The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Luongo

CanucksFanMike

Look we are going to lose Cory and only really have another month to watch him play hockey in a Canucks Jersey, unless the worst possible scenario happens and we see him take over Lu's spot during the playoffs.

Just start Cory until he loses a game. So that we fans can get to see him live up to his potential before we trade him on draft day. Please. Cory is our best chance to win right now.

Im so sick and tired of people not excepting the fact of when Lu plays bad for a stretch of games and cory is playing well. You guys are always saying the same thing after Lu plays bad "stats arnt everything, Lu is the reason were here today" BS. Schnieds would of just as easily got us to where we are today, Luongo isnt THE reason were winning all these games. You do realize our offense is at the top of the league dont you? Im not saying Lu is a bad goaltender of jumping on him because of his poor play lately, i just want you guys to realize Lu is not our end all be all and except the fact hes not the goalie he once was. It pisses me off Cory didnt get the start last night after playing so well and getting the win. When he plays like he did against the jets i say u gotta play him the next game, especially after the way Lu played against buffalo.

Now ill take all the heat from the Lu "faithful" about how he got us here today and how cory is just a "backup" and hasnt proven anything. BS.

You're wrong and you are unable to see how your stats are skewed to achieve your desired outcome. You did not take a random sample of LU's games played. You took his best stretch of the season. Why did you not take the first 2 months of teh season? How about including the last 3 weeks? The reason is, you want to put Lu's performance in the best light possible.

You then go on to add in numerous "historical" achievements which have no bearing on current playing ability. Based on that argument, we should bring back Brodeur 'cause he used to be great.

By the way you mis-use statistical data, you are obiously not a statistician but perhaps work for a political think-tank?

How about commenting on how Lu's slow starts each year are getting longer in duration? I acknowledge he won the team games and got points in February the team did not deserve but how many points in the early season were lost while he was "finding" his game?

If you want to dredge up LU's past successes, you ahd better include his past failures which include major melt-downs in each of the last 3 playoff years.

If you can't see that your "facts" are comparing apples to oranges and the irrelevance of awards won years ago to current performance, there is little use continuing the argument.

there's some interesting opinions

I also want the Canucks to do well, obviously. I actually don't care if Lu or Schneider plays, as log as it is a win.

what I get from this though is that you don't want to count in historical but only current stats.

honestly, we don't have any proof or actually any possibility to ever know if Schneider would have done any better if he played the amount that Lu played this season, you merely extrapolate his current stats.

by your reasoning though, we should have taken the Sedin's out the last two weeks and replace them by other players.

to conclude, I think Luongo deserves to be the number 1 come playoff time. however, if he struggles, Schneider should be tried (as other teans did with Cam Ward, Antti Niemi, ...).

I for one are happy about and confident in BOTH goaltenders.

Its because its simple...those who support Lou and good on them for being fans are blinded by that alegiance...and hey that's what being a fan is often...standing by your guy when he's down.

The issue I have with these people is that they are giving all objective fan's some sort of revisionist history...they see things that happened in 2006 or 7 when Lou got here and not how he is playing now. Yes he was was a world class goalie but honestly, ever since that goal he let in, in the playoffs vs anaheim we've seen the following:

1. Highly inconsistent play, one night he looks like he's the best goalie in the world, the next he looks like Dan Cloutier

2. He often and I repeat often lets in weak goals AT the WRONG time...ie its not how many you save its when. Anyone who's played a competitive team sport, knows how deflating it is when one of the leaders, key parts of your team, consistently makes errors when you need him to be there. Its even more pronounced in goaltending in hockey. For all the great saves Lou has made in the past, he has consistently lost games for the canucks by not holding them in it, ie opening the floodgates - we've all seen it yet the Lou supporters ignore this. Its real.

3. Terrible rebound control, the guy kicks pucks into the middle and dangerous areas more than a pinball machine

4. Lateral movement - has worsened since his groin injury a few years back, he is aging and you can see it in his movement, its not fluid side to side, its erratic.

5. Recovery time, ability to make a follow on save. Lou can't seem to manage that any more, his positioning is weak, see number 4 and as a result on second and third shots, unless the d is playing perfect its in the net.

6. His stats vs. the starters in the league say enough, again Lou supporters point to two months of play vs. looking at the trend of his play over the last 3 years, its worsening, I'm sorry to say it but its true.

7. Mental toughness, we all know he has shown the ability to melt under pressure. No one can argue but the do. Of all the intangibles of Stanley Cup winning goalies, ability to shut the door and put a bad goal behind them is key. Even a guy like Chris Osgoode who faced so much criticism showed that ability, Lou has shown meltdowns.

Now lets look at Cory

1. Younger, cheaper but doesn't have the NTC like Lou nor the bigger contract

2. Rebound control - superb, the guy sucks pucks up like a vacuum or puts them to low danger areas

3. Poise, his own teammates say he has ice in his veins

4. Stats thus far this year, superior

5. Positioning and recovery time - incredible, seldom out of position, often able to make the 2nd and 3rd save. Makes saves look easier as they aren't 'desperation' recoveries like Lou

6. Lateral movement, fluid, quick, gets post to post easily and doesn't pull outside the crease leaving the net wide open

I am a Canuck fan like everyone else. I don't HATE lou, I don't wish him ill will. I would hope he could revert to the goalie he was when he got here and stole games for the nucks, and willed them into the playoffs. Unfortunately, father time, some emotional challenges he has had a hard time clearing (Chi, Anaheim, etc) are not being kind to him.

He is not the same goalie he was, he is on the decline, we have a better younger goalie in the wings. It is time to start playing the best player, and as one poster said on here a year ago, perhaps the decision to trade a goalie will be determined after this playoff.

This is the best team the Vancouver Canucks have had in my life. They brought Lou in and promised they would build a team around him. They have. We lost for many reasons last year, but he was also a big part of that. He has had a long leash, its time to say what matters is winning NOW...play the best/hottest goalie. If its Lou who finds his game, great, win the cup. But if its Schnieds, play him damm it...regardless of salary, ego, promises etc...

As they say, its a business, time to start treating it as one MG/AV.

Well? Luongo sat for Schneider and guess what we won again! Whooohooo!!! Hey, reality check, Luongo is playing some of the worst hockey of his career lately, nothing personal just a true fact........his technique is horrible and non existant, his rebound control is nowhere to be found, 7 soft goals in the last 3 games he has started, what else do I have to say.......oh I know he is a great guy fore sure but in the NHL and goaltending it's always what have you done for me lately, not what did you do 2 months ago...admit it he is on the skids and Schneider needs to go on a serious run until Luongo gets his game and confidence back........

Schneider's technique is superb and flawless, rebound control=what rebounds?, save percentage 3rd overall in the whole league and 7th best g.a.a. in the whole league, these two stats never lie and are a true telling tale of how good a goalie is actually playing......

No need to feel sorry for Lou and his humingous contract...he's a big boy making crazy money, he will be okay....but seriously Schneider is not a back up goalie, he is in the same league as Quick in L.A. easily 2 of the top technical goalies in the world......

Originalcanuckster over and out!

Great goalies like Roy, Brodeur and Hasek always secure their starting goalie job by thier play on ice. When MG has to come out in public to announce that Luongo is the Canucks no.1 goalie, you know there is something wrong with the guy.

When the Canucks were down by 2 early in game 7 of the SCF and Luongo jumped to avoid being hit by a Bruin lying on ice sliding with the puck towards the Canucks net to give Boston an easy 3rd goal, the final nail in the coffin, all I could say is that Luongo is just a highly paid selfish coward. All he had to do was sticks and pads down, took a hit and there would be no goal and

still be a slim chance of a comeback. It is just sick to watch this guy fake like he is injured or shot everytime he goes down.

MG has to admit his mistake in giving Luongo a big fat contract and AV has to care more about the team winning than Luongo's ego and play the much better goalie Schneider in the playoffs. There is no way you can win anything with sneaky Luongo. It will be a guaranteed early exit for the Cancuks if AV keeps Luongo in goal after he gives up 2 softies or quickies in games.

Another start and another win for Schneid... All this kid does does is win games.

Start Schneids in the playoffs and if he has a bad game well then we have a seasoned back-up (Louongo) to fill in and steady the ship. But if AV never gives him a chance, then we will never know his true potential.

I'm a goalie who has played hockey for over 20 years and I'm telling you right now that this kid is the real deal.

Honestly, I really don't understand this board's fascination with the topic.

At the end of the day, Luongo has an NTC.

What is there to discuss?

It's not like the merits of Schneider over Luongo haven't been beaten to death a million times. Why do you guys insist on repeating yourselves over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over.....?

Obviously Schneider is the real deal, anyone with half a brain can see that. But Luongo will not be traded, so what is there to discuss?

Absolutely nothing.

I am likely one of the biggest supporters of Cory there is. I think the problem with Lou is in his head and if it hasn't been fixed by now it certainly will not go away becasue with him it is a confidence thing and as he gets older he will have less of it.

AV is the real problem if he can't see what is going on. How many times even when the score is 0-0 you can just see Lou struggling to stop anything, and then 1-2 go by him and his confidence is shot. If AV would pull him at least Lou would feel like,,ok,,couple bad goals but our team still had a chance,,but AV lets him stay in 3-4-5 and you can see the team deflate.

Games like Anaheim, Edmonton and Buffulo Lou got pulled after letting in 3-4 goals in each of them games(Cory allowed 1 goal in 108 minutes of relief of Lou playing bad, and came in once when Lou was injured and didnt allow a goal in 37 minutes,,,,How many do you think Lou would have allowed?) and the Canucks got within 1 goal each game of coming back because they felt like they had a chance, and sure Lou has righted the ship a few times after letting in 3-4 goals but it is more likely that he will not, and the team will not.

Next time Lou struggles and lets in a couple bad ones and AV refuses to play Cory nobody should boo Lou because at least Lou is trying,,they should yell,,"Fire AV" because he is the one that makes that call, and I am sure many on the bench wonder why their coach wont at least give them a better chance to win by pulling a goalie struggling to one that has come in and played 145 minutes of relief and allowed 1 goal.

Honestly, I really don't understand this board's fascination with the topic.

At the end of the day, Luongo has an NTC.

What is there to discuss?

It's not like the merits of Schneider over Luongo haven't been beaten to death a million times. Why do you guys insist on repeating yourselves over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over.....?

Obviously Schneider is the real deal, anyone with half a brain can see that. But Luongo will not be traded, so what is there to discuss?

Absolutely nothing.

Luongo has dropped from being a world class goalie to being an average net minder. Every so often he shows his old Luongo brilliance; however those games are becoming fewer and fewer. His greatest weakness is his lack of lateral movement in the crease. Flopping to his belly and spreading his legs does not get it.

I have a feeling that the Canuck management will be approaching him and asking him to waive his no trade deal. Schneider is no longer being looked at as trade bait.

Archived