The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Your 2014 Team Canada Roster

It's funny looking back at my old post for this team back in July and not being very sold on Giroux. He's definitely who I'd put as the 2nd line center now

Stamkos Crosby Nash

Toews Giroux Heatley

Sharp Getzlaf Perry

Neal Staal Staal

Eberle/Benn/Tavares

Weber Doughty

Keith Green

Del Zotto Letang

Pietrangelo/Phaneuf

Luongo

Fleury

Price

It's funny looking back at my old post for this team back in July and not being very sold on Giroux. He's definitely who I'd put as the 2nd line center now

Stamkos Crosby Nash

Toews Giroux Heatley

Sharp Getzlaf Perry

Neal Staal Staal

Eberle/Benn/Tavares

Weber Doughty

Keith Green

Del Zotto Letang

Pietrangelo/Phaneuf

Luongo

Fleury

Quick/Price

what a wealth of talent , it is a shame you cannot field more than one team , other wise it would be canada playing canada for the gold medal .i am more stoked when canada wins olympic gold than any of the achievements of australian sporting teams .

Nash - Crosby - Stamkos

Tavares - Giroux - Neal

Staal - Getzlaf - Perry

Couture - Toews - Benn

Bergeron

Keith - Weber

Staal - Pietrangelo

Letang - Doughty

Del Zotto

Luongo

Price

Fleury

There are 5 basic groups of forwards:

Locks: Crosby, Toews, Stamkos. Pretty obvious.

Vets having a down year, but with a great chance to make the team: Nash, Staal, Perry, Getzlaf. All they need is a bounce back year next year, and they'll be virtual locks to make the team. I think all 4 will end up on the team.

Young guys who've made a jump to an elite level: Tavares, Giroux. If these two keep playing like they have this year, they're on the team for sure.

Young guys who still need to prove something: Big list. Hall, Eberle, Duchene, RNH, Seguin, Couture, Kane, Skinner, Benn, Neal etc. I'm probably missing some. The next two years are huge for these guys. If one of them has a big World Championships, they'll have an edge. Eberle might have an edge because of his past Team Canada performances.

Vets who probably aren't coming back: Thornton, Heatley, Marleau, Morrow, Richards, Iginla. I can't see Thornton, Heatley or Marleau making it, as their reps are just too tarnished at this point. Morrow and Richards probably aren't elite enough to beat out the young guys. Iggy has the best chance from this group, just because he's Iggy, and he's awesome.

Defense is a little more straightforward. Weber is a frigging lock, obviously. I think Keith, Pietrangelo and Doughty are next on the defensive depth chart. They're not locks, but they're almost locks. A lot of people are sleeping on Pietrangelo, but I think he's got about a 90% chance of making the team, as he has everything Team Canada loves - pedigree, elite talent, versatility, elite performance, and international experience.

So that gives 3 right side D, which opens up spots for left side guys. Staal, Del Zotto and Hamhuis will all get looks. Young guys like Subban, Myers and Bogosian will have their work cut out for them to beat the more established right side guys, but it's possible.

Nash - Crosby - Stamkos

Tavares - Giroux - Neal

Staal - Getzlaf - Perry

Couture - Toews - Benn

Bergeron

Keith - Weber

Staal - Pietrangelo

Letang - Doughty

Del Zotto

Luongo

Price

Fleury

There are 5 basic groups of forwards:

Locks: Crosby, Toews, Stamkos. Pretty obvious.

Vets having a down year, but with a great chance to make the team: Nash, Staal, Perry, Getzlaf. All they need is a bounce back year next year, and they'll be virtual locks to make the team. I think all 4 will end up on the team.

Young guys who've made a jump to an elite level: Tavares, Giroux. If these two keep playing like they have this year, they're on the team for sure.

Young guys who still need to prove something: Big list. Hall, Eberle, Duchene, RNH, Seguin, Couture, Kane, Skinner, Benn, Neal etc. I'm probably missing some. The next two years are huge for these guys. If one of them has a big World Championships, they'll have an edge. Eberle might have an edge because of his past Team Canada performances.

Vets who probably aren't coming back: Thornton, Heatley, Marleau, Morrow, Richards, Iginla. I can't see Thornton, Heatley or Marleau making it, as their reps are just too tarnished at this point. Morrow and Richards probably aren't elite enough to beat out the young guys. Iggy has the best chance from this group, just because he's Iggy, and he's awesome.

Defense is a little more straightforward. Weber is a frigging lock, obviously. I think Keith, Pietrangelo and Doughty are next on the defensive depth chart. They're not locks, but they're almost locks. A lot of people are sleeping on Pietrangelo, but I think he's got about a 90% chance of making the team, as he has everything Team Canada loves - pedigree, elite talent, versatility, elite performance, and international experience.

So that gives 3 right side D, which opens up spots for left side guys. Staal, Del Zotto and Hamhuis will all get looks. Young guys like Subban, Myers and Bogosian will have their work cut out for them to beat the more established right side guys, but it's possible.

Stamkos Crosby Giroux

Kane Tavares Eberle

Perry Toews Marleau

Burrows Couture Hartnell

Seguin

Neal Benn

(if Crosby is unable to play Couture and Seguin move up)

Letang/Weber

Hamhuis/Keith

Del Zotto / Pietrangelo

Myers

Price

Luongo

Fleury

Well written. But Zach Bogosian is American. I also don't see Staal making it. Seabrook may make it in over Pietrangelo because he has great chemistry with Keith and they are both amazing.

To the OP:

My TC 2014 Roster:

Stamkos-Crosby-Iginla

Tavares-Toews-Nash

Benn-Giroux-Seguin

Lucic-Bergeron-Perry

Getzlaf

Hamhuis-Weber

Keith-Seabrook

Del Zotto-Letang

Doughty

Price

Fleury

Luongo

Damn, don't know why I thought Bogosian was Canadian. Wishful thinking, I suppose.

I know that Staal seems like a long shot, but I think he's got a profile that will really interest the brain trust. Specifically, he's got size, a left-handed shot and a stay at home style. He could provide great balance to the rest of the D. He was invited to the Orientation camp pre-2010, so he's already on their radar. Hamhuis and Del Zotto could fill similar roles as well, though. If the Nucks win a Cup with Hamhuis as their top shutdown guy, he's got a great chance of making it.

And I agree that Seabrook has a great chance of making it, even if it's just as the 7th guy. The established chemistry factor is hard to overlook.

Do you mean Mike Green? No way. He's done. Not at all the same player he was when he was skipped over in 2010. Has gone completely downhill since then. And, that can't all be blamed on injuries. He just doesn't seem to have it anymore. Maybe a change of scenery to a club that emphasizes the skills of offensive-minded puck-moving defencemen would do him some good. But, he's not getting anywhere near Team Canada with the way his game has fallen off over the last couple seasons. No way.

Guest The Brown Burrows

Team Canada , going with the youngblood, left off almost all of the 2010 team (don't want to see what happened in '06).

Nash - Crosby - Staal

Hall - Toews - Stamkos

Seguin - Tavares -Skinner

Benn - Bergeron - Eberle

- Nugent-Hopkins

Keith - Seabrook

Doughty - Weber

Pietrangelo - Letang

- Hamhuis

Fleury

Price

Luongo

This should be the toughest selections yet. Lots of players (mainly forwards) that will make Yzerman's job a lot harder than it should be.

• 4 months later...

Stamkos - Crosby - Giroux

Hall - Tavares - Eberle

Toews - Getzlaf - Perry

J. Staal - M. Richards - Bergeron

Extras: Benn, E. Kane, Seguin or Couture?

Hamhuis - Weber

Keith - Seabrook

M. Staal - Doughty

Pietrangelo, Letang, who else?

Price

Fleury

I think Mike Smith or Cam Ward would factor in the equation (didn't know there were so few strong Canadian goalies in the NHL! Depending upon his performance maybe Lu gets to be the #3 and battle Smith and Ward for it, or a youngster could emerge)

I think both Richards and Carter will likely make the 2014 team. I think some of the young guys like Hall, Eberle and Seguin may get camp invites but might not push vets out of those spots. With that said 2 years is a long ways off.

Lucic-Crosby-Stamkos (Lucic is gonna destroy anyone who goes near the other two)

Tavares-Toews-Giroux (By then Tavares will be one of the top 7 players in the league)

Hall-RNH-Eberle (The youngest top line in the league will have established itself as elite by then)

Burrows-Getzlaf-Perry (Elite skill with grit and checking abilty, beat you up then beat you on the rush)

Scratches: Iginla, Couture, Seguin. (had a tough time deciding between Burrows and these 3, but I really want a Canuck or 2 on the roster)

Keith-Weber

Pietrangelo-Letang

Hamhuis-Doughty

Scratches: Seabrook, Ryan Murray

Price

Fluery

Luongo

Archived