The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Luongo

CanucksFanMike

Luongo has dropped from being a world class goalie to being an average net minder. Every so often he shows his old Luongo brilliance; however those games are becoming fewer and fewer. His greatest weakness is his lack of lateral movement in the crease. Flopping to his belly and spreading his legs does not get it.

I have a feeling that the Canuck management will be approaching him and asking him to waive his no trade deal. Schneider is no longer being looked at as trade bait.

Nice to get some objective comments. Lu is not a bum. He is a good goaltender. But Schneider is a better goaltender. Schneider is one of the top 4 or 5 goaltenders in the league and Lu is only about average -- and is inconsistent -- a lot of great saves but too many questionable goals.

Although goalies can be very good into their late 30s, a lot of goaltenders start an age-related decline at about the age Lu is now (about to turn 33). One thing that worries me about Lu's style is that he like to play a lot and seems to need to play a lot to stay sharp. That is okay in your 20s. But as goaltenders get older they need to pace themselves -- the body just cannot take the same level of use (or abuse) as you get older.

If Lu cannot adapt to a lower workload (in games and in practice) he is likely to struggle from here on.

The Canucks should obviously be looking at a way to keep Schneider long term. This would probably mean Lu and Schneider splitting duties next year with Lu gradually becoming a highly paid backup. And he is likely to ask for a trade somewhere along the line.

Im so sick and tired of people not excepting the fact of when Lu plays bad for a stretch of games and cory is playing well. You guys are always saying the same thing after Lu plays bad "stats arnt everything, Lu is the reason were here today" BS. Schnieds would of just as easily got us to where we are today, Luongo isnt THE reason were winning all these games. You do realize our offense is at the top of the league dont you? Im not saying Lu is a bad goaltender of jumping on him because of his poor play lately, i just want you guys to realize Lu is not our end all be all and except the fact hes not the goalie he once was. It pisses me off Cory didnt get the start last night after playing so well and getting the win. When he plays like he did against the jets i say u gotta play him the next game, especially after the way Lu played against buffalo.

Now ill take all the heat from the Lu "faithful" about how he got us here today and how cory is just a "backup" and hasnt proven anything. BS.

Not picking sides but I'm about 100% sure that if Schneids was playing the amount of games Lu was, we would still be on top of the standings. Maybe even better. I'm a huge Luongo fan, I loved the guy and defended the guy since he got here. But I'm no Luongo homer, when he plays bad, I admit it, and right now he's playing like the second best goalie on our team, and I will admit that too.

Always so easy to blame Luongo isn't it Canuck fans?

Maybe if we tightened up defensively the past few games we'd see less goals scored on us.

I've noticed quite a few 2 on 1 chances for the opponents lately. Is that Luongos fault too?

Luongo has dropped from being a world class goalie to being an average net minder. Every so often he shows his old Luongo brilliance; however those games are becoming fewer and fewer. His greatest weakness is his lack of lateral movement in the crease. Flopping to his belly and spreading his legs does not get it.

I have a feeling that the Canuck management will be approaching him and asking him to waive his no trade deal. Schneider is no longer being looked at as trade bait.

Canucks score 1 goal and lose the game ... Clearly Luongo's fault ...

CDC - "OMFG !!!! LU SUCKS !!! LU Y U NO GET SHUTOUT ??!!?? MG Y U NO TRADE BUM GOALTENDARZ !!??!!"

How some people on this site are even able to use the internet is a miracle given their clear lack of intelligence and sensible reasoning.

Wow

I think we can all agree the Canucks haven't been playing at there best for months now

But come on Luo has had what 3 bad games in a row

Who was the guy winning games for us when we were giving up 40 shots a night?

Who was winning games for us when we couldn't win in reg. and kept going to shootout or o.t.?

Who has been facing 2 on 1's because every game for a while now?

Wasn't he a Vezina nominee last year?

Didn't he win a gold medal jsut 2 years ago?

His team-mates have been playing like crap in front of him for a long time now.

He can't win every game for us it's a team game.

Whatever Luo will prove you all wrong

and all you Luongo fans fail...or refuse to recognize that for all the faults the Canucks are showing as a team....Cory Schneider is playing winning goal tending and Luongo is not...and guess what...playing for the same underachieving team....ask yourselves how come.....

Archived