The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kony 2012 [ Video Inside ]

Muse

this video will tell you everything, please watch it!

A documentary film about the little-known conflict that has devastated Uganda since the early 1980s has become a surprise viral hit, being shared on Facebook over 3.6 million times in under two weeks.

Kony 2012, named after the infamous leader of Christian terrorist group the Lord’s Resistance Army (LRA), is a film and campaign by humanitarian group Invisible Children that aims to make Joseph Kony famous, "not to celebrate him, but to raise support for his arrest and set a precedent for international justice".

The documentary describes the plight of Uganda through the eyes of a former LRA child soldier, Jacob, and the director Jason Russell’s American son, Gareth, who doesn’t know who Kony is.

The film focuses heavily on the issue of child soldiers, with Kony’s LRA reportedly having up to 30,000 boys and girls who are used as soldiers and sex slaves.

Kony is alleged to have fathered over 200 children during his 26 years on the run from the Ugandan government.

The half-hour film has been so successful its makers have obliterated their target of 500,000 Facebook shares, already registering over 3.5 million. The growing interest has also caused their website to crash under the huge demand.

Invisible Children, an activist group that campaigns to end genocide and crimes against humanity, said the goal of Kony 2012 was to raise awareness about one of the world’s most brutal warlords in an effort to expedite his arrest.

The documentary has also called on supporters to act on April 20, 2012.

"This is the day when we will meet at sundown and blanket every street in every city until the sun comes up. The rest of the world will go to bed Friday night and wake up to hundreds of thousands of posters demanding justice," Russell said.

Kony, who wants to implement a theocratic government in Uganda based on the Ten Commandments, was indicted by the International Criminal Court in 2006 for war crimes but has evaded capture.

Viewers of the film have expressed shock and anger at the events taking place in Uganda and many have pledged to do what they can to help, including celebrities Rihanna, George Clooney and Ellen DeGeneres.

"I'm a high schooler and I haven't heard a thing about this, I want to help the fight. I'll gladly join you in St. Louis on April 20th," A YouTube user named amazingmano said.

Sure, I love to come into a random thread and watch a 30 minute video with no description!

/sarcasm

If you're going to take the time to make a thread, why not give a brief description what it's about if you want people to watch it?

Wow some of you are just incredibly sickening^

As I said in the other thread..

Have been supporting Invisible Children for a long time. Lets get this going and catch this dirty piece of s***.

Here's the youtube link:

#stopkony and #Kony2012 are trending worldwide.

Visit facebook and Twitter and you can see how huge this movement is becoming. I don't know what groups are doing what in Vancouver but Windsor, Ontario just started a "cover the night" group and we already have over 2000 attendees.

This is a cause every person can support.

Very powerful video and certainly it means something when this completely unheard of guy is at the top of a list that contains names like Ghadaffi on it.

I certainly hope that Vancouver is part of the movement. I'm not really the marching, rallying type of gal but I would be interested in getting involved via donations and spreading the word through social media.

This campaign seems to really have taken off. Definitely hot button issue on fb and twitter right now. It would be something else if a movement started entirely through social media succeeded in bringing down one of the world's most dangerous criminals.

This isn't necessarily a movement where you actually have to do something other then make awareness of Kony, make him as popular as you can.

That's all you have to do.

If social networking can bring down this man, who knows what we will be able to do. The world is changing.

I just watched this. I already knew a lot about this jerk from one of my poli sci classes. Unbelievable that a person like this can go on for so long without getting caught. I doubt this video will reach the goal it sets out, as its definitely a bit ambitious, but I'm all up for raising awareness.

Why are some people bring such pricks in this thread? My God, wow. Spread Kony's dirty name everywhere, make the sick b*astard famous. The video explains about covering cities with Kony posters - it's happening in Vancouver as well, there is an event on FB, please check it out people.

Archived