The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Your 2014 Team Canada Roster

lines in no particular order, and canada has too many good Centers so they will have to play wing

seguin-Crosby-Nash

Duchene -Toews-Giroux

Staal -Stamkos-Eberle

Tavares- Getzlaf -Perry

Keith-Weber

Doughty-pietrangelo

Burns-Letang

Price

Ward

Fleury

Some people have selected "dream teams" and hey its fun why not, and you could argue that the bigger ice needs that...will be interesting to see which way Yzerman and team go, fast pure speed and skill or a mix of skill and grit.

I think you need the latter, as you need guys who will check, grind down the opposition etc, hockey is a team sport and you can't have 4 1st lines, it won't work, taking guys out of their elements expecting them to turn into 2 way players....So my suggestions below on building a 'team'.

Forwards

Stamkos Crosby Neal

- don't think there is any contraversy here, Stamkos and Crosby will be sick, and add in Neal, who has size to use on the boards, great hands, and is at least familiar with Sid (even though the don't play on the same line). If Iggy still has wheels happy to see him here as well as he has tremendous chemistry with Crosby, but Iggy will be 37.

Bergeron Giroux Perry

- Speed, creativity, size and hands. Great second punch after dealing with line one. Defensively responsible Bergeron, with two superstars. Giroux is a heck of a playmaker and Perry with the finish. Well balanced line.

Eberle Tavares Lucic

-Eberle and Tavares have played together in a couple of world juniors and by 2014 should have established themselves as two of the 'next ones' for Canada. Boy did I want the nucks to draft Eberle when he was up...too small hey? lol...Lucic protects these two (size) and provides the board support and goes and gets the puck.

Seguin Staal Richards

- Love this fourth line. Eric Staal up the middle (experience in the olympics, with Richards again, leaders, who have been there - very important when you have a number of olympic rookies on the team. All defensively responsible, great 2 way players, who will get in your face and are gritty. All have skill and can score and skate.

Subs

Getzlaf - if he picks up his lazy play sure...but he hasn't been making an effort for Anaheim and may cost him an invite

Spezza - really has come into his own. never was a big fan because of his attitude but seems to be changing, seems to be becoming a leader. Certainly based on his play in the WC and last year, deserves a shot, if he continues on his path, likley in the lineup

Iginla - age will be the factor. If he's still scoring 30 a year, well he's going to be on Sid's wing where he belongs. Here's hoping to Captain Canada making it.

Staal

Defense

Weber/Letang

Hammer/Doughty

Seabrook/Pietrangelo

Keith

Myers

Goal

Price - will compete with MA Fleury for the starting spot and could see him taking it.

M.A Fleury - MA last year was an abberation. Still one of the best goalies in the NHL and he's been to the olympics, he will be on the roster.

Elliot - depends on the next two years. Could see Cam Ward here as well given his experience.

Stamkos-Crosby-Nash

Perry-Toews-Getzlaf

Giroux-Tavares-Kane (Bit of homerism but I think he'll be ready by then)

Eberle-Bergeron-Couture (Very good shutdown line with a lot of offensive talent)

Weber-Letang

Pietriangelo-Doughty

Keith-Seabrook/Staal

Price

Smith (If he keeps this going)

Ward

Price

Fleury

Luongo

Duncan Keith - Shea Weber

Michael del Zotto - Alex Pietrangelo

Chris Pronger - Drew Doughty

Mike Green

Steven Stamkos - Sidney Crosby - Rick Nash

Taylor Hall - Eric Staal - Claude Giroux

Evander Kane - John Tavares - Jordan Eberle

Cory Perry - Jonathan Toews - Jarome Iginla

James Neal

Nash - Crosby - Stamkos

Tavares - Giroux - Neal

Staal - Getzlaf - Perry

Couture - Toews - Benn

Bergeron

Keith - Weber

Staal - Pietrangelo

Letang - Doughty

Del Zotto

Luongo

Price

Fleury

There are 5 basic groups of forwards:

Locks: Crosby, Toews, Stamkos. Pretty obvious.

Vets having a down year, but with a great chance to make the team: Nash, Staal, Perry, Getzlaf. All they need is a bounce back year next year, and they'll be virtual locks to make the team. I think all 4 will end up on the team.

Young guys who've made a jump to an elite level: Tavares, Giroux. If these two keep playing like they have this year, they're on the team for sure.

Young guys who still need to prove something: Big list. Hall, Eberle, Duchene, RNH, Seguin, Couture, Kane, Skinner, Benn, Neal etc. I'm probably missing some. The next two years are huge for these guys. If one of them has a big World Championships, they'll have an edge. Eberle might have an edge because of his past Team Canada performances.

Vets who probably aren't coming back: Thornton, Heatley, Marleau, Morrow, Richards, Iginla. I can't see Thornton, Heatley or Marleau making it, as their reps are just too tarnished at this point. Morrow and Richards probably aren't elite enough to beat out the young guys. Iggy has the best chance from this group, just because he's Iggy, and he's awesome.

Defense is a little more straightforward. Weber is a frigging lock, obviously. I think Keith, Pietrangelo and Doughty are next on the defensive depth chart. They're not locks, but they're almost locks. A lot of people are sleeping on Pietrangelo, but I think he's got about a 90% chance of making the team, as he has everything Team Canada loves - pedigree, elite talent, versatility, elite performance, and international experience.

So that gives 3 right side D, which opens up spots for left side guys. Staal, Del Zotto and Hamhuis will all get looks. Young guys like Subban, Myers and Bogosian will have their work cut out for them to beat the more established right side guys, but it's possible.

Archived