The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Where Is All The Grit We Traded For?

SimplyHockey

AV should not have to ask Bieksa to pick up his game.

I mean ,Bieksa's tough side is embarrassing enough as it is,lately.

Duco,Bitz- bring em up,bring up anybody from the farm that they can and sit some of these guys.

Kes has just caught a spark with Higgins helping him out but the first to third lines have contributed zero for like,what? 18 games? Booth has played well.

Kes' offensive game was just awful before Higgins was inserted on the 2nd.

No experienced PP pivot,no secondary scoring and no protection for the Sedins at the trade deadline.

It's like it was trade deadline denial.They acquire two young guys for the future and a centre man with Manny,kes,Hank,Lappy already on the team.

Two days rest is a start,small start,hopefully the beginning because it is obviously way too late to have figured this tiny detail out.

What is the point of smacking the Habs around and ending up getting injured?

If it was a contender then at least we are hurting someone who can hurt us later but there is no sense in risking injury in a game like that.

Stop doubting the boys and their coach...........we are meant to be fans.

We are keeping our powder dry and these guys with the addition of Ballard, Weise, Bitz, Alberts, Rome.........and maybe Duco will be putting down markers in the playoffs.

I will go further and say the likes of the Sedins, Manny and Raymond will be BEASTS in the playoffs.

Burrows is not even finishing his checks anymore. Have they been told to stay healthy going into the playoffs? They are playing like softies. The Sedins can't even keep a cycle going now and are also soft against the wall.

Canucks will be blown out of the playoffs unless they show some heart and pushback. If the refs are going to let teams get away with physically punishing the Sedins and company, the Nucks must take dish out some punishment of their own.

If they keep on passively letting this slide with no consequences, it will be a short playoffs.

Stick up for one another and dictate the physical play.

Lets be real here everyone.

I am so glad we are panicking right now. RIGHT NOW being the key words.

Remember last regular season? Where we lost 2 of the last 3 regular season games to Edmonton, and didint show up at all and got completely embarrassed in every way?

Yeah. I remember that. Very well. Everyone was panicking, and saying how we will fail.

I am going to believe in this team for the entire course of the season-playoffs and regular season.

Lets show them that we're behind them no matter what.

Guest gumballthechewy

The only grit we traded for was Kassian, and I don't know if you noticed, but some big hits and a fight for his efforts tonight. What more do you want from him? This game was an anything goes affair, and everyone played like it.

And I think that's all we're going to get from Zack Kassian.

I don't think he's going to be a skilled guy like Shawn Thornton who is going to have words with opponents and intimidate the opposition. Be the policeman so to speak. He stood up for the team by fighting, but doesn't "go after" anybody.

Well when every gritty player you sign at the beggining of the season gets injured, it's pretty tough.

We have options to put Bitz and Weise in the lineup to add some grit, yet we keep slotting Raymond into the lineup for some reason.

Onc the playoffs come we'll beef up with players like Bitz, Weise, Alberts and/or Rome. I'm not too worried.

Remember last regular season? Where we lost 2 of the last 3 regular season games to Edmonton, and didint show up at all and got completely embarrassed in every way?

Yeah. I remember that. Very well. Everyone was panicking, and saying how we will fail.

Guest gumballthechewy

Ah, so you're of the opinion Pahlsson is a gritty player versus a defensive, shutdown center? He does hit more than someone like Higgins, but still at half the rate of Lapierre, and his 22 PIMs hardly suggest and aggressive, feisty player.

The game isn't black or white, soft or tough, offence or defence.

The Montreal game was just a failure. It doens't mean we don't have any grit. We've seen it first hand how aggressive our team can get. I personally do believe they will get it together, however it all comes down to the Sedins. They need to start producing at a regular flow again, if not, we will finish 3rd, I don't want o finish 3rd, neither do they.

Once we start putting Bitz/Kassian up occasionally with the Sedins you will see a much grittier Sedin. The Sedins are tough as nails but they have a "no fight code." Fair enough in my book. Fighting is not essential to winning the SC, toughness is. Bitz is being paid to take out the trash.

Personally I would feel a lot happier if we had a fit Volpatti, because he actually hurts opponents AND can back it up. With the officiating the way it is in the SC it would mean shooting fish in a barrel for a guy like Volpatti.

The short end of Volpatti's recovery time is due at the end of the month so hopefully we may have him back for the latter stages of the playoffs.

The only grit we traded for was Kassian, unless you're going back to Lapierre from last year. I suppose there was also Duco for the rights to Shirokov over the summer. We signed Bitz and Pinnizotto in the off season, and still had Volpatti, but unfortunately, all three missed most of the season with injuries. We also picked up Weise on waivers. Realistically, there is a place for Lapierre and Kassian in the lineup and at most two but probably only one of our other gritty players, hopefully Bitz, Duco and Weise in that order. As good as Pinnizotto and Volpatti looked before they were hurt, it's going to be hard for them to step back into the lineup during the playoffs so I wouldn't count on it. But Gillis did make a concerted attempt to get some grit, it's just that injuries, the 23 man roster and waiver considerations have prevented us from putting all of it into the lineup at once. Maybe in the playoffs that will change, but that will be up to AV.

Archived