The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Can Someone Post Cody Saying He Wanted To Get Traded?

Guest Gumballthechewy

Elliott Friedman of HNIC 30 thoughts...

5. Couple of teams did ask about Hodgson at the deadline.

6. Vancouver "targeted" a few clubs that had the kind of player it wanted in exchange. Obviously, Buffalo was one (and Kassian was very high on the list). I believe the others were Carolina, Washington, Florida and one more I can't nail down. Don't know what the Canucks wanted from the Hurricanes. But, almost certain they asked for Brandon Sutter (can't see it, GM Jim Rutherford loves him) and an educated guess is they wanted Capitals young defenceman John Carlson."

I don't have video of him saying trade me, but I have video of him scoring 15 points in 28 games before this here video posted...and 15 points in the 22 games after that hit, and then 3 points in 20 games inexplicably. I am firing in the dark here, but something is not right in Cody Land, maybe regarding that first big hit as you can see here on youtube...but more likely something else, something that re-agrivated or hurt him new. What happened to him in early February that could cause a guy scoring 15 points in 28, and then 15 more in 22 to go dry as a milked out cow for the last 20 games? Maybe not injury but attitude? My guess is he is hurting and not right physically, we will hear more in the offseason for sure.

Cody's agent is quoted on what transpired.

His agent is whom deals with Gillis on what he wants:

When pushed on the (trade)topic, Winter says:

“He never made such a request. Why would you assume that?”

Gillis refuses to comment.Why can't you accept who has commented and who has not ,Amish? Why?

Cody Hodgson denies he asked Canucks for trade

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2012/02/28/cody-hodgson-denies-he-asked-canucks-for-trade/

'Several of the Canucks were commenting on Cody Hodgson’s “big head” before last night’s Buffalo game. The best drop was David Booth. He was randomly walking down the hall, and a media member said: “Speaking of big heads.”

Booth responded with: “Cody!”

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Provies+Nightly+Awards+Sabres+Canucks/6247878/story.html

nuff said.

Cody's agent is quoted on what transpired.

His agent is whom deals with Gillis on what he wants:

When pushed on the (trade)topic, Winter says:

“He never made such a request. Why would you assume that?”

Gillis refuses to comment.Why can't you accept who has commented and who has not ,Amish? Why?

Cody Hodgson denies he asked Canucks for trade

http://sports.nation...ucks-for-trade/

Then it just makes the Canucks organization look bad by "not believing in him". Plus, it will re-open the whole can of worm about how AV probably wanted him gone, etc. Not something the Canucks want.

Regardless of what either side says, it'll be used as ammo against both the Canucks and Hodgson, so the best reply is "no comment".

Even if the guy did sit down with his Dad and his agent and looked at who was ahead of him (Kes and Henrik) then looked behind him to see Schroeder doing well in the AHL and looking like coming up and then decided to get away, can you blame him?

Maybe he does have a weakness (old injury) who knows? He must have passed the medical. However he is not fast and not all that gritty so I doubt he saw much of a future on the wing.

Personally I think he did the right thing. He made his move at the right time, when if you like, his stock was still in the balance, as let's face it, it could still have gone either way with us, with the advent of Schroeder..........or even Jensen.

For me, although I liked him, I do wonder if he lacked that metre of pace and that bit of grit to make it in either our 1st or 2nd lines. If we don't win the cup this year there will be outcry for at least one and probably two big goal scoring gritty players (one will definitely be a centre). That would not have helped Cody.

So summing up, who knows if he asked for a trade but I think no matter if he did or didn't this could be a good move for him. As for us, I don't think in the long run Cody would have given us what we need and would have been traded anyway, not too far down the line. (For me he never had enough sparkle, enough impact, or enough presence on the ice)

Sabres so far.

19 C CODY HODGSON 7 0 0 0 -1 0 0 0 0 12 0.0

Incidentally he was on the ice for over 21minutes against the Senators and didn't have a shot.

Then it just makes the Canucks organization look bad by "not believing in him". Plus, it will re-open the whole can of worm about how AV probably wanted him gone, etc. Not something the Canucks want.

Regardless of what either side says, it'll be used as ammo against both the Canucks and Hodgson, so the best reply is "no comment".

As for him "asking for ice-time".... name a player that's asking for LESS time? It's a fact that AV tends to cut CH's time, sometimes regardless of what he did or didn't do. A young player wanting more opportunity to prove himself and benefit his club.... how is that bad again? Hodgson probably realizes that the key for success is offensive depth... something AV seems to have trouble grasping, since answer to every solution is: more ice-time for top-6, even if it isn't working.

From everything I've read Cody's agent got him moved not Cody himself, maybe Cody wanted it maybe he didn't, that's what I want to know, not what a sleezy agent has said/done. Chances are Cody wanted to move, but he always seemed nice and spoke about the city and team with praise.

Oh, well, even if he was a douche why are people upset that he's gone? Shouldn't we be happy that a guy like this is out of our system?

It's the opposite.

It's posted by people who accept blind faith; "he's gone he must be the bad guy!" MG is God & we trust him...

People like me, who are soured by the trade, are just calling it a crap trade!

And now other guy's supporting the trade in other posts, are calling for Bitz to be called up to play with the Sedin's? Why trade for Kass & demote Bitz in the first place...

I keep hearing about how Cody asked for a trade and how he was a snob and whining for more ice time. Can someone post a link or video of him or management for either party saying this? I'm beginning to think it's all jealous rumors by people soured by the trade.

Hodgson had no leverage. He can ask, but we've heard no reports of the players calling him out for being a bad influence behind the scene. He led us in scoring for January, and trailed off as AV started experimenting with our 3rd lines identity. But even if he complained behind the scenes, we deserved a better return.

What is clear, is the Canucks over reacted. Was it Winter? Was it that AV was trying to re-establish the 3rd line checking line/role for the line? I would think the latter, particularly considering the trade for Pahlsson. What we needed was a guy like Torres (does not have to be him); cheap and balances physical mismatches. Not Kassian. So lets say Hodgson, was a bit of an odd man out due to Pahlsson, a natural reaction would be to have traded him for something useful?

But we did not get what we needed. Other teams traded pieces far less valuable for guys who could help them more this year. In most cases rentals, but always established veterans. MG's mantra is to get better value by getting guys he thinks he can keep. Here it did not serve us. I am not sold that Kass helps us more now than Bitz, nor are our D problems (or PP) solved with another small left side (where we are stacked) D man. So when reacting, our typically calm, cool & collected GM simply got fleeced?.

http://blogs.theprov...s-before-trade/

For what its worth now, which is nothing here some info in this long article but as others have said: its pointless conjecture, but I think he did want more ice time, and I think he was and is suffering some soreness which I really suspect we will hear about in the offseason. That is just my thoughts, no video to back it up, lol. here is the article:

Hodgson had no leverage. He can ask, but we've heard no reports of the players calling him out for being a bad influence behind the scene. He led us in scoring for January, and trailed off as AV started experimenting with our 3rd lines identity. But even if he complained behind the scenes, we deserved a better return.

What is clear, is the Canucks over reacted. Was it Winter? Was it that AV was trying to re-establish the 3rd line checking line/role for the line? I would think the latter, particularly considering the trade for Pahlsson. What we needed was a guy like Torres (does not have to be him); cheap and balances physical mismatches. Not Kassian. So lets say Hodgson, was a bit of an odd man out due to Pahlsson, a natural reaction would be to have traded him for something useful?

But we did not get what we needed. Other teams traded pieces far less valuable for guys who could help them more this year. In most cases rentals, but always established veterans. MG's mantra is to get better value by getting guys he thinks he can keep. Here it did not serve us. I am not sold that Kass helps us more now than Bitz, nor are our D problems (or PP) solved with another small left side (where we are stacked) D man. So when reacting, our typically calm, cool & collected GM simply got fleeced?.

Archived