82 replies to this topic

#61 tocnhockey

tocnhockey

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,742 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 11:27 PM

Hope the best for Cody.....same for Ehrhoff...don't miss either of them though.

"He'll play, you know he'll play. He'll play on crutches."

linden_mclean1994.jpg

Kirk McLean and Trevor Linden -Game 6 1994 SC Finals

8_9_18.gifRIP PAT QUINN

#62 TotesMagotes

TotesMagotes

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,318 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 11:42 PM

Wow. give me a break. Hodgson and Kassian are two very young players and it will be years before we can say who won this trade.
Posted Image

#63 Amish Rake Fighter

Amish Rake Fighter

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,136 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 12:54 AM

Ya he missed his check on Montreal's first goal. I remember thinking, AV would bench Cody for that play and it looked like Ruff did.

Buffalo has to win now, so I wouldn't be surprised if Cody is off the top six for good. He looked slow out there and was lax on the backcheck. Sulzer looked good.

I've seen 4 of his games since he left, in 3 of those games (Ottawa, Montreal and Boston), he has made a significant error resulting in a goal for the other team. Sulzer did look good with Ehrhoff though.

#64 Jma7

Jma7

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 01:10 AM

I feel like once Cody gets one and his confidence back he'll start to produce. He was already starting to slump playing for the canucks before the trade as well... wish him the best but glad to see that he didnt start lighting it up like crazy cause then I'd feel really bad about the trade. I still think we shouldve kept him as an insurance policy cause if Kes or Hank go down in the playoffs our offense is going to be really hurting
Posted Image

#65 babybulls211

babybulls211

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 03:14 AM

It's obvious our star players, special personal training, and development system is what made Cody so successful here - heck, it's not everyday you get to learn from the NHL's best face off man, best duo in the world whom are both art ross winners, a Selke winner, play alongside the best D in the league, and get coached in the minors by star coach Craig McTavish, and when you come up, get coached by a Jac Adams winner who arguably has the best system in hockey; very few will get to do in their lifetime.

So with this, yea, Cody's success here was mainly because of the amazing facilities and assets he had here that no other NHL team has, so moving forward in Buffalo, he won't do good right away, as he'll have to learn how to get better without the advantages he had in Vancouver.

:)

+1 for everything except Hodgson was coached by CLAUDE NOEL (current head coach of the Jets) when Coho was with the Manitoba Moose.

#66 babybulls211

babybulls211

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 03:18 AM

:picard:

Ehrhoff is doing fine in Buffalo. The team is was struggling but now they aren't. Ehrhoff is playing well now as are the Sabres.

* Ehrhoff was pretty good in San Jose too. He was only traded to us because of cap issues. San Jose did make a mistake by trading him over Vlasic (the other defender that was kept as a result).

Hodgson may not be picking up the points but his team is winning a lot more lately and he might be in the playoffs next month.

* Kassian has gotten 2 points but we've been losing more often with him.

BTW all rookies got through slumps. One day they will play well, one day they won't.
- You can interchange a day with a week or even a month.

* Alex Sulzer is thriving as of late since being paired with Hoff. Sulzer played some of his worst hockey in a Canuck jersey but some of his best in a Florida and now a Sabre uni.

Raffi Torres was one of the Oilers top players in their unexpected '06 run. He had his best years in Edmonton not Vancouver.

Anson Carter is the not legit player you posted.

/mini-rant

Vlasic is much younger than Ehrhoff so they see Vlasic has a bigger potential than Ehrhoff maybe?

#67 DollarAndADream

DollarAndADream

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,607 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 05:01 AM

As stupid as I think it is that CDC is jumping all over Hodgson and saying how awesome Kassian is and how CoHo sucks in Buffalo....I think it's good for this message board. Most of those people were the same who wanted Gills' head also.

After the trade, most of the forum was in riot mode and wanted the GM fired.

With CoHo doing horrible and Kassian being exceptional, there aren't any annoying topics anymore.

x1vXIze.png
RIP LB/RR - Signature credit to JimLahey

small.pngCDCEHL

#68 The Drunken Crunker

The Drunken Crunker

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 02:08 PM

Right... if you watch him play he's making a ton of impact plays just that one him or his line mates are cashing in on.

I've watched pretty much every game Hodgson has played since the trade.

He IS NOT "making a ton of impact plays," as you claim. He has continued to be a defensive liability as shown by his current corsi and fenwick stats.

He has now been demoted to the 4th line in Buffalo so apparently Ruff disagrees w/ your statement as well.
Posted Image

Posted Image

If you're being chased by a police dog, try not to go through a tunnel, then on to a little seesaw, then jump through a hoop of fire. They're trained for that!

"We are trying to get more Canadians playing floorball, leave it to Sami to make it seem dangerous,"
- Greg Beaudin, president of B.C. Floorball.

#69 spliced

spliced

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,216 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 02:13 PM

The real question is can the Canucks have playoff success without Cody. Last year they were able to make it to game 7 of the finals with Cody, lets see what they do this year. :P

#70 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,730 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 04:32 PM

The real question is can the Canucks have playoff success without Cody. Last year they were able to make it to game 7 of the finals with Cody, lets see what they do this year. :P

Yes.
He clearly had a significant impact on that run - how will they manage without his 1 assist and -4 in 12 playoff games? Those will be difficult skates to fill.

#71 soshified

soshified

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,382 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 05:31 PM

LOL

Posted Image

#72 micronuck

micronuck

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 10:01 PM

Cody is under a lot of pressure. Wether he asked for a trade or not, hes in the news everywhere. He scored a lot of points considering his playtime and is ranked as one of the great prospects in the league. I guess the Sabres fans and Buffalo media are expecting him to get better by the time he gets more playing time. At the Canucks he had guys like the Sedins, Luongo and Kesler who were front page news, and were watched closely at their performance, because of the whole media hype around his trade, he is now in the spotlights.

He will be a good player in Buffalo, and I wish the best for him, but currently I think there is a lot of pressure, and way too high expectations on him. The Canucks are one of the better teams in the league, with a high morale. Thats a much better team to get into and perform directly than the Sabres are right now. Thats why Kassian is "performing" better. Don't count on Cody to be this season's big guy for Sabres, but count my words if we hear and see more of him on the NHL scoreboard next season!

Edited by micronuck, 13 March 2012 - 10:03 PM.

Sure, correct or laugh at my spelling...We can continue the discussion in German or Dutch if you prefer....

#73 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 75,124 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 10:28 PM

Sabres newcomer Hodgson not taking line change as a demotion:

BUFFALO — Sixteen days and eight games later, rookie Cody Hodgson, a centerpiece of the NHL trade deadline’s most-talked about transaction, is pointless and skating with Brad Boyes and Corey Tropp on what could be considered the Sabres’ fourth line.

Meanwhile, defenseman Alexander Sulzer, a throw-in to the deal with Vancouver, just played a tick under 24 minutes, a career high.

The German, a spare part a week ago, has possibly cemented a spot for the season. He’s forming a strong duo beside $10 million defender Christian Ehrhoff and has one more point than Hodgson.

Crazy, huh?

But what’s going on with Hodgson, the No. 2 center the Sabres coveted? The 22-year-old started strongly and appeared on the verge of breaking out after the Sabres sent prospect Zack Kassian to the Canucks for him Feb. 27.

“It’ll come. I’m not concerned,” coach Lindy Ruff said Tuesday after the ninth-place Sabres, who fell four points behind Washington for the final playoff spot hours later, prepared for tonight’s home tilt against the Colorado Avalanche. “I think you look at it and it’s obviously disappointing, but it’ll come.”

Ruff used Pittsburgh’s James Neal as an example. Neal scored once in 20 games last year after the Penguins acquired him from Dallas. The winger has 31 goals and 65 points in 68 contests this season.

“It’s not working out, then all of a sudden it works out,” Ruff said. “For the most part, I’ve been happy. (Hodgson’s) been in on some great opportunities that he hasn’t finished. But he’ll finish.”

Hodgson, who has 16 goals and 33 points, has only finished once in the last 16 games, however. His slump goes back to early February. In the past 21 games, he has two goals and three points.

“Not necessarily frustrating. But I think chances are there,” Hodgson said. “A couple broken sticks, posts, stuff like that just aren’t going in. I’m a pretty positive person. I like to stay pretty upbeat. I know I’m this close to the next shot going in. It’s coming.”

With 71 games under his belt, it looks like Hodgson’s smashed into that freshman wall. He had never played more than 68 regular-season contests at any major level.

Factor in a dizzying acclimation to the Sabres, and you have a player struggling mightily.

Tuesday’s practice marked his first regular session on First Niagara Center ice during an off day. He’s played six road games and just two home tilts. In fact, including his Canucks tenure, he’s played 15 of his last 21 games away.

Hodgson flew from Phoenix to Buffalo for a physical and then jetted back across to the country to meet the Sabres in Anaheim before he could play.

Then there’s the mental and physical fatigue of playing. Hodgson’s gone from a supporting member on a stacked Canucks club to top-line player counted on for production. The expectations have changed considerably.

“You can’t really make excuses,” Hodgson said. “I’m a professional athlete. I’m excited about playing. There’s still adrenaline going. There’s still excitement. I’m playing with good players.”

Hodgson’s minutes have shot up from about 12 or so a game to 16:38 a night with the Sabres. He skated a career-high 21:48 in Saturday’s 4-3 shootout win in Ottawa.

With other lines performing well, most notably the trio of Tyler Ennis, Marcus Foligno and Drew Stafford, Hodgson’s minutes dipped to 11:07 in Monday’s 3-2 overtime win against Montreal.

“He’s gone through a real tough stretch,” Ruff said. “He was on the road with Vancouver, got traded to us, was on the road. I’ve played him some pretty heavy minutes. I played him real heavy minutes in Ottawa. I saw a little bit of fatigue there of what he’s gone through and the emotions of being traded and the circumstances around it.”

Ruff said he told Hodgson, “‘Don’t get frustrated. You went from the most minutes maybe in Ottawa to lesser minutes last game. Part of that was how well Ennis, Stafford and Foligno had played.’ I said, ‘Just let it happen. Don’t look for points or cheat for points. Just play your game.’”

Of course, playing beside Tropp, an impressive rookie, and Boyes, a former 43-goal scorer, isn’t necessarily a demotion. Hodgson first played between Ennis and Stafford.

“I would argue that in the first period (Monday) Corey Tropp might’ve been our best player,” Ruff said. “So I don’t think that was a demotion by any sense. Inside of every game there’s guys that are going well.

“I think if you got a guy that’s making the plays that even Corey Tropp is making and you got a guy that gets in there as quick as him, it should open up more stuff for you.”

http://tonawanda-new...e-as-a-demotion

307mg00.jpg

#74 The Sedin's 6th Sense

The Sedin's 6th Sense

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,431 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 01:13 AM

Sabres newcomer Hodgson not taking line change as a demotion:

....Then why'd he want out of VaCity Omfgzzz!!????

(...joking lol)

Posted Image

"You know what my favourite Super Bowl is? The next one."

- Tom Brady

#75 Pride

Pride

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 01:20 AM

As for Hodgson, he's been injected into a new team with a new system. He'll be a regular PPG soon enough.

Hodgson will never be a ppg player in his career. I think that would be his absolute maximum potential and I doubt he will get there

#76 Jai604

Jai604

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,039 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 04:57 AM

Did Hodgson benefit from playing in a one of the better organizations in the league currently? Yes

Did he benefit from playing with and learning from some of the best players currently in the game? Yes

Did Hodgson benefit from playing in one of the better systems currently being employed in the league with a Jack Adams' award-winning coach? Yes

Does Cody have the ability to make a name for himself despite not having the advantages I mentioned above? Yes, but it will take time to adjust.

I have no doubt that Hodgson will pan out to be a solid NHLer. Whether he turns into a superstar, that's anyone's guess. My guess would be he pans out to be an extremely solid 2nd-line centreman, or a possible fringe 1st-line centreman. But who knows.

RIP LB RR PD

#77 MistaT

MistaT

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 05:11 PM

I'm watching the Buffalo vs Colorado game tonight so I'll be sure to give a full game report.

He tinged the crossbar twenty seconds into the game with a wicked shot...hasn't done a lot since.
Form is temporary, class is permanent.

Canucks, baby!

#78 Remy

Remy

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 07:08 PM

I'm watching the Buffalo vs Colorado game tonight so I'll be sure to give a full game report.

He tinged the crossbar twenty seconds into the game with a wicked shot...hasn't done a lot since.

Buffalo won 4-3, Hodgson had 0 points and was a -1 on the game with a total of 14:54 in ice time. I am not sure, but did he ever go through such a long slump in Vancouver?

I feel like Gillis, by making the trade, gave Hodgson enough just rope to hang himself with. We'll see if he turns it around, but I do actually think that the smarter career move would have been to stay in Vancouver (assuming Hodgson actually had any say in the matter).

#79 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,730 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 07:17 PM

Buffalo won 4-3, Hodgson had 0 points and was a -1 on the game with a total of 14:54 in ice time. I am not sure, but did he ever go through such a long slump in Vancouver?

I feel like Gillis, by making the trade, gave Hodgson enough just rope to hang himself with. We'll see if he turns it around, but I do actually think that the smarter career move would have been to stay in Vancouver (assuming Hodgson actually had any say in the matter).

You turned the game off a little early - Hodgson added a minus when Colorado tied the game in the last minute.
He spent a whole lot of time in his own end throughout the game, unable to handle Colorado's forecheck.
I'd put him in the shootout to give him a chance to get the monkey off his back.

Edited by oldnews, 14 March 2012 - 07:19 PM.

#80 Amish Rake Fighter

Amish Rake Fighter

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,136 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 10:00 PM

You turned the game off a little early - Hodgson added a minus when Colorado tied the game in the last minute.
He spent a whole lot of time in his own end throughout the game, unable to handle Colorado's forecheck.
I'd put him in the shootout to give him a chance to get the monkey off his back.

Hodgson kicked that tying goal across the front of his own net to McGinn.

He is god awful in his own end.

Edited by Amish Rake Fighter, 14 March 2012 - 10:13 PM.

#81 Remy

Remy

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 10:30 PM

Ah yes, I see. I have to say though, I really would not have expected him to have this much of a hard time in Buffalo ... or anywhere. It's still fairly early on, and yet, it's been long enough that I think there are some legitimate concerns. I won't immediately jump to "I'm glad he's gone" because I think he'd probably still be producing if he were with the Canucks, but I do think this paints Gillis and the Canucks organization in a pretty favourable light, proving that they maximize their players.

#82 Erik Karlsson

Erik Karlsson

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,997 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 06:44 PM

Wrong.

m97o1w.jpg

Credit to Parise11

#83 marleau_12

marleau_12

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,286 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 09:23 PM

Wrong.

Brilliant.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.