you who don't care to follow the link and read it, he goes on to explain that both Columbus and Tampa have acquired a second first round pick heading into this years draft. These two teams are both in desperate need of a goaltender and in the case of the Blue Jackets, they likely even had a shot at one in Bernier when making the deal with the Kings. This suggests that they are truly fixed on someone else to fix their problem. Perhaps it's our Cory Schneider?

Undoubtedly there is going to be a market for Schneider and the price is not going to be cheap. What I want to know is this:

1) Would you be satisfied (or even excited) if CS was traded for a pair of first rounders (at least one of which being a top ten)?

and

2) What exactly would you like to see as far as a return from him if not picks?

Yes two first with one being a top ten would make me happy. we are a deep team and need to build for the future when our top six start to slow down.
GOD BE PRAISED

#73 jimsandlak83

jimsandlak83

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 04:01 PM

rumour had it Gillis was asking for hedman from tampa for Schneids..

Gillis wants an nhl ready player to step in.

options:

1) Tampa- Brett Connolly & 1st round pick

2) New Jersey- Adam Larsen

3) Columbus- Ryan Johansen & 1st or 2nd round pick

Yes some of you may think these trades are way too much and unrealistic but Schneider is ready for prime time.
He is heralded and praised by all the hockey minds as the best backup in the nhl and yes better than rask

He has also been seasoned for a couple of years in the nhl now while guys like Larsen, Johansen & connolly have only played one season. Theres a reason why Tampa is loading up on these picks and why Columbus didnt want bernier. Everybody wants Schneids and scouts from teams know he's the real deal now!

Personally i'd go for Ryan Johansen & a pick. BC BOY- This guy is going to be the next getzlaf and is a true playmaker with size that can learn the game on the 3rd line like Jordan staal did. It'd suck to face schneids in the west but we get a future star ourselves.

I agree,
I personally would go for Connolly or Ryan Johansen (preferably b/c he's a center) but they would have to take Ballard's Contract off our hands. And we use that money to sign Garrison. This would bring in 2 BC guys (if that matters to us). Garrison with good size (6'2, 215) could fill in a top 4 spot for Salo. With Tanev gaining more experience, he could anchor the last pairing.
If we do bring in Ryan Johansen. He might be able to bring a more offensive dimension, while Kesler can be a 2way threat, able to shut down the other team's top line (he would still be able to rack up points on the powerplay.)

Sedin Sedin Burr
Higgins Johansen Booth
Kassian Kesler Hansen
Weise Lappy Malholtra/Bitz/Volpatti/etc

Hamhuis Bieksa
Edler Garrison
Tanev Rome/ _____depth Dman

Luongo, Lack

Edited by jimsandlak83, 20 March 2012 - 04:02 PM.

#74 Karlsson`s Flo

Karlsson`s Flo

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,364 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 05:21 PM

I think Tampa is more desperate to get a goalie this offseason than Columbus, especially with Mason playing better with bigger equipment.

#75 22sedins33

22sedins33

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 867 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 07:56 AM

I think Tampa is more desperate to get a goalie this offseason than Columbus, especially with Mason playing better with bigger equipment.

Agreed. I've actually been really disappointed watching Mason doing so much better with the bigger pads. All that means is potentially one less bidder in what will likely be a Schneider auction OR at the very least one that feels that he's considerably less necessary.

#76 tonimator#19

tonimator#19

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 11:10 PM

options:

1)
to New Jersey= Schneider or Luongo
to Vancouver= Adam Larsen

2)

to Washington= Schneider or Luongo
to Vancouver= John Carlson + picks/prospects

3)

to Tampa Bay= Schneider or Luongo
to Vancouver= Brett Connolly + 1st Round pick + picks/prospects

4)

to Columbus= Schneider
to Vancouver= Ryan Johansen + picks/prospects

Best case scenario would be option 2 and getting John Carlson from the Capitals. His value is lower than Adam Larsen's who is very highly toughted atm. But Carlson has more experience under his belt and already bigger in size to Larsen.

Also depending on the outcome of the playoffs, we really need to shore up our defence and Carlson is the complete package of skill, size, toughness.
Gillis also inquired about Carlson when they asked about Hodgson before the trade deadline so he is already on Gillis' radar.

Getting Ryan Johansen who is a BC Boy, a physical specimen already at his age and a future Getzlaf type player is very tempting but any offence starts from a good defense. The less time spent in our D zone the more time our forwards have to create chances in the offensive zone and they need that break out pass to start the rush.

#77 Panjodh

Panjodh

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 02:36 PM

I think what MG should do is let schnieder play 41 games and let luongo play 41 games (Luongo plays home and Schnieder plays away.)

Whoever has the best record starts in the playoffs. Simple as that.

#78 22sedins33

22sedins33

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 867 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 10:30 AM

I think what MG should do is let schnieder play 41 games and let luongo play 41 games (Luongo plays home and Schnieder plays away.)

Whoever has the best record starts in the playoffs. Simple as that.

It's an idea but I'm not sure it's a great one. It's my feeling that if you have a starting goalie you play him like a starting goalie. Goalies like to stay in rhythm. The idea of playing the hot hand makes much more sense.

I also don't see us holding on to two starters. Not only considering Schneider's career but also the future of our hockey club - The return that Cory could bring us is too much to pass on considering the alternative is a really good backup goalie. I'd sooner take a great young d-man who we can play every game and a decent back up (plus maybe a 1st rounder?) and I don't think I'm alone on that one.

#79 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,524 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 10:39 AM

Tampa and Columbus both need goaltenders badly. Schneider is easily the best available and can help them both make the playoffs next year, especially Tampa.

But if Toronto wants him, Schenn and their 1st(5-8th overall) for Schneider.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.