The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Our Defense Next Season

Obviously our biggest need going into next season is a top 4 defenseman. Salo is close to retirement and we can't rely on him to play 20 minutes a night anymore. And Tanev, who shows good promise, is probably still another year away from being a solidified top 4 defenseman. Should we acquire a defenseman through free agency or do you think we'll get one through trading Schneider? Here's some moves I'd like to see.

Sign UFA Shane O'Brien - Some say he's undisciplined, but from what I've seen he's shown maturity in his game and brings more toughness and defensive upside than Rome/Alberts. Him and Tanev would make for a well balanced bottom pairing.

Find a way to get of Ballard and one of Rome or Alberts.

Acquire well-rounded top 4 defenseman. For example, Brad Stuart or Matt Carle. (Not saying we'll get one of them just the type of defenseman I'd like to see alognside Edler.

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Edler - Carle

O'Brien - Tanev

Rome/Alberts - Sauve

Realistically I can see MG signing a guy like Carlo Colaiacovo, as he might actually make it to free agency, as STL has Barrett Jackman to worry about, on top of 3 important RFA's (Perron, Oshie, Stewart).

He brings a great two-way game and a great first pass and could really emerge as a 40+ point guy (if he stays healthy) in our top 4 much like Christian Ehrhoff did during his time here. I think he could be had for in between 3M-3.75M and would adequately replace Sami Salo, if he does indeed retire.

I can see Ballard being dealt; potentially to the Islanders or the Stars (this is, if Gagliardi isn't childish and refuses to deal with Vancouver) for a 3rd round pick and a player such as David Ullstrom or just a 2nd if we are extremely lucky as they will likely need to add to their back-ends.

I would assume MG will trade Schneider this summer targeting a solid, young defenseman or a pick that'll land a possible stud defenceman down the road, and if the latter is the case then we can try and sign another 5-6 defenceman for our bottom pairing as a stop-gap (maybe Hannan, Carkner or Zanon?) because I don't think I'd be confident with a full-time 5-6 pairing of Gragnani-Tanev just yet.

So I think our defence corps could look something like this next year, not including whoever MG can potentially acquire for Cory Schneider if he acquires an NHL-ready D-man:

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Edler - Colaiacovo

Zanon - Tanev

with Alberts and Gragnani as 7th and 8th

There's a lot of potential fits.

Shea Weber would be the perfect one, but of course a lot of teams will be trying to snag him if Poile indeed decides to move him.

Dennis Wideman would be a great fit. He'll probably re-up with Washington, I don't see why not, but he can replace Salo's offense no problem and has great playoff stats. He's strong enough to he doesn't get manhandled in the defensive zone, too.

There's Adrian Aucoin who is getting up there, but he could probably play top-4 minutes for one more season & then Tanev would likely be ready to take over. Considering how much Tippet relies on him, I think he would work out fine in Vancouver.

Pavel Kubina is a huge body, throws tons of hits, has fine mobility and has a bit shot. Would love to see him here if he isn't look for a contract longer than 2-3 years.

Justin Schultz? One can dream.

Joe Corvo, albeit not the best fit wouldn't be a horrible signing if options become limited. He can at least replace Salo on the PP.

Jamie McBain is a RFA next year & JR would obviously love to re-sign him, but what will his cap ceiling be like? If Gillis was gonna pull of an offersheet... McBain wouldn't be a bad option. 65 points in 153 games so far, which is a good start.

Ryan Suter B)

It's still early and MG'll surprise us again during the off-season (or not, who knows? ;)) wouldn't mind Brad Stuart or Carlo Colaiacovo as mentioned before, or if Tanev plays well move him up and then get Ellerby from the Panthers and pair him with Gragnani

Archived