The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Three Scoring Lines.

Braman

Other than the Canucks, there's another team I really like to cheer for. I like the way this other team doesn't run 2 scoring lines, 1 checking line and 1 energy line but instead runs 3-4 scoring lines.

Why do the Canucks insist on taking out skill and going with a more 'conventional' lineup. If you can run 3 scoring lines, you run 3 scoring lines. Hell, if you can run 4 scoring lines then do that! One or two of the scoring lines would also be good defensively of course. The Canucks have one of the best two way forwards in Kesler. By being able to run 3 scoring lines, you constantly keep your opponent countering and defending leaving little time for offense themselves. What would you rather have? 3 lines that can score and 1 solid defensive line? Or 2 lines that can score, 1 solid defensive line and 1 'energy' line?

Downgrading our offense was a mistake. What happens when the Sedins get shut down? Who do we have scoring? Kesler('s line)? Yes. Who else? This is why having Hodgson was such a boon. Picking up Pahlsson was great and all but he gives us the same thing that Malhotra was already supposed to be doing (has the eye injury set him back that much? maybe it has). And moving Hodgson to the wing with Kesler WAS a good option (remember that it was when Kesler played on the wing with Sundin that he started to become the star player he is now.) But now that the Canucks aren't as offensively deep,

I'm not going to rag on Kassian here - I haven't seen him play enough to know what he's fully capable of - but he certainly doesn't put up the points or have the brilliant playmaking ability that Hodgson did. Hopefully Kassian becomes useful by playoff time is all I'll say about that. (Hodgson even made Raymond look good... I hope this trade doesn't come back to bite us. Maybe Kassian will be a star in the future too?)

But our offense - especially the Sedins - have been getting shut down hard lately and the rest of the team needs to pick up the slack. (And the Sedins need to gtfo this slump)

In short, if you can run more than 2 scoring lines, you do it. The other team I love to cheer for so much that runs 3-4 scoring lines? It's Team Canada if you didn't already figure that out. If you have the talent in your roster to run more than 2 scoring lines, you do it.

A shame it's too late...

First off, congratulations on your 6th post here on CDC

And second, what is the point of having 3-4 scoring lines....the 3rd line will be playing against the other teams first and second. How can they score in the playofs when they're pinned in their own zone? and Hodgson didnt play on the PK so a minus at the end o the night wouldnt be a surprise and comparing an NHL team to Team Canada.....no comment.

Agreed. I was much happier with 3 scoring lines. Our 4th line could have easily handled itself as the 1 defensive line. The team was playing much better with that too.

Not sure what is going to happen in the playoffs, but considering we are playing like crap and can't score a goal, probably nothing good. Expectations are officially lowered

Umm incase you missed it Coho is pointless with the sabers and his offence had dried up as late with the nucks before we traded him Kass hits fights and has more points than Coho since the trade get over it. Coho's line would have been the weekest link come playoffs and other teams would have attacked it with their best lines whenever possible. Phalsson also has more points than Coho since the trade so your point is mute sir. What we needed was a line we could trod out against other teams top lines that wasn't the kes line now we have that.

Other than the Canucks, there's another team I really like to cheer for. I like the way this other team doesn't run 2 scoring lines, 1 checking line and 1 energy line but instead runs 3-4 scoring lines.

[...]

It's Team Canada if you didn't already figure that out. If you have the talent in your roster to run more than 2 scoring lines, you do it.

Well, I believe that trading Hodgson was fo rthe best, the best for the team and the best for Hodgson.

Taking offensive ability out of a team is not always a bad thing. The Canucks rode Tiger Williams to the finals in 81 - 82. He was a hard hitting, "never say die" kind of guy who's attitude rubbed off on his team meates. Will Kassian do that for the Canucks this year? Perhaps not, but his style of play is more what this team needs going forward than what Hodgson can bring (and this is not a knock on Hodgson).

If you have three scoring lines, who do you rely upon to stop the other guy's top line? If the Sedins are shut down by an opposing team's checking line, and Kesler and company are played even by the other team's second line, who stops their top line?

Do folks honestly expect that Hodgson and company could outplay Datsyuk's line? Hodgson and company might get a goal a game (optimistic, yes), but what good is that if the other guys score three?

Might Hodgson one day be a very effective center in the NHL? Sure, but right now he is "slow" (as in he is average going north/south and he doesn't have lateral quickness. In other words, kind of average at best). He is not a very effective face-off guy, and like other players, he goes into slumps, kind of like the one he was in before the Canucks traded him, and the same one he in which he still is for these last six or seven games with Buffalo. I've also read comments where people have concerns that he is muscled off the puck far too often.

If the Canucks were ever going to run three scoring lines, Kesler would have to be the guy to center the third line. This would mean that the Canucks would have to have a very good center for the second line. They did not have him in Hodgson.

regards,

G.

I dont know if anyone has noticed but since Hodgson has been traded, Kesler has stepped up into his beast mode status. Him and Booth were FLYING out there last night and they didnt get what they deserved. Having Cody out of the line up, enables Kesler to relax and play his game. Thats a big bonus. He was "invisible" for awhile.

I am not worried about the Sedins. They will score a goal and it will be "what slump?" We have some "easier" games coming up, Columbus. The defence wont be nearly as stingy, and the Sedins will break out...

I am not worried about our second place Canucks. At least we can win more than a game in a row, unlike the Bruins right now ha ha

its time for a line shuffle, and rest guys for a few games. Its just tough cause we have to clinch the NW title before we can do so. If we could sit the Sedin for a few nights, call up some guys from the farm to just crash and band, then ice your actual playoff lineup, rested and refreshed to blow out teams for the last 2 games of the seaon, it would do wonders.

the one thing I think has to change, is the 3rd line should be Kassian, Lapierre, and hansen, and Pahlson, Malhotra, Weise for the 4th. Lappy and Kassian are way more effective when they are one the ice, not playing 6 min a night

Guys that need no explanation about what they bring to the team:

Sedin Sedin Burrows

Booth Kesler Higgins

Raymond >>> Hansen

Malhotra Lapierre >>>

So your mad that we went out and got two guys in to play bottom six who have 2 goals and two assists in six games between them, and this is not offense enough for you. .33points a game each.

Suck eggs.

If everyone on the bottom six got a goal and an assist every six games: we would have six goals a series from our secondary players in teh playoffs....i for one would love that!

Kesler offensive chances have really improved since Pahlsson started centering the 3rd line. Seems to me that Pahlsson has the ability of playing against the opposing teams top lines and playing a major role killing penalties both of which free up Kesler quite a bit. It`s similar to Manny last year. Hodgson was a liabilty for Kesler, I think Hodgsons even strength good offensive production was partially a product of playing against 3rd and 4th lines and 3rd defensive pairings. With Kassian, the Canucks have a chance of having a future top 6 power forward, an extremely rare commodity. Good trades GM!

Why do the Canucks insist on taking out skill and going with a more 'conventional' lineup. If you can run 3 scoring lines, you run 3 scoring lines. Hell, if you can run 4 scoring lines then do that! One or two of the scoring lines would also be good defensively of course. The Canucks have one of the best two way forwards in Kesler. By being able to run 3 scoring lines, you constantly keep your opponent countering and defending leaving little time for offense themselves. What would you rather have? 3 lines that can score and 1 solid defensive line? Or 2 lines that can score, 1 solid defensive line and 1 'energy' line?

Downgrading our offense was a mistake. What happens when the Sedins get shut down? Who do we have scoring? Kesler('s line)? Yes. Who else? This is why having Hodgson was such a boon. Picking up Pahlsson was great and all but he gives us the same thing that Malhotra was already supposed to be doing (has the eye injury set him back that much? maybe it has). And moving Hodgson to the wing with Kesler WAS a good option (remember that it was when Kesler played on the wing with Sundin that he started to become the star player he is now.) But now that the Canucks aren't as offensively deep,

I'm not going to rag on Kassian here - I haven't seen him play enough to know what he's fully capable of - but he certainly doesn't put up the points or have the brilliant playmaking ability that Hodgson did. Hopefully Kassian becomes useful by playoff time is all I'll say about that. (Hodgson even made Raymond look good... I hope this trade doesn't come back to bite us. Maybe Kassian will be a star in the future too?)

But our offense - especially the Sedins - have been getting shut down hard lately and the rest of the team needs to pick up the slack. (And the Sedins need to gtfo this slump)

In short, if you can run more than 2 scoring lines, you do it. The other team I love to cheer for so much that runs 3-4 scoring lines? It's Team Canada if you didn't already figure that out. If you have the talent in your roster to run more than 2 scoring lines, you do it.

A shame it's too late...

I pretty much agree.

When the trade happened I said it would come back to bite us in the arse.

I also said the only possible saving grace is if MAG can become a top 4 D. Zack will be a pretty good Power forward but 2nd line is tops for him I think, he doesn't seem to be the sharpest knife in the drawer no where near Cody's level of thinking the game.

Sure hope he proves me wrong and start's scoring goals with Sedin's in the playoffs or in a year or two anyways.

So can MAG be a top 4?

He is steadier than I thought he be, I have only seen him make a couple of mistakes and he skates well enough to cover them up for the most part...time will tell!

Archived