The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Cbj Looking To Deal 1St 2012

It would make sense considering that pretty much our whole team is signed for next year.

Getting a top 6 player for $3.75 mil could be excellent value for the money. Especially so if MG can get Ballard included in the deal.

And let's be honest....Yakupov firing home one timers and fed breakaway passes from the Sedins could be unreal. Just as possible would be his ability to turn our 2nd line into a very deadly offensive line. We would still have our 1st to either draft or use to acquire a D-man, and whatever compensation we will get for Raymond.

Sedins-Yakupov

Booth-Kes-Burrows

Higgens-Lappy-Hansen

________-Manny-Kassian

or

Sedins-Burrows

Booth-Kes-Yakupov

Higgens-Lappy-Hansen

________-Manny-Kassian

All of those players would be signed with Bieksa, Edler, Hamhuis, Ballard, Tanev and Alberts.

/ Add to that as well that even the year after, in 2 seasons, 2013, we would still be able to 'cobble' together a top 6 of:

Sedins-Yakupov

Booth-Kes-Kassian

Meaning the Canucks wouldn't need to put the pressure on any of their young prospects to be top 6 players for 2 more years.

Yeah I could see Columbus's 1st for Schneider and Vancouver's 1st.

Only problem is that you are then left with Lou and Lack and pun intended I believe that is lacking.

Kind of a bind for the Canucks as trading away Schneider is in a way " Cutting off the nose to spite the face "!

Would be better for the Canucks I think to find a taker for Lou and keep Scheids but this is much easier said than done.

Either way even though it is a bind it is also an exciting issue to have. Yakopov would be amazing. Memories of Pavel!

Guest Dasein

I'm guessing they don't want to build such a shaky franchise around a Russian. I understand that.

But it will take far more than Schneider to pry it out of them. If anything, I think it's more likely that Columbus trades down and while getting a few blue chip prospects in return as well.

For example,

To CBJ: Toronto's 1st round pick (8th overall) + Jake Gardiner + Joe Colbourne

To TOR: 1st overall pick

I'd also tank one more year if I was CBL so that I'd get a chance at Nathan MacKinnon.

the real question is does columbus have the time needed to mature a goalie prospect? i don't think the owner(s) will keep paying the bills for the 3-5 years needed for that. thats what makes this plausible. they need to make the playoffs next year.

Sedins+Luongo

for

Columbus 1st round

pick+Johansen+Nash+Methot

Nash-Kesler-Burrows

Higgens-Johansen-Booth

Kassian-Phalsson-Raymond

Lapierre-Malholtra-Hansen

Yakopov- in minors

Edler-Bieksa

Hamhuis-Tanev

Methot-Rome

Schneider

Lack

Ummmm, who is here is surprised? The only time it wasn't up for grabs was 2005 and 2004. Every year, what they will do tell the leauge, that the 1st overall pick is avaialble, and they will just see what offers they will get for it, to see what options are available. In this case, they might actually be a little more serious, and just not doing it to see what is offered because Columbus might have another early pick from LA if they miss the playoffs. But nothing to really see here. I am expecting them to use this pick. They do have crap luck when it comes to drafting russian players, terrible luck actually.

I think MG will make a BIG splash at the draft just to calm Canuck nation about giving up skill in Hodgson. He needs to replace that kind of skill in the organization. If we get Yakupov, watch out! He will be an immediate impact player that will contribute right away without waiting long for him to develop. He's got the complete package and will be the young superstar to build the team around as our core ages. Columbus wants Schneider plain and simple and they know Tampa also wants him. Why do you think they leaked that tidbit of info about being willing to deal the 1st pick?.....To tell Tampa that they will be the ones to get Schneider. This will definitely get Vancouver's attention and I do believe that's what MG had told Columbus he wanted. We'll see.

Another thing I'd like to add as well, if we do this deal with CBJ and it comes to fruition, I really hope MG can find a way to get Steve Mason as a throw in. I'd love to see Rollie Melanson get his hands on this guy to see if we can develop him into a quality backup for Lu

I'm curious, those who are very familiar with player values through trade - what is Schneider going to be worth? I know supply/demand is a large factor, but historically (since lockout), what have been the prices for a RFA stud goaltender?

7 years removed from the lockout, this season is a perfect example of parody in the league - we've never seen a more competitive season. But the 1 significant difference between those who hold a playoff berth and those who don't - consistent goal tending. After what Tim Thomas did in the SCF last season, and 'lessons learned through parody' this year, GMs have or will realize you get no where in this league without good goaltending. I think demand shoots through the roof, supply is limited, resulting in cost that might just be laughably high.

I'm curious, those who are very familiar with player values through trade - what is Schneider going to be worth? I know supply/demand is a large factor, but historically (since lockout), what have been the prices for a RFA stud goaltender?

7 years removed from the lockout, this season is a perfect example of parody in the league - we've never seen a more competitive season. But the 1 significant difference between those who hold a playoff berth and those who don't - consistent goal tending. After what Tim Thomas did in the SCF last season, and 'lessons learned through parody' this year, GMs have or will realize you get no where in this league without good goaltending. I think demand shoots through the roof, supply is limited, resulting in cost that might just be laughably high.

if im cbj im like "you haft to be kidding me, we get the 1st pick and the best player is russian!"

but yakupov could be different because he is playing in sarnia.......if he was still playing russia then i would be freaking out

If Yakupov has concussion symptoms that keep him out of the playoffs, he may drop from consensus #1. However, if it's not Yakupov, it's Grigorenko, so if Columbus wants to avoid drafting a Russian, they should trade it. I think they would most likely want to trade for a lower top 5 pick and add a second prospect than anything else.

But if the Jackets do want to trade for more proven talent, they covet Corey Schneider, and MG is interested in adding one of the aforementioned Russians, it will still take more than Schneider and our 1st rounder to make it happen. They will want at least one other prospect/player, and it won't be a player we'd easily part with (such as Ballard or Raymond).

For instance, let's say they want Schneider, a 2nd rounder, and David Booth. (I could see Booth being a player they'd like to add - the friendly, fan-favorite American to generate fan interest). Do you still make that deal? ...I guess it depends on how he performs in the playoffs.

It would make sense considering that pretty much our whole team is signed for next year.

Getting a top 6 player for $3.75 mil could be excellent value for the money. Especially so if MG can get Ballard included in the deal.

And let's be honest....Yakupov firing home one timers and fed breakaway passes from the Sedins could be unreal. Just as possible would be his ability to turn our 2nd line into a very deadly offensive line. We would still have our 1st to either draft or use to acquire a D-man, and whatever compensation we will get for Raymond.

Sedins-Yakupov

Booth-Kes-Burrows

Higgens-Lappy-Hansen

________-Manny-Kassian

or

Sedins-Burrows

Booth-Kes-Yakupov

Higgens-Lappy-Hansen

________-Manny-Kassian

All of those players would be signed with Bieksa, Edler, Hamhuis, Ballard, Tanev and Alberts.

/ Add to that as well that even the year after, in 2 seasons, 2013, we would still be able to 'cobble' together a top 6 of:

Sedins-Yakupov

Booth-Kes-Kassian

Meaning the Canucks wouldn't need to put the pressure on any of their young prospects to be top 6 players for 2 more years.

Archived