The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Cbj Looking To Deal 1St 2012

Gillis was Bure's agent and probably sees alot of him in Yakupov. He probably recognizes our need for a bonafide gamebreaker, someone who when they step on the ice, is immediately dangerous everytime they touch the puck. Defences will be kept honest. You can't say we wouldn't want that on our team. We would have 2 high octane scoring lines that wouldn't have any problem putting the puck in the net. It makes sense to go after Columbus's 1st just for the chance to draft the best prospect to come along since Crosby. That's saying something and it's more than worth it to try and land this player. We would be set up for the next decade and beyond with Yakupov leading our attack. Vancouver just happens to be his favourite team too so I am pretty sure he wants to come here if it could happen. as far as our defense, let's hope we can sign Justin Schultz.. He's top 4 material with amazing hockey sense and a scoring touch you have to see to know what I am talking about. He reminds me of a young Paul Coffey...a dominant defenseman who can take over a game. With Schultz on our backend, and Yakupov up front, this team is not only looking very deadly but very, very exciting and entertaining to watch. I think MG would be insane to not go after the 1st overall when the team likely to have it covets an asset he has. He's got the balls to do this and I think that's his plan. It's going to be a very interesting summer to say the least!

this isnt true....i mean come on ask yourself "do you really think a rebuilding team is looking to deal the 1st overall pick?

they might be listening to offers, just to keep all options open but besides that yakupov will be heading to cbj

Schneider for first overall is not out of the question at all. Schneider was a first round pick who has out performed his draft position from

the start to the point where he is outperforming goalies who were picked 1st or 2nd overall. Not only that, but he is proven and ready.

No one wants to trade him. Unfortunately we may have to. If we do trade him I hope Yakupov or whoever we get is equal value.

article on CBJ's draft and offseason plans from pierre lebrun article can be found at http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/15853/rumblings-who-will-be-next-habs-gm

Jackets' offseason questions

The 30th-place Blue Jackets have an incredibly busy offseason staring at them, from trading Rick Nash to finding a No. 1 goalie and plugging other obvious holes in their lineup.

First and foremost, they’re going to be drafting either first or second overall, depending on the April 10 lottery.

Already there’s been talk the Jackets might want to move their pick because the top-rated players in this year’s draft -- Nail Yakupov and Mikhail Grigorenko -- are Russians, and the Jackets misfired on former high draft picks from Russia in Nikolai Zherdev and Nikita Filatov.

Hogwash, says Jackets GM Scott Howson.

"What I will say to that speculation is that I think it would be close-minded of us, I think it would border on stupidity to not include any player just because they’re from Russia," Howson told ESPN.com this week. "I think everybody is different. The fact that Zherdev and Filatov didn’t work out here will have no bearing on who we select in this upcoming draft."

The No. 1 priority for the NHL roster is pretty obvious.

"We know we’ve got to get better goaltending and that’s going to be an area we’re going to look very hard at to try and be active in that area," said Howson.

He likes his blue line with Jack Johnson joining the likes of James Wisniewski, Marc Methot, Fedor Tyutin and Nikita Nikitin, but up front there will be work to be done especially depending on Rick Nash’s future.

"I’ll have a conversation with Rick after the year ends and see where he’s at, see where we’re at, and make a game plan moving forward," said Howson.

It’s clear Howson hopes to work with Nash in making a deal that helps both the franchise and the player. Of course, with Nash having a no-movement clause, he really has no choice in the matter.

Given the fact a star forward like Zach Parise could be available July 1 via free agency to the same teams who may covet Nash, you must question if that puts pressure on the Jackets to trade Nash before July 1 so as to not compete with those same teams.

"If we’re in fact going to trade him, it’s going to take as long as it takes for us to get the right deal," Howson said. "That’s just the way it has to be, that’s how we’re going to operate. If it takes until June 22, or July 22, or August 22, or December 22, we’ll do it until we get the right deal."

It basically comes down to this: Columbus desperately needs a #1 goaltender, and they have two chips that can fetch one: Rick Nash and their 1st overall. If you look at the list of teams that were interested in Nash (NYR, SJ, TOR, PHI) the only goalie worth looking at is Bobrovsky, and even then, he's not a proven thing. Schneider is probably the best young non-starter out there (apologies to Rask), but the problem is that Gillis is not going to take Nash for him, which means that if the Jackets want him they'll have to ante up the 1st overall.

It seems kind of unlikely, but Howson has made some pretty stupid decisions, so who knows?

Pretty obvious that CBJ needs to unload Nash and needs a massive upgrade in every position. Not sold on the defencemen they have either. I doubt CBJ will sit through a 5yr rebuild so they need to do a fast upgrade and make it to the playoffs in a year or two.

So maybe...

Schneider + Raymond + Schroeder + 1st for 1st Overall + Gillies.

LA Kings have Jonathon Bernier,better prospects and will probably have a higher 1st round pick than the Canucks.

If the Kings want the #1 overall pick and CBJ are willing to trade it, you have to favor the Kings ahead of the Canucks.

Says who?Bernier is 2 years younger but slightly less proven, both have big potential but LA would be able to add better pieces.I don't see how they would take Schneider over Bernier if the Kings are adding higher picks and better prospects. Bernier=Schneider

Says who?Bernier is 2 years younger but slightly less proven, both have big potential but LA would be able to add better pieces.I don't see how they would take Schneider over Bernier if the Kings are adding higher picks and better prospects. Bernier=Schneider

Archived