Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Alex Friesen

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
15 replies to this topic

#1 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 05:52 AM

What kind of player do we have here.

2011-12 Regular Season Niagara IceDogs 59 23 44 67 36 104

He seems to be a fairly prolific scorer and also seems to be a centre who likes to put himself about with PIM of 104 (almost double the next highest in the team) The boy seems fairly driven.......in the mould of RR37 perhaps.

At age 21 and 5'-10" @ 186lbs he has probably room for some physical growth. A +/- of 36 is good in anyones book and I just wonder if we may see him up with Jensen in Chicago next year.

Not a high draft at 6th round but we might have a real prospect here if he maintains his focus. Both he and Jensen are bound to eventually start to put pressure on Schroeder imo

Coming from/ living in Scotland and fairly late into the NHL and the various levels below, perhaps the more knowledgable amongst you could enlighten me on this player's early potential.
Kevin.jpg

#2 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,597 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 10:32 AM

Good player, but limited chances at the NHL. Might turn into a good two way 3rd line center, but doesn't project much higher than that. He might surprise, but I think we have better options in the system, like Joseph Labate on the 3rd and Mats Froshaug centering the 4th, as both have more size for a bottom six role.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#3 CanuckRow

CanuckRow

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,109 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 11:11 AM

Good player, but limited chances at the NHL. Might turn into a good two way 3rd line center, but doesn't project much higher than that. He might surprise, but I think we have better options in the system, like Joseph Labate on the 3rd and Mats Froshaug centering the 4th, as both have more size for a bottom six role.

Not a chance. Friesen is more likely to crack our line-up one day over Froshaug.

15yezck.jpg

@Chel24Seven

#4 canuck_trevor16

canuck_trevor16

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,657 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 12:02 PM

He might be one of our first propsect that will play in the bottom 6 in the future....as we have drafted more top 6 talent than bottom 6...I think he will just the first one to be our drafted third/fourth line center......

One day some of us will look back on the year and look at the chicago, and most of us will realize that it was a small bump in the road to the cup

WIN THE CUP FOR SALO CAMPAIGN

#5 Bilbro Baggins

Bilbro Baggins

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,342 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 01:32 PM

The player that I would compare him to is Brad Marchand, but with less offensive skill. He could be a good 3rd or 4th liner for us in the future, but he needs to keep his head on straight.

Posted Image

#6 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 07:00 AM

Thanks guys, interesting comparison to less offensive Marchand. He might settle for that.
Kevin.jpg

#7 bossram

bossram

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,943 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 06:42 PM

He might turn into a Jannik Hansen. If he does, I would consider that pick a success.
What is the deal with Mike Gillis, it always seems like he's sweating...

#8 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,597 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 10:19 PM

Not a chance. Friesen is more likely to crack our line-up one day over Froshaug.

Froshaug's ceiling isn't high (and 4th line center might be all of it) so he might not make it, but he's still more suited to 4th line center than Friesen, who is 5'9", 186lb. I think Friesen's role is 3rd line at lowest, but I don't see him doing better there than some of our other prospects, like Labate who I mentioned earlier.

Here's a quote from the Alex Friesen Talk thread that someone got from the IceDogs site:

Alex served as an assistant captain this past season with the IceDogs, and he has the ability to make the players around him better.

He was called upon last year to improve his offensive game and become an active contributor both on and off the ice, and he has surely filled that role. Alex notched 23 goals and 37 assists, almost doubling his 2008-09 totals of 11 goals and 22 assists.

Friesen plays an aggressive game. Although he is not the biggest player on the ice, he has the ability to lay massive hits, work well along the boards, and use his speed to allow himself to be in the right place at the right time. Alex was also used by the IceDogs on both the power play and penalty kill, and has proven he has evolved into a great two-way player.

Alex has always been active within the community for the IceDogs both during the season and in the off season, and would be a great addition to any team.

And not to derail from Friesen (although the thread I linked above is probably best suited to the discussion) but more recent reports on Froshaug show some good signs after he's battled some problems with illness.

Frøsh has put up 39 points in 34 games so far this season in the Norwegian league. I'm thinking if he has any interest in coming to North America, it would be next season, since he seems to have reached the top for the level he is at.

Although, he may prefer to play at home, or may be thinking about going back to playing in the SEL if he wants a bigger challenge.

And that's for a defence-first centerman, who's now at 6'2", 220lbs. We'll see how either pans out.

Edited by elvis15, 11 March 2012 - 10:48 PM.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#9 jonnycanuck46

jonnycanuck46

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 714 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 03:49 PM

Friesen has 19 points in 12 playoff games so far.
Posted Image

Ephesians 2:7-9

"That in the ages to come he might show the exceeding riches of his grace in his kindness toward us through Christ Jesus.
For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast."

#10 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,207 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 09:52 AM

Sounds like an Alex Burrows type, more than RR37?

We can only hope, although I would be thrilled to have another (hopefully healthy) RR37...

Edited by Canuck Surfer, 19 May 2012 - 09:54 AM.

#11 thad

thad

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,297 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 04:46 PM

Reminds me of Dave bolland kinda.. I wouldn't mind getting our own bolland haha

#12 Bo Horvat

Bo Horvat

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 04:06 PM

I'm surprised we don't hear much about this guy given what he's doing right now.
Posted Image

#13 Phil_314

Phil_314

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,500 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 05:32 PM

by "massive" hits (in elvis15's post) he's not talking about Brad Marchand submarine style on Salo massive right? Hoping more of the Dustin Brown/ Cal Clutterbuck knock you down but play clean style? I'd really like it if he (or any of the other big centers we have) can pan out to be a Mike Richards for us-- edgy, can score and is clutch.

John 3:16
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.

Jesus LOVES YOU!
2012, meet Matthew 24:36-47!

14 I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

#14 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,272 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 12:40 PM

He'll probably never even get a real crack at our line-up, maybe get a few games as a call-up.
As an overager, 67 points is really nothing special, players who never amounted to anything more than career AHLers put up much better overage seasons than Friesen did.
His physical edge make give him a chance, but the rest of his game simply isnt NHL calibre.

Jagermeister.jpg

#15 Joel Heyman

Joel Heyman

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,674 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 06:24 PM

by "massive" hits (in elvis15's post) he's not talking about Brad Marchand submarine style on Salo massive right? Hoping more of the Dustin Brown/ Cal Clutterbuck knock you down but play clean style? I'd really like it if he (or any of the other big centers we have) can pan out to be a Mike Richards for us-- edgy, can score and is clutch.

Take a look at this video. He can hit.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WVJJFaJZxv0

i44w87.jpgryanroyazzopardi+rolled+a+random+image+p
Blue Team

#16 BoKnows53

BoKnows53

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 06:35 PM

Freezer is an NHL ready name.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.