The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kelowna Rockets (WHL)

Rate this topic

Rockets beat Giants to set new franchise record for wins

March 16, 2013

Rockets now move on to WHL playoffs beginning next Friday and Saturday nights at Prospera Place in Kelowna

March 16, 2013 - Kelowna, BC

The Kelowna Rockets defeated the Vancouver Giants 5-2 on Saturday night at Prospera Place, establishing a new franchise record for wins in a single season with its 52nd win of the year.

Jesse Lees, Justin Kirkland, Myles Bell, Tyson Baillie and Zach Franko scored for the Rockets, who complete the season at 52-16-3-1 heading into the WHL playoffs, which begin next weekend in Kelowna.

Check the game summary here

The Rockets also secured second overall in the WHL, finishing the season with the second best record in the league behind only Portland.

Kelowna will open up the WHL playoffs next weekend against Seattle.

Here are the dates for the first round playoff series between Kelowna and Seattle:

Game 1 Seattle @ Kelowna Friday, March 22 7:05

Game 2 Seattle @ Kelowna Saturday, March 23 7:05

Game 3 Kelowna @ Seattle Tuesday, March 26 7:05

Game 4 Kelowna @ Seattle Wednesday, March 27 7:05

Game 5* Seattle @ Kelowna Saturday, March 30 7:05

Game 6* Kelowna @ Seattle Tuesday, April 2 7:05

Game 7* Seattle @ Kelowna Wednesday, April 3 7:05

Hoping for a long play-off run ,LETS GO ROCKETS

I just want to point out I'm not worried at all yet and this is why: Rockets always drop the first two games to American teams (Tricities in 2004 and 2009, Seattle in 2005, Everett in 2010...yet they always win those series).

I just want to point out I'm not worried at all yet and this is why: Rockets always drop the first two games to American teams (Tricities in 2004 and 2009, Seattle in 2005, Everett in 2010...yet they always win those series).

Way to stay positive.

I'm always the last one who loses hope. My hope goes when my team gets eliminated. ;)

Comin from a Blazers fan... I totally hear that. I was pretty down n out last year down 5-2 in the 3rd period against portland but I never lost hope!

• Upvote 1

If Kamloops can force a Game 7 last year against Portland, Kelowna can do it this year against Seattle. Also Kelowna already beat them 4 in a row this year in the regular season - no reason they can't do it again now. Gotta believe!

• Upvote 1

If Kamloops can force a Game 7 last year against Portland, Kelowna can do it this year against Seattle. Also Kelowna already beat them 4 in a row this year in the regular season - no reason they can't do it again now. Gotta believe!

Right on Nev , never give up , that atittude has won me a few races.

• Upvote 1

Rockets Win to Bring Series Back to Kelowna

March 27, 2013

4-0 win makes the series 3-1 Seattle with game 5 Saturday in Kelowna

March 27, 2013 - Kent, WA

The Kelowna Rockets defeated the Seattle Thunderbirds 4-0 on Wednesday night in Kent, WA, staving off elimination and forcing a game five Saturday in Kelowna in the IMG_01382151.jpgWHL Western Conference quarterfinal series that Seattle now leads 3-1.

Tyson Baillie led the attack, scoring twice and adding an assist as the Rockets jumped out to a 3-0 lead in the first period. Myles Bell also scored and added an assist in the first. Zach Franko added a goal and two assists as the Rockets outshot IMG_00502300.jpgSeattle 37-25.

Game Summary

The Rockets power play struck three times, all in the first period while its penalty killers kept Seattle to an 0-for-8 night.

"I thought it was very important for our power play to step up," said Rockets assistant coach Dan Lambert on the AM1150 post game show. "The power play did that and that put them on their heels. I thought that was the difference early in the game. And I really felt that we out-worked them."

Jordon Cooke earned the win in net as he turned aside 25 Seattle shots to earn his first WHL shutout.

The win came after the Rockets dropped the first three games of the series to Seattle, all of them in overtime.

IMG_01032413.jpg"I thought it was a big character test for us: You lose and you go home and that's certainly not what this hockey team wants to do," said Lambert. "In saying that we need to keep playing the way we started to tonight. We are going home and hopefully the fans will come out and cheer them on. That next game is do or die again."

Game five is set for Saturday night in Kelowna and tickets for the game go on sale at 9:30 a.m

C,mon Rockets , if we can win game 5 at home and force game 6 back at their rink ?

Edited by The Ratiocinator
  • Upvote 1