Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

Up To 70% Of Ground Beef Sold In Stores Contains 'pink Slime'

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
34 replies to this topic

#31 taxi

taxi

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,481 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 11:22 AM

Explained far better than I would:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BLBT
[b][/size][/font][/color]

Now you have your answer, this is not a process that has gone on thousands of years, we're talking a couple decades.

Actually McDonalds doesn't use pink slime anymore. So what parts of the animal is McDonalds using that are undigestible? This was the topic.

Also that article did not say those parts were undigestible, just that they were being treated with amonia as they come from parts of the animal likely to come into contact with cow fecal matter.

However, like I said before we have been using those parts of the animal for thousands of years. Traditinoal dishes like Sausage in Europe commonly use parts of the intestines, that are contaminated and not fit for human consumption prior to processing. Tripe is a common dish in many parts of the world. Cow rectum specifically can be found in many parts of Asia as a "delicacy".

So the issue isn't really with the fact that some parts of the cow are "indigestible". The issue is with how the meat is being prepared. In the case of pink slime, we are talking about the use of Ammonia to sterlize. However, once again, McDonalds doesn't use pink slime. So what's your point? and what does this have to do with a debate about the 100% label on McDonalds food.

And honestly, if you are so concerned about eating cow feces, you should avoid pretty much all food. Cow feces is a common component of most fertilizers, especially organic ones. Organic fruits and vegetables will be covered in it.

I

#32 taxi

taxi

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,481 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 11:25 AM

On the topic of rectum:

http://my.opera.com/...blog/pig-rectum

Mak-chang

A traditional Korean delicacy made from pig's rectum.

#33 Spitfire_Spiky

Spitfire_Spiky

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 11:30 AM

If it tastes good and doesn't kill you then suck it up and eat it.
Mess with the Best, Die like the Rest

#34 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,368 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 03:49 PM

I make my own hamburger from the trimmings left over from carving up a sirloin. (Even if you take the whole sirloin tip you can get at costco and grind the whole thing into hamburger it's still cheaper than simply buying hamburger).

Only problem is if I want to make hamburgers the bindability is not so good!

#35 taxi

taxi

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,481 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 03:56 PM

I make my own hamburger from the trimmings left over from carving up a sirloin. (Even if you take the whole sirloin tip you can get at costco and grind the whole thing into hamburger it's still cheaper than simply buying hamburger).

Only problem is if I want to make hamburgers the bindability is not so good!

Sirloin is a relatively lean cut, so there won't be much oil and moisture to bind it. Part of what makes hamburger meat bind so well is the "undesirable" parts of the animal that add a bit of grissel, same reason why sausauges taste so good.

I'd suggest adding egg or bread crumbs to the mix or maybe bbq sauce.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.