The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Saving "big Push" For The Right Time

BRAVEMAN91

Is it just me or the canucks just don't have the same spark with Kassian in the lineup? I'm still not sold on this kid. He may be great long term but short term i can't help but think we lose out by giving up a promising dynamic player for another blue chipper that needs a ton of development.

Sure Hodgson wanted more ice time and right fully so since he was top four in scoring, but there were ways of giving that to him without trading him. He could have been our second line center with Booth and Kesler on the wing.

Then Pahlsson(sp?) and Malhotra could have been our 3/4 line centers. To me the timing of the deal is questionable. I have heard excuses that he'd never be able to fight off Sedin and Kesler to get the top line minutes but the same argument applies to Schiender and thinking about trading him is some sort of taboo.

Is anyone else feeling the same way?

There is one thing that's got me worried about the Sedins.. and I've noticed it all the way back to last year.. an incident in the playoffs I believe. For a while there, it seemed like being made Captain had gone to Henrik's head. At least when it came to talking to Daniel. One game, Henrik had skated to the bench, and if I remember correctly.. he shouted to Daniel to dump the puck and come to the bench. After that incident.. they haven't really been talking to each other on the bench, rarely look at each other on the bench, and at certain times.. Alex, or whoever their linemate has been, has sat between them on the bench. Even when they celebrate a goal.. they don't look at each other. There's been times Daniel skates right past Henrik after scoring.. happened last year in the playoffs too.

And they didn't look too friendly at the All-star game either.

I really hope I'm just seeing things, and that they are "not" having a brotherly spat. But their body language really says something's not right.

Is it just me or the canucks just don't have the same spark with Kassian in the lineup? I'm still not sold on this kid. He may be great long term but short term i can't help but think we lose out by giving up a promising dynamic player for another blue chipper that needs a ton of development.

Sure Hodgson wanted more ice time and right fully so since he was top four in scoring, but there were ways of giving that to him without trading him. He could have been our second line center with Booth and Kesler on the wing.

Then Pahlsson(sp?) and Malhotra could have been our 3/4 line centers. To me the timing of the deal is questionable. I have heard excuses that he'd never be able to fight off Sedin and Kesler to get the top line minutes but the same argument applies to Schiender and thinking about trading him is some sort of taboo.

Is anyone else feeling the same way?

There is a lot to this team that is sagging in to the dulldrums right now. Plus if that was Kassian's tough guy display last night, the management blew it. If they hit the Sedins, they fold like cabbage leaves on a hot day.

See i don't agree. I think you speculating that he didn't want to be here is not correct. He may have asked for more ice time but that by no means = trade me. If you work somewhere and feel you're under utilized you'll talk to your boss too. My point is you can make better use of your dynamic players. I mean why give Raymond more ice time than Hodgson when Hodgson actually produces.

If you need a grinder/hitter then others like Moen, Matt Kassian, Parros can probably be had for cheap and would also play just 5 minutes a night and protect Sedins. Unless Kassian picks up his game, I will continue to feel this way becuase for the price we paid for him, he (atleast in short term) doesn't seem to be worth it.

He didn't deny it nor confirm it.

He may have gotten into a war of words with the coach and asked why he can't get more ice time. I think if i was in his position .. and same with you we'd both do the same.

maybe AV didn't want to accomodate him which makes him a bad coach in my opinion. It's not like a 4th line plugger is asking for 20 minutes. Its one of your top scorers who actually shows up to play and plays well in key games. I don't see the big deal.

Kassian's still a little young.. he's going to take at least another season.. but he's got all the ingredients. He just needs to settle down a bit.. he seems a little too eager.. a kid. :P

Ever see his spinorama? Just like Bert.

The kid can score..

Zach Kassian shows off big shot 12/7/11

Zack Kassian Goal Against The Nashville Predators 12/03/2011

Zack Kassian 1st career goal 11/26/11

Zack Kassian's First Goal as a Canuck - Canucks Vs Sabres - 03.03.12 - HD

He has numerous others that are highlight reel type, but they're from Junior.

And as for fights, same thing.. tons from Junior, but only a few in NHL

Matt Martin vs Zack Kassian Nov 29, 2011

Zack Kassian vs Tom Sestito Feb 16, 2012

Nice hit on OV as well.. :D

Zack Kassian drops Alexander Ovechkin

And watching the fights from Junior.. majority were sticking up for a teammate.. something we haven't seen in a long time.

In "my" opinion.. Zack Kassian has way more potential than Cody Hodgson ever had.

Cheers...

He didn't deny it nor confirm it.

He may have gotten into a war of words with the coach and asked why he can't get more ice time. I think if i was in his position .. and same with you we'd both do the same.

maybe AV didn't want to accomodate him which makes him a bad coach in my opinion. It's not like a 4th line plugger is asking for 20 minutes. Its one of your top scorers who actually shows up to play and plays well in key games. I don't see the big deal.

Oh don't get me wrong .. Kassian is probably going to be great in the future. like i said i question his addition now.

Okay then i guess I wouldn't stay quiet.. Hodgson is a pretty seasoned athlete. He's taken his OHL and our AHL team to the finals and after getting the taste of the NHL last season me thinks he was finally hitting his stride. To me a good coach gives his players an opportunity to shine esp when the player produces in key games.

Maybe i'm thinking too rationally here. In business when youre employees outperform your expectations you try to slowly load them with more responsibility while monitoring their progress. If they thrive then you look better for it. If AV doesn't run his team by that philosophy then to me he's not a good coach. its that simple.

And if we kept him he'd be stuck as 3rd line center.. for at least another season. Unless you planned on moving either Henrik or Kessler, you'd wind up with someone else being bumped from wing position, and players out of "natural" position. Sure.. they should be able to play wing as well, but they play better in their natural positions. Linden wasn't as good as a right winger than he was a center. He was great as a winger, but better as a center.

Gillis made a decision.. any decision is a gamble. But for what this team "had", and what they "needed".. both now and down the road.. I think he made a good choice. Even if Kassian becomes half of what Bert was.. he's better than Cody. In my opinion.

Oh don't get me wrong .. Kassian is probably going to be great in the future. like i said i question his addition now.

Okay then i guess I wouldn't stay quiet.. Hodgson is a pretty seasoned athlete. He's taken his OHL and our AHL team to the finals and after getting the taste of the NHL last season me thinks he was finally hitting his stride. To me a good coach gives his players an opportunity to shine esp when the player produces in key games.

Maybe i'm thinking too rationally here. In business when youre employees outperform your expectations you try to slowly load them with more responsibility while monitoring their progress. If they thrive then you look better for it. If AV doesn't run his team by that philosophy then to me he's not a good coach. its that simple.

If I recall,at the end of last season,the Canucks lost back to back games with the Oilers..not really impressive.Then came out gangbusters against the Hawks in the first round,and then collapsed after game three.One thing that I've learned is it\s impossible to speculate with the Canucks.

They could just as easily win the Stanley Cup as get knocked out in the first round....You look at St.Louis and see a fairly consistent team...I am always a bit leery of streaky teams that think they can 'flip the switch'.

And if we kept him he'd be stuck as 3rd line center.. for at least another season. Unless you planned on moving either Henrik or Kessler, you'd wind up with someone else being bumped from wing position, and players out of "natural" position. Sure.. they should be able to play wing as well, but they play better in their natural positions. Linden wasn't as good as a right winger than he was a center. He was great as a winger, but better as a center.

Gillis made a decision.. any decision is a gamble. But for what this team "had", and what they "needed".. both now and down the road.. I think he made a good choice. Even if Kassian becomes half of what Bert was.. he's better than Cody. In my opinion.

Archived