The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Signing Bieksa Over Ehrhoff Was A Big Mistake

Lemieux

Ehrhoff was a valuable player as a play maker. Bieksa was a fringe 7th defenseman right before the 2010-2011 season. He got a couple of good bounces, a lucky break with Ballard being down early in the season, and he got his mega deal.

Bieksa is not a bad player, but certainly not worth the almost $4mil per season if he's not playing on the edge and dropping the gloves. His size is a liability.

Ehrhoff had a certain intelligence about him. He would find the right shooting lane, or make sure that the puck was tippable. The pucks that bounced off the goalie would also be easy to tap into a wide open net. Just look at how few tap-in, or tip-in goals this year by the Canucks and you will know what we are dealing with here.

Even though I'm more of a fan of Ehrhoff than Bieksa, I understand why the Canucks made the move. Bieksa has a leadership role in the room and he's a huge part of the core. Ehrhoff is a luxury and he should've been on this team as well but what hurts the most about losing him is the fact that the Canucks didn't replace him. That will ultimately cost them the Stanley Cup.

You think he needs to drop his Gloves more?

*Newsflash* hes a Top Four Defencemen not a 6th or 7th D-man whos just a Fighter.

If you watched the games Closely you would realize His Size isn't a Liability like you seem to think it is.

Theres no doubt hes not as Offensive as Ehrhoff but Ehrhoff couldnt play Better than he has in Situations he has been playing in.

May i remind you that Ehrhoff played on the powerplay which might have something to do with the "intelligence" and "playmaking ability" he had. It might also have something to do with how he shot and had the puck usually tip in. Ehrhoff never fought, wasnt a hitter and left a contender for more money...

Ehrhoff: 5g,24a. Bieksa:7g,31a

ON pace:35 points On pace:45 points

Archived