Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * - - - 14 votes

Signing Bieksa Over Ehrhoff Was A Big Mistake

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
109 replies to this topic

#91 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 11:36 AM

No it wasn't. Bieksa's season and his abilities in general get severely overlooked. This season he's got 7 goals, 31 assists and 38 points, good for 12th in the NHL in D scoring. He's a great, smooth skater, he's physical and mean, and he's solid in his own end, despite the fact people want to solely credit Hamhuis for his success in the defensive zone. He has a +16 rating to show for it. He's more of an all around player than Ehrhoff and even has more points than him.

I was upset that we lost Ehrhoff to Buffalo but at the same time I won't deny Bieksa is having a fabulous season. Glad we kept him! I'm actually surprised there isn't more talk about him league wide. There aren't many defensemen that come with the full package that he does, except the obvious ones in the elite tier. The other perk is that he's a home grown late round pick of this organization. For a team that doesn't draft many serviceable NHL players, let alone top players, from the late rounds of the draft, they sure did a good job with Bieksa.

#92 Raph

Raph

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,602 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 11:44 AM

I agree with you OP, Bieksa is so overrated as a player.

He had "seniority" so the Canucks organization made it a priority to sign him first before Ehrhoff. He's definitely not worth the $4.6M caphit, considering he needs a star stay-at-home defenseman (Mitchell, Hamhuis), to make him look good.

From a pure hockey standpoint, most teams would take Ehrhoff over Bieksa. But since he had roots in Vancouver, Bieksa was given a good offer.

#93 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 11:51 AM

He had "seniority" so the Canucks organization made it a priority to sign him first before Ehrhoff. He's definitely not worth the $4.6M caphit, considering he needs a star stay-at-home defenseman (Mitchell, Hamhuis), to make him look good.

From a pure hockey standpoint, most teams would take Ehrhoff over Bieksa. But since he had roots in Vancouver, Bieksa was given a good offer.

The ONLY advantage Ehrhoff had over Bieksa was his offensive abilities and, lo and behold, Bieksa has more points than Ehrhoff and is on pace for 5 points less than Ehrhoff's best season with Vancouver. Bieksa is better defensively, more physical and more built for playoff hockey, and is a great skater like Ehrhoff. He's not as good a skater obviously, but a good skater nonetheless so it's not like Ehrhoff has a huge advantage in that area either.

Yes, teams covet players like Ehrhoff, but only if they have guys like Bieksa already.

#94 TimberWolf

TimberWolf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,485 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 11:53 AM

Let's see what happens in the playoffs. Bieksa was pretty valuable in our run last year.

I was saying Lu-Urns...

star-wars-hockey-goal.gif?w=284

#95 VanIsleNuckFan

VanIsleNuckFan

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,708 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 12:53 PM

I don't know what games you were watching but Ehrhoff wasn't very physical and wasn't very good in the playoffs defensively. I was glad to see him go. The last thing we need is soft defencemen.

#96 VanIsleNuckFan

VanIsleNuckFan

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,708 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 12:55 PM

This is not HC Germany, and we aren't a euro league, so no.

#97 rb4u

rb4u

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 05:27 PM

How much a team makes doesn't change having to be under the salary cap.

Bud. You have missed my point completely... my point is that IF the reason why we didn't resign Erhorff was due to his term being too long and too rich. Then to me it is BS since we are a big market club and can afford to give players term on their contract. Worst case we bury him in the minors IF and WHEN his production starts to slip. That bonanza from last year's playoff run more than covers the extra $s we have to spend parking him in the minors. BTW, Anyone wonder what happened to the $50 million revenue from last year's playoffs? With ticket prices as high as they are, Canucks ownership is laughing all the way to the bank with all the extra gravy.

Back to point. At least to me our defense is missing Erhorff more than most people realize or care to admit. Instead of having Hamhuis and Bieska playing a shut down role, we are now relying them for offense. Instead of having Edler playing a more defensive role as Erhorff's partner, again we have him gunning for more offense. Is there any wonder Edler looks so lost out there? Just look at his +/- and how bad he is playing. Did Edler's skill set change over night? Nope. Same tool belt, just different role he is being asked to fill (Erhorff's) and we can all agree it is still work in progress. Right?

As to your retort about having to be under the salary cap. Well let's say I'd rather play $5 million/yr to Erhorff as our No.1 offensive DMan than $4.2 million/yr to Ballard to be a healthy scratch. I am sure that we can find $0.8 million/yr somewhere (ie. Rome or Albert) to make sure that we fit under the cap.

Edited by rb4u, 13 March 2012 - 05:36 PM.

#98 louielouie1

louielouie1

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 05:56 PM

Only on CDC would you find whiny threads all on the first page when the team is 5 points out of first place in the league with 2 games in hand (after tonight).

This thread wouldn't even exist if the team were on a 3, 4 game winning streak.

Posted Image

#99 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,897 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 09:25 AM

Bud. You have missed my point completely... my point is that IF the reason why we didn't resign Erhorff was due to his term being too long and too rich. Then to me it is BS since we are a big market club and can afford to give players term on their contract. Worst case we bury him in the minors IF and WHEN his production starts to slip. That bonanza from last year's playoff run more than covers the extra $s we have to spend parking him in the minors. BTW, Anyone wonder what happened to the $50 million revenue from last year's playoffs? With ticket prices as high as they are, Canucks ownership is laughing all the way to the bank with all the extra gravy.

Back to point. At least to me our defense is missing Erhorff more than most people realize or care to admit. Instead of having Hamhuis and Bieska playing a shut down role, we are now relying them for offense. Instead of having Edler playing a more defensive role as Erhorff's partner, again we have him gunning for more offense. Is there any wonder Edler looks so lost out there? Just look at his +/- and how bad he is playing. Did Edler's skill set change over night? Nope. Same tool belt, just different role he is being asked to fill (Erhorff's) and we can all agree it is still work in progress. Right?

As to your retort about having to be under the salary cap. Well let's say I'd rather play $5 million/yr to Erhorff as our No.1 offensive DMan than $4.2 million/yr to Ballard to be a healthy scratch. I am sure that we can find $0.8 million/yr somewhere (ie. Rome or Albert) to make sure that we fit under the cap.

Perhaps you should have explained yourself better in the first place then. Your post just sounded like "we have the money back the money truck up". You never mentioned burying a contract. Regardless I'm not a fan of lifelong contracts for anybody. If Hoff was willing to take $5m I suspect a deal would have been done. Ehrhoff overpriced himself.

Edler was on a higher point pace than Ehrhoff last year before his back injury. He's not playing much different. For the bulk of the season Ehrhoff hasn't been missed at all. It's just the current Sedin slump, which happens every year although not to this degree, has people panicking and looking for an excuse to explain it.

Personally I think it's the deterioration of the reffing as the season has progressed. It appears we're making a return to random calls. Clutch, grab and interference is on the rise again. And the Sedins have never been overly effective in clutch and grab hockey.

MentalMidgetSig.jpg

#100 RK17Forever

RK17Forever

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 01:56 PM

The big mistake in this situation was Ehrhoff being greedy and wanting more $$$$. Watch as we win the Stanley Cup and his Sabres don't even get past the first round in the time he's there.

#101 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,480 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 03:26 PM

Edler and Sao both looked slow out there.

We could have gotten Ehrhoff back for Raymond, Ballard, and a 1st.

Even if we could have, we wouldn't want it.

Ehrhoff's 4 mil Cap hit looks good right now, but in a few years it's going to look like one of the worst contracts ever.
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#102 Hockey Fever

Hockey Fever

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 03:46 PM

Bieksa is a playoff guy, he gives way more in the playoffs than Ehrhoff. Yes Ehrhoff had 2 more points in the playoffs but he was also a -13 as appossed to +6 of Bieksa. Bieksa is clutch, hardnosed and grouchy in the playoffs and that's exactly what we need !

756ac80c-8542-42cd-b771-2d57edda5a59.jpg

NHL Wikipedia : Operates Major Ice Hockey League known for predetermining Stanley Cup winners and rampant corrupt officiating

"I would love for (the Canucks) to win the Stanley Cup because that would put to bed all the talk about 1994", he says facetiously".
Nathan Lafayette on hitting the post in game seven of the Stanley Cup.

#103 AndyMcDonaldsNeck

AndyMcDonaldsNeck

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 03:54 PM

If MG had to choose between those two, I would say he made the right move. Bieksa makes the club harder to play against than Erhoff. Bieksa is tougher and more suited to a long playoff run than Erhoff. Bieksa has shown heart and leardership and will do anything to help his team win.
He knows what the Stanley Cup means to Canadians and wants it just as bad as we do.

#104 debluvscanucks

debluvscanucks

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,183 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 04:00 PM

*Deb takes off glove and throws it at OP*

Don't get me wrong, I like Ehrhoff, but Bieksa's loyalty to this team is undivided and that comes shining through in the leadership he brings. We'd greatly miss him if he was moved and I very much feel that it would be a "don't know what you've got till it's gone" situation. I would have loved Ehrhoff to stay, too, but Bieksa is a very valuable member of this team.

2421657-1-1-1-1-1.jpg

You can be livin the dream at home. Dont even need to put yer pants on.

-Offensive Threat

#105 Kegmeister Julius

Kegmeister Julius

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 04:10 PM

http://www.nhl.com/i...id=nhl-keymatch - 'Hoff
http://www.nhl.com/i...id=nhl-keymatch - Juice

You are wrong.

yup

when it comes down to it ,juice is better in his own zone and has more points then hoff

and dont say "well bieksa plays with the twins "ect because erhoffs 50 point seasons both came from playing with them , more then juice has
Posted Image

#106 Nail

Nail

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,919 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 04:13 PM

Why is this still a thread?

sg25j6.jpg

Credit to khalifawiz501 for the beautiful sig!

#107 sulihpoeht

sulihpoeht

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 04:13 PM

Stanley cup final appearances:

Bieksa -1
Ehrhoff - 0

End of discussion!

LOL is this a joke?
GO CANUCKS GO!

#108 kchengc

kchengc

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,324 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 04:16 PM

ok... so that will leave us with salo as the ONLY right handed veteran defenseman... bravo...

#109 kchengc

kchengc

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,324 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 04:16 PM

ok... so that will leave us with salo as the ONLY right handed veteran defenseman... bravo...

#110 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,149 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 04:46 PM

Edler was on a higher point pace than Ehrhoff last year before his back injury. He's not playing much different. For the bulk of the season Ehrhoff hasn't been missed at all. It's just the current Sedin slump, which happens every year although not to this degree, has people panicking and looking for an excuse to explain it.

Edler has been MIA these past months and last year benefitted from playing with Christian.

Baggins,you mean that 'you' have not missed Ehrhoff.The team's PP has been non existent in the last months.

Art Ross winners do not go through 'slumps' or they could not win the award,I am thinking.

This is not your garden variety ,every year slump for the Sedins.

This is their longest drought in eight years.They were 23 years old then,with pimples.

The last two years,with Ehrhoff on the PP,the Sedins have both won Art Ross trophies.

It is not about signing Ehrhoff over Bieksa to me.That is a distraction as both bring different skill sets.

It is all about Gillis.org not recognising the worth of Christian to the Sedins and the PP and then not replacing his contribution all year and most especially at the trade deadline.

Henrik update: 2 goals,14 points in 24 games.
Daniel update:9 goals,15 points in 23 games.
********************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Henrik, who won the Art Ross and Hart trophies two years ago with a 112-point season, has two goals and 14 points in 22 games. He had a four-point night against the Toronto Maple Leafs - hey, who doesn't? - which other-wise leaves him with 10 points in 21 games.
Brother Daniel, who won the Ross and Ted Lindsay awards last year with a 104-point season, has nine goals and 15 points in 21 games.
And the power play, paramount to the success of the twins and the Canucks, is five-for-51 in the last 20 games. That is a 9.8-per-cent success rate over the equivalent of an entire quarter of the NHL sea-son. For context, the Phoenix Coyotes have the worst power play in the league this season at 13 per cent.

Read more: http://www.vancouver...l#ixzz1pCSg9WaG

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.