The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Saving "big Push" For The Right Time

BRAVEMAN91

It's not that simple. From an outside perspective it may look simple, but the coaching staff knows more about the players and the team than any fan ever could.

We just see the on ice product in games. AV runs them through practices and assesses players in all aspects including work ethic, drive, commitment (to improving and to the team) and attitude. There's obviously more going on here than meets the eye. Something (or some things) happened behind the scenes that had to be causative factors in the decision to make this trade.

Anyone who blindly believes that Cody wanted to play out his entire career in Vancouver needs to open their eyes. Did he ask for a trade? Probably not. But did he say he'd take his services elsewhere at the end of his contract, or request that he be traded after the playoffs? Did he make it clear in some way to management that he did not wish to play for the organization any longer than he had to? Maybe. Either situation would account for his "shock", while not specifically requesting a trade, but also not discounting it.

Management made a move to get optimal value for an asset in their system. All that remains to be seen is whether or not it will pan out.

There is one thing that's got me worried about the Sedins.. and I've noticed it all the way back to last year.. an incident in the playoffs I believe. For a while there, it seemed like being made Captain had gone to Henrik's head. At least when it came to talking to Daniel. One game, Henrik had skated to the bench, and if I remember correctly.. he shouted to Daniel to dump the puck and come to the bench. After that incident.. they haven't really been talking to each other on the bench, rarely look at each other on the bench, and at certain times.. Alex, or whoever their linemate has been, has sat between them on the bench. Even when they celebrate a goal.. they don't look at each other. There's been times Daniel skates right past Henrik after scoring.. happened last year in the playoffs too.

And they didn't look too friendly at the All-star game either.

I really hope I'm just seeing things, and that they are "not" having a brotherly spat. But their body language really says something's not right.

That's exactly my point.. why move any one of them when they can be shifted. If kesler is in a slump why should he get 2nd line center duties. he should be moved down in favor of someone who can play the minutes and produce instead. He was getting third line duties because AV wasn't willing to make changes.. even for short term.

yea he did get sheltered minutes but i'm not convinced that he cannot play against other team's top lines. He hasn't been given enough chance (under canucks). Throughout the game AV could switch him in and out of second line to gradually push him into bigger minutes but i haven't seen that yet consistently. IN Buffalo he's not producing but i think its more because he has to gel with the new team and line mates. He already had that here.

I just hope you're all right. I'm just cautiously optimistic about Kassian. I don't want him to turn into a bernier.

You need to learn patience my friend. I've been waiting since their very first season.. and this is the best team they've ever had. I had doubts before last year's playoffs, and got it from all my friends. I just didn't think they had the muscle to push back. In fact.. they haven't really had it since Bert left. But this year.. they're just as good as last year, and maybe even better.. yet they never "really" had Hodgson until the playoffs.. right? They got there without him.. and they'll keep on getting there without him. And with the additions of Pahlsson, Gragnane, and Kassian, I really do think they're better than last year.

I've waited this long.. even if it's "next" season, that's fine. But from what I see.. we have the makings of a dynasty, right here, right now. This year, next year, and.. when does the Sedin's contract expire? 2014?

We'll be fine. Have faith. :)

cheers..........

I was just about to start a topic about not saying that the team is trying to take it easy before the playoffs to prevent injuries, fatigue, etc, etc. People who think this are crazy, they are athletes, they are not going to suck to keep "healthy". Either way the Sedins, Kesler etc are playing 3 periods and have to skate around, the only way they would be preparing for the playoffs is if they didn't play at all (which is counter productive because you lose timing, chemistry, etc....look at what happen to the Caps couple years back when they rested their top players). If they aren't scoring or putting up points its because they are actually not performing and not because they are saving themselves for the playoffs.

If the team was going to "coast" into the playoffs to not be banged up and because we are going to have second place in the west anyways and so on and so forth, that attitude is not very evident in the locker room. Hank just pretty much said they're in a slump, AV is obviously not happy, so he splits them up. People who think, they are okay with second in the west and are playing conserved so they can bring it in April need to give their head a shake!!

The team wants to win, Hank/Dan and everybody else is trying to put their best game on the ice and right now they can't produce because they are actually getting shut down and not because they are waiting for the playoffs to start to really "turn the switch". They are trying to turn the switch as we speak and the switch isn't turning!

But people will still insist that the team is holding back so they have a deep playoff run. Preparing for that starts now, not second week of April!

Actually that's where you and I differ in opinion. I think it was time to be patient two seasons ago when we were still stacking up.

After last season's falter in the final, we needed someone proven.. not a maybe traded for a proven. So i disagree. Now is not the time to wait. After this year we have one more year to make it .. and then most of the core is gonna be traded, or will become UFA (IE: burrows).

As for the last post above me - i agree they're different players. I have no problem with the type of player that Kassian is. I just have a problem with us trading for a player like Kassian in his development stages. because what he brings now, any other fourth line plug could also bring but cheaper and allow us to keep Cody in the lineup as well.

Anyways .. lets see how it goes. You all think we're better off now, i certainly do not and if we bow out of the playoffs in second round i'll know i'm right.

not at all what i meant.

Cody this year made up for Torres's 14-15 goals last year and more. He wasn't the whole team but he was a big part of our offense. If you don't realize that then idk what to tell you.

and Bodee, i hope you're right. I hope they're not playing to their full potential on purpose to save up their energy.

There is one thing that's got me worried about the Sedins.. and I've noticed it all the way back to last year.. an incident in the playoffs I believe. For a while there, it seemed like being made Captain had gone to Henrik's head. At least when it came to talking to Daniel. One game, Henrik had skated to the bench, and if I remember correctly.. he shouted to Daniel to dump the puck and come to the bench. After that incident.. they haven't really been talking to each other on the bench, rarely look at each other on the bench, and at certain times.. Alex, or whoever their linemate has been, has sat between them on the bench. Even when they celebrate a goal.. they don't look at each other. There's been times Daniel skates right past Henrik after scoring.. happened last year in the playoffs too.

And they didn't look too friendly at the All-star game either.

I really hope I'm just seeing things, and that they are "not" having a brotherly spat. But their body language really says something's not right.

Look, it's disheartening and frustrating watching a team with so much potential tread water.  But I think they are hitting the bottom of the slump and will work their way out.

First sign of a slump:   you win games that on the whole, should probably have gone to the other team.   That was surely the case about 2-3 weeks ago.  The next phase the team just plays badly and it's obvious for all to see.  This is where the Nux are now.  When we move on to losing games that it looks lke we should win, we are on our way out of the slump.

Bear in mind too that right now many teams are bubble teams fighting for a playoff spot, or are playing for pride right now ala Montreal.  You can see we are not matching the intensity.  Our guys (Amex line excepted)are being beaten to pucks constantly.   You can see players pulling up on their checks.   With the parity in the league right now taking your foot off the gas even 5% can tilt the odds against you in any given game.

A lot of good teams are struggling right now - the two main exceptions being St. Louis in the West and Pittsburgh in the East.  Nux should be good to go come playoff time.

Archived