The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Can Someone Post Cody Saying He Wanted To Get Traded?

Guest Gumballthechewy

Right. For you to believe it happened we need to invent a time machine and place hidden video cameras in the office and violate the privacy of the people involved and break the law too!

Sounds like a fabulous idea. Or you could smarten up. Hodgson was asked repeatedly about pressing for more ice time and declined the opportunity (on video, on national television) to respond with a yes or no answer. His agent admitted it. Is that good enough for you? Is the word of Hodgson's agent enough to convince you that you are wrong? No? Well then why start nonsensical topics if you aren't going to take anything short of video of Hodgson asking for a trade when nobody is claiming that he directly asked for a trade in the first place?

There is no point dealing with people who can't see the obvious when its staring them in the face.

I hope you never sit on a jury.

Guest gumballthechewy

There is no evidence because he never asked.

The whole MG or Cody saying "no comment", that's just basic etiquette. No one is gonna run down another player or organization, that's just not classy.

But apparently because both says nothing, it must mean Hodgson is a drama queen... I dunno how people come up with idea. Of course, whatever that makes them sleep better at night.

I still wanna know what happened, around Feb 11th 2012 when some archived fantasy hockey news clips say Hodgson skated on a line with no less than 6 people, in just over ten minutes of icetime, he got a goal off of three shots and then lights out: two shots on net over the next five games...and only one goal and one assist since that day. Oh to be a fly on the wall of every room Cody was in that day.

EDIT: it is my guess that was the day that Cody shot his mouth off, or had his paid mouth shoot off for him, or the day his dad went and had a meeting with the owner...whichever story is close to the truth, that was tthe day that likely eneded Cody's tenure as a Canuck. I have a nagging suspicion though that it might not be just bad relations, I wonder if he didn't get hurt and is hiding it.

Guest gumballthechewy

You either misunderstand or did not read the responses. Not everything that happens between agents and GMs is captured on video. In fact, pretty much nothing that is said between agents and managers or between players and agents is captured on video.

Do you refuse to believe anything unless it is captured on video? If so, you must have a very limited understanding of the world.

Also, the absence of video records does not mean that we can certain, as you seem to be, that nothing happened.

From the comments made by MG, by Hogdson, and by Hogdson camp it seems very likely, although not certain, that the Hodgson camp did request a trade. And, given the logic of the situation, that makes sense. I have no problem with it and continue to like Hodgson. I hope he does well with the Sabres.

Heres an article on the interveiw he did after being traded. I cant find any solid legit sources on the net to post, but during the hot stove on CBC Elliotte Friedman, did say something about a Nashville game and Cody asking for more ice time, something else about his manager asking for more ice time for him, but cant find a copy of it, so take it as you want it. Kinda old news now anyway though.

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/hockey/vancouver-canucks/Cody+Hodgson+stickhandles+around+Canucks+trade+questions+Like+said/6243489/story.html

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2012/02/29/cody-hodgson-met-with-alain-vigneault-about-his-role-two-days-before-trade/

For what its worth now, which is nothing here some info in this long article but as others have said: its pointless conjecture, but I think he did want more ice time, and I think he was and is suffering some soreness which I really suspect we will hear about in the offseason. That is just my thoughts, no video to back it up, lol. here is the article:

Near the end of a long day on twitter for Ritch Winter, Cody Hodgson’s agent, a Vancouver Canucks fan, @scurrie90, sent him this tweet:

“Cody’s Dad made him go through 3 agents til they finally found one that antagonized MG (Mike Gillis) enough that Cody (was) moved.”

Winter (@hockeyagentdad) responded with this:

“Third time luck they say.”

It was the glib low point in a day Winter didn’t do his client any favours. The agent who openly mocks the media for rampant speculation, ironically fueled even more with his revelations about the events that led up to the blockbuster Hodgson trade to Buffalo.

First with a bullet was Winter revealing Hodgson met with Vigneault Saturday about his role with the team. Winter called it a “great meeting.”

Maybe. What it’s not, is common. Mentioning a meeting with the coach about his role two days before he was traded only feeds the wooly mammoth in the room. And that is did Hodgson ask for a trade? Did his camp push the Canucks into their decision to deal Hodgson for Zack Kassian on deadline day?

Winter said only Vigneault and Hodgson know what was said in the meeting. It certainly doesn’t help the optics.

It’s ironic Winter reveals the meeting in the same tweet he says, “I just find speculation fascinating.”

He must.

For most of Wednesday, he was the source of it.

Continuing to stoke the fire, Winter added:

“Now we did ask for more ice time.”

In the meeting two days before the trade deadline? That meeting was about asking for an increased role? Oh, right, that’s pure speculation.

Winter clarified it later with this:

“I discussed icetime on several occassions over 2 years. Never demanded it ever.”

Sometimes, it’s better to say nothing. Let a story die, instead of pumping oxygen into the fire. Hodgson’s ice time was a rager which was finally dying down. By confirming it was an issue, Winter dumps his gasoline on it at the worst possible time. It will make things more difficult for Hodgson Saturday, when he’ll again be asked all about his request for ice time.

When pushed on the topic, Winter says:

“He never made such a request. Why would you assume that.”

Because you mentioned it.

He followed that with:

“how I love the unfounded speculation.”

Good luck making sense of that sequence.

Of course, Winter didn’t stop there. Unwilling to disengage, he added this:

“Cody loved Vancouver, the vanc (sic) fans and the city. Team had different goals than Cody. The trade supports that. But it was a surprise.”

It was vague and open to questioning. How were the goals different? Long term goals, or short term?

Winter has continually stressed Hodgson did not ask for a trade. Maybe he should have left it at that.

“Media (is) trying to fill blogs, airtime, etc. With speculation in 24/7 sports media world 2 c what sticks,” he tweeted.

Oh, the ironing.

The 24/7 sports world will be just fine without Hodgson speculation.

“Speculation just a product of those who r having trouble reading Eng. Its pretty clear,” Winter says.

It seems there are different definitions of clarity. And English.

I keep hearing about how Cody asked for a trade and how he was a snob and whining for more ice time. Can someone post a link or video of him or management for either party saying this? I'm beginning to think it's all jealous rumors by people soured by the trade.

Elliott Friedman of HNIC 30 thoughts...

"2. Spent a lot of time over the past six days researching the Cody Hodgson/Zack Kassian deal. (As mentioned in last week's blog, have a "man-crush" on Hodgson's game.) It's tough to know the exact truth, because so many of the particulars didn't want to talk about it. Here's some of what's out there: First, there was some surprise the Canucks did it, as opponents figured they were going to make Hodgson the centrepiece of a "bigger" deal. (You're going to ask what that means. Can't give you any specifics, other than to say it would probably be for whatever Vancouver decided it needed after the season.)

3. Why did it get done now? When the Canucks were in Nashville, there was some kind of conversation between Hodgson and head coach Alain Vigneault. As reported on Hotstove, I'd heard it was about playing time. And, on a team where Cory Schneider (who is four years older) waits for his opportunity, Vancouver didn't want the distraction in what could be a Stanley Cup season.

4. Equal time: heard from a friend of Hodgson's who told me it was unfair to say that, "since only Hodgson and Vigneault know what was said." That is true, although I stand by my reporting. The same person also took issue with my comments that Hodgson had to tell "people around him to stop ... if you have interference, whether it's family or anybody else, you just have to say 'It's enough.'" Whatever the case, he's got a fantastic opportunity now. Hopefully, he reaches his vast potential.

5. Couple of teams did ask about Hodgson at the deadline. It's been reported that Dallas wanted him in exchange for Steve Ott. Toronto tried, too.

6. Vancouver "targeted" a few clubs that had the kind of player it wanted in exchange. Obviously, Buffalo was one (and Kassian was very high on the list). I believe the others were Carolina, Washington, Florida and one more I can't nail down. Don't know what the Canucks wanted from the Hurricanes. But, almost certain they asked for Brandon Sutter (can't see it, GM Jim Rutherford loves him) and an educated guess is the wanted Capital was young defenceman John Carlson."

Guest gumballthechewy

From everything I've read Cody's agent got him moved not Cody himself, maybe Cody wanted it maybe he didn't, that's what I want to know, not what a sleezy agent has said/done. Chances are Cody wanted to move, but he always seemed nice and spoke about the city and team with praise.

Oh, well, even if he was a douche why are people upset that he's gone? Shouldn't we be happy that a guy like this is out of our system?

From everything I've read Cody's agent got him moved not Cody himself, maybe Cody wanted it maybe he didn't, that's what I want to know, not what a sleezy agent has said/done. Chances are Cody wanted to move, but he always seemed nice and spoke about the city and team with praise.

Oh, well, even if he was a douche why are people upset that he's gone? Shouldn't we be happy that a guy like this is out of our system?

Since some of you here are not accepting what Cody said,his agent said and what Gillis refuses to ever say:

“I discussed icetime on several occasions over 2 years. Never demanded it ever.”

When pushed on the (trade)topic, Winter says:

“He never made such a request. Why would you assume that?”

Since there is continuous denial and confusion regarding what was actually said ,even when the print quotes are given and all you have to do is read it ( Ska Doosh and gumballthechewy ), then wrap your heads around the possibility that Gillis and co. targeted Kassian and they were the party that dumped / traded Cody, while successfully deflecting the blame to Cody's camp with evasive denial followed with silence.

Also realise that Winter and Gillis were two of the biggest names in the sports agent rep hockey world.

Gillis and Winter are both lawyers.Winter responded while Gillis deflected blame and then refused to comment further.

It is not a mystery to figure out which lawyer told the story.One lawyer has.One refuses to comment.

Rich Winter – The Sports Corporation

Ritch Winter is the Founder and CEO of The Sports Corporation, based in Edmonton. Winter represents over 70 NHL’ers including Marian Hossa and Dominik Hasek.

Winter received a law degree from the University of Calgary in 1983. He began his career as a sports agent in the late 1980s in California before returning to Edmonton to launch The Sports Corporation. While in California, Winter worked with sports lawyer, Ted Steinberg whose clients at that time included Eugene Levy and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, among others.

Winter played a role in the downfall of former National Hockey League Players Association Executive Director Alan Eagleson (see above). Along with Herb Pinder and Ron Salcer, Winter helped to lead the campaign that saw Eagleson’s resignation in 1992, and ultimately his conviction for defrauding his hockey players in 1989. In 2007, Winter helped Chris Chelios oust Ted Saskin as NHLPA director following accusations Saskin was monitoring players’ email.

In addition to helping to bring the National Hockey League Players’ Association leadership to task, Winter worked tirelessly at Carl Brewer’s request to help restore retired NHL players pension organizing an effort on behalf of Gordie Howe, Eddie Shack, Bobby Orr, Bobby Hull and others which ultimately resulted in retired players receiving $50 million from the NHL in an Ontario Court decision. Chicago’s Rinkside magazine once referred to him as the game’s “first player agent superstar”.

Archived