The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Reasons for Why Canucks Are Hated Around the NHL

bass19

After seeing the Selke standouts on the homepage of CDC, I eventually got to the Kesler video from last year on youtube and Toews face at 1:07 says it all when Daniel recieves the Art Ross!!!

After seeing Lu & Schneid's go up, Kes, Dan for Ted Lindsey, I think Toews face seeing Daniel go up again just made him sick to his stomach. He's just like "grab your damn trophy and get the hell outta here." Just priceless!!!

Obviously, the individual accomplishments aren't the only reason we are hated but Toews face just says it all. To be honest, I would hate us too, sitting at an awards ceremony and seeing players from the same team collecting trophy after trophy. Just makes you annoyed as an athlete!

Somewhat pointless thread I know, but the happiness I got seeing Toew's face had to be shared!

Captain Serious / Mr Hawk tough talk - always seems to be speaking a few tones deeper than his voice naturally is - thanks for "exposing" his envy here - sucks because I really want to like the guy, but he just blends in too well with Bolland, Kane, and some of the other arrogant departed

LOL.

You can read his mind by the expression on his face.

But it's funny cause I remember 3 separate videos from that event where Toews was standing around talking to the Canuck players. He could have talked to anybody at that event, but he was seen hanging out with the Canucks. Maybe a love-hate relationship? :)

It could just be that he is not particularly interested in trophy ceremonies (or the trophies themselves). I know I took every chance to not go to such things when it came to school/athletics. Most of the time they simply find new people to award such trophies to, but there were several occasions when I was either bribed or threatened into going to the ceremonies to maintain social cohesion. I guess it looks really bad when the person winning a major award doesn't show up. I understand that people do care, I just did not , and would rather do something else with my time. (It is worth noting that as a rule I am generally apathetic towards individual awards in team sports anyway, so this does alter how I approach such situations).

People always hate the best. Look at Crosby and Ovechkin. Two of the best players in the league and these guys have more people that hate them then anyone else.

To quote Taylor Swift, "People throw rocks at things that shine."

Shutup Taylor Swift is awesome.

People always hate the best. Look at Crosby and Ovechkin. Two of the best players in the league and these guys have more people that hate them then anyone else.

To quote Taylor Swift, "People throw rocks at things that shine."

Shutup Taylor Swift is awesome.

The Canucks get more than their share of negative reaction. Detroit, for example, is much better liked around the league despite being the strongest overall team in the league over the past decade. Part of the issue is winning, but a lot of the problem is that the Canucks have some players that guys are other teams really do not like. We can start with Kesler -- who is one of the most disliked players in the league. He is obviously a very good player and we are lucky to have him, even at a cap hit of 5 million, but he is not very likeable. Lapierre and Burrows have the same problem (but it is not as severe). Lu is not very popular around the league either.

But the Canucks do have some guys who are liked and respected -- like Salo and Hamhuis. I don't think the Sedins generate much of a reaction one way or the other around the league. And is amazing how poorly the Sedins do in all-star voting. I am guessing they set a record for fewest all-star votes for defending Art Ross and MVP trophy winners. People have nothing against them; they just do not generate much of a positive following (outside of BC and Sweden).

Archived