The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Trading Luongo Vs Trading Schneider

J.I.A.H.N

Interesting find. I just went over to TSN and looked up the player rankings Lui is ranked 44th over all, for all players and goal tenders playing over 33 games. His score is 76.64. Schneider is in another category, as he has not played 33 games, his ranking when placed into the over all rankings is 9th over all (85.24) Lui, when Cory's category is included would be 55th over all. And just for those naye sayers Sidney Crosby, and Tuukka Rask are both in Cories Category.

I don't think the stats are the bible or anything like that, but it does give you an indication as to what others around the league think of our goalies. And may be a little more objective than ours! I don't think they are pulling these rankings out of their butt.

Just more fuel for the fire!........... But it doesn't rate their value and it does put them into different categories.

The Luongo deal paid him 10 million dollars in his first year at a cap hit of 5.3. Without this contract circumvention there is no way that Luo signs with Van and he is not their goalie. Based on the teams success over the past couple of years I would venture that yes some teams would complain.

The league can block any trade that violates the CBA. The NHLPA would also have something to say as one of their members' contracts would be violated.

You may not have had any trade Wilson article but I'll bet you saw it on TSN? When have you seen TSN talk about trading Luo?

I think the answer is much simpler. The team will keep playing him until they lose confidence in him. Next training camp...the #1 position will be wide open and Schneider can earn the #1 spot if he impresses management enough. If Schneider resigns..he will told he has the opportunity this year to be #1. The question would then be...will Lou want to play the backup role. If he is sitting out a lot...both sides may agree to a trade...or Lou may not be aked to waive his trade clause but be told that the Canucks would honour a trade request if lou decided he wanted to go. There are always ways out !

No doubt Luongo is a great goalie, but I like the consistency with which Schneider plays. He's intelligent, has the skills and focus. He's only going to get better. Because he is young and has all the skill sets his value is higher than that of Luongo's. If Luongo is going to be with us long term I really hope he works on his focus and ability to be in the moment.

IF and I say IF we were ever able to trade Luongo id say this draft is probably the best time. The only team I see him waiving his ntc is to go to Tampa Bay

His family is there, plus they have a good team having an off year. Young talent, and would be in playoff/cup contention almost the whole length of his contract.

Now does MG have the Balls to confront Luo or ask if he would waive, Ive always thought no, BUT he traded a young talented, fan favorite in Hodgson so anything is possible.

I think the playoffs are the pivotal point. If he falters and Schneider comes in and plays well and wins a game or two, he may want to trade Luongo and save the $$ neeeded to re sign schneider, edler

Its a hard choice obviously, but seeing him let in soft goals and when he flops around I just think he is the goalie we need to move

I think these 3 teams would be interested if Luongo was available. However for CBJ, Schneider would make more sense, and I doubt Luongo will waive his NTC to go there. His contract does makes things more complicated. TB will definitely be looking for a goalie in the summer.

CBJ

NJ - If Broduer retires

TB

IF and I say IF we were ever able to trade Luongo id say this draft is probably the best time. The only team I see him waiving his ntc is to go to Tampa Bay

His family is there, plus they have a good team having an off year. Young talent, and would be in playoff/cup contention almost the whole length of his contract.

Now does MG have the Balls to confront Luo or ask if he would waive, Ive always thought no, BUT he traded a young talented, fan favorite in Hodgson so anything is possible.

I think the playoffs are the pivotal point. If he falters and Schneider comes in and plays well and wins a game or two, he may want to trade Luongo and save the $$ neeeded to re sign schneider, edler

Its a hard choice obviously, but seeing him let in soft goals and when he flops around I just think he is the goalie we need to move

Well, my friend, though it might bring some satisfaction to counter some of your points, it seems our debate has run its course. I generally accept that when all that's happening is the combatants making counter-counter-points to counter-points rather than actually presenting new arguments or information.

I'm curious about our two arguments - 1) Whether Luongo can in fact be asked to waive his NTC and 2) Whether the League would likely veto any Luongo trade regardless - and I'll keep my eye open for any helpful information. And perhaps some other members will chime in. In the meantime, I'll go on thinking I'm right, ;).

If NMC's were not an issue then it would be obvious that Schneider would be the guy who is kept. He works for less (even with a new contract coming up), and he has a lot of years left in his career. As such, Schneider would have the greater trade value.

Since there is a NMC clause in place, the discussion is moot.

regards,

G.

I think it's pretty interesting to think about and eventually see what happens with this whole situation. If Schneider is traded and plays well for his new team the pressure on Luongo could be higher than it has ever been in a Canucks uniform. I can only imagine the outcry.

I am still hoping that some of you will give me some ideas as to their worth in players/draft picks/prospects etc. What would a allstar goalie bring in the market place "if" he "could" be traded. I think the "trade Cory" issue has been dealt with. Basically, Cory is worth somewhere about a first and a high end prospect or 2-first rounders, at least that is what I normally read, but what is Lui's worth?

Regards With Thanks

Two things about that:

1) I highly doubt Luongo would waive his NTC to go to a rebuilding - or impoverished - team.

2) Though it is true the disparity between cap hit and salary could be attractive, it's unlikely a rebuilding team would want a goalie who will be ready to retire by the time the team's young core is ready to win. Also, what's the point of having a goalie steal wins on a team that could use high draft picks? It would also be better to give a young, unproven goalie the games necessary for his development.

I do not think the Canucks can ask him to waive his no trade. It would have to be Lou coming forward and saying he would accept being dealt, most likely to a list of teams he would go to, which is what would likely happen if he was informed that Cory will be the #1 man and depending on Lack, or signing someone else Lou would be sent to the minors. I cannot see a NMC not allowing a player to be sent to the minors.

If Lou agreed to be dealt and the Canucks had a deal in place and Lou agreed with the trade would be allowed.

Archived