The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Pubs For Decent Conversation In Vancouver?

YaK

Well, I am going to leave my cave and venture into the downtown wilderness of Vancouver... but alas! It is a weekend. All of the pubs turn up the volume and clear the dance floor. Maybe I am getting old, but I don't have a soft spot for bleeding eardrums and the stench of sheeple waiting in queues with their Ed Hardy T-shirts or 30 sq inches of clothing.

I figure that most people browsing this forum are probably at least acquainted with pubs since you're all big enough sports fans that you're on a web-forum for a team that isn't even playing tonight. So, if I were to try to find the elusive pub where you can find great conversation I figure asking here isn't the worst place...

Do any of you know of a place in Vancouver that:

1. Does not turn up the volume so loudly on the music that you have to shout across the table.

2. You can feel comfortable joining a table of randoms and hope to hit it off with some conversation and...

3. Caters to a wide variety of people (not only the 19 to 25 crowd)

I used to go to the fairview a lot, on broadway about a block and a half east of oak.

definitely the kind of place you're describing, though it's outside of downtown

there's also the brickhouse on main just north of the viaducts.

there's like 10 different places on the corner of water and carrall st (gassy jack statue) blarney stone, salty tounge/irish heather, there's some place upstairs

<p><p>

1. Does not turn up the volume so loudly on the music that you have to shout across the table.

2. You can feel comfortable joining a table of randoms and hope to hit it off with some conversation and...

Well, I am going to leave my cave and venture into the downtown wilderness of Vancouver... but alas! It is a weekend. All of the pubs turn up the volume and clear the dance floor. Maybe I am getting old, but I don't have a soft spot for bleeding eardrums and the stench of sheeple waiting in queues with their Ed Hardy T-shirts or 30 sq inches of clothing.

I figure that most people browsing this forum are probably at least acquainted with pubs since you're all big enough sports fans that you're on a web-forum for a team that isn't even playing tonight. So, if I were to try to find the elusive pub where you can find great conversation I figure asking here isn't the worst place...

A jazz lounge sounds stupid, my jazz teacher in elementary school literally had no friends and played the saxophone at our dumb talent shows and we all had to sit and watch him go on for 10 minutes because it was the only thing he was good at in life. His kid was bullied to because of this and we became friends and I went to his house and his dad tried to be friendly with me but then was mean to me in school in front of other kids. So my opinion of jazz music and the people who play it is a 0 out of 10 and would rather be shot in the face than go to a jazz club, if there even is such a thing I can't imagine anyone going to one on a Friday night.

A jazz lounge sounds stupid, my jazz teacher in elementary school literally had no friends and played the saxophone at our dumb talent shows and we all had to sit and watch him go on for 10 minutes because it was the only thing he was good at in life. His kid was bullied to because of this and we became friends and I went to his house and his dad tried to be friendly with me but then was mean to me in school in front of other kids. So my opinion of jazz music and the people who play it is a 0 out of 10 and would rather be shot in the face than go to a jazz club, if there even is such a thing I can't imagine anyone going to one on a Friday night.

Archived