Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

YSSUP

Racism Against New Tsn Journalists Yesterday

61 posts in this topic

It's funny how TSN has Farhan Lalji (indian) already and John Lu (chinese).

* Not sure about the specifics (generalization).

We have players of all nationalities (well a fair mix).

That's pretty disgusting but about on course on the internet it seems. Try not to take it too personally or harshly because unfortunately racism is still out there, it'[s just more hidden. Whereas before everyone was allowed to harp all of their racist thoughts in public nowadays it's pretty much untolerated so they have to keep those thoughts to themselves in public and they often come out on the internet.

There are also further trends in our society called "institutional" or "covert" racism but I don't feel like going into it because it'll proably just open a new can of worms lol. One example is how in Canada First Nation's people are overcrowding our prisons so dramatically, or African-Americans in the US. Stuff like that that has been going on for so long and still persists.

I watched last night and thought they were funny and did a good job... I didn't even think about their race til this post...

I agree with Weatherwise. This is just a reality of the human condition. It's not something that will change. We just need to recognize it for what it is and understand that it's not specific to one group of peoples.

They would never let their identity be known and say that, just ignore the ignorants. :lol:

And that's one of the many reasons I will never join twitter.

Thanks for the comments everyone really appreciate it great points I agree with everyone of you guys, people are using the internet as a route to show racism because they would not be able to show it face to face, amazing what people still do these days.

These things will continue to happen. People are ignorant and just oppose to a change, in this case ethnic Broadcasters. The whole situation will blow over soon enough and 6 months down the road everyone will be used to the new guys and be done with the complaints.

I'd like to believe that things have gotten somewhat better.

I grew up in an era where racial slurs against those of Indian descent was unfortunately, common. The usual slur was to refer to them as "Hindus", showing that the person using the slur was not only a racist, but an ignorant one at that.

There were a few of us who understood the difference between a Sikh and a Hindu, but in the 70's, there weren't too many like us.

Now I see my kids having Indian friends and turbans or top knots go relatively unnoticed.

Unfortunately, there will always be people who hate. As has already been pointed out, social media gives these racists an outlet for their ignorance with relative anonymity, so the threat of ostracism doesn't deter them from spewing their vitriol. However, I'm confident that these people are much more so in the minority than they were 30 or 40 years ago.

That's pretty disgusting but about on course on the internet it seems. Try not to take it too personally or harshly because unfortunately racism is still out there, it'[s just more hidden. Whereas before everyone was allowed to harp all of their racist thoughts in public nowadays it's pretty much untolerated so they have to keep those thoughts to themselves in public and they often come out on the internet.

I enjoy Nabil...

Haven't really seen Hardeep tho, but I'd assume he's just as good as Nabil.

When people can remain anonymous and hide behind a computer desk, they often disregard any sense of respect, social decency and political correctness, and often reveal themselves as uncivilized, ignorant and juvenile. People feel they can express 'what they feel', though often what they say and think are completely idiotic.

We live in an age when political correctness and courtesy dominate our physical society, but when anonymity results in people becoming savage and barbaric. Discrimination is quelled in society due to public and peer pressure, but it ultimately remains dormant in many people and is only kept within so that nobody stands out in a negative way. People are egocentric in the real world and want to look as perfect as possible in the eyes of others. In today's society, this means people will appear to be tolerant of others, show courtesy and respect to those they dislike, and pretend to be a standout citizen.

When everyone's identity is obscured by such mediums as the internet, people feel they no longer need to abide by the expectations of society, and often express what they feel without thinking twice. When discrimination is finally being removed from our physical society and our face-to-face social interactions, the internet is giving people another route to channel those discriminatory feelings.

I don't doubt xenophobia, homophobia and gender discrimination are rampant among us. We don't see it when there's a camera in front of us because today's society is taught to admire and praise tolerance. People fear being shunned upon. When people can hide their identities, however, the truth becomes evident. It's despicable, but discrimination survives in all capacities in our society. Not everybody is like this; in fact, a lot of people aren't. It's not going to go away though.

When people can remain anonymous and hide behind a computer desk, they often disregard any sense of respect, social decency and political correctness, and often reveal themselves as uncivilized, ignorant and juvenile. People feel they can express 'what they feel', though often what they say and think are completely idiotic.

We live in an age when political correctness and courtesy dominate our physical society, but when anonymity results in people becoming savage and barbaric. Discrimination is quelled in society due to public and peer pressure, but it ultimately remains dormant in many people and is only kept within so that nobody stands out in a negative way. People are egocentric in the real world and want to look as perfect as possible in the eyes of others. In today's society, this means people will appear to be tolerant of others, show courtesy and respect to those they dislike, and pretend to be a standout citizen.

When everyone's identity is obscured by such mediums as the internet, people feel they no longer need to abide by the expectations of society, and often express what they feel without thinking twice. When discrimination is finally being removed from our physical society and our face-to-face social interactions, the internet is giving people another route to channel those discriminatory feelings.

I don't doubt xenophobia, homophobia and gender discrimination are rampant among us. We don't see it when there's a camera in front of us because today's society is taught to admire and praise tolerance. People fear being shunned upon. When people can hide their identities, however, the truth becomes evident. It's despicable, but discrimination survives in all capacities in our society. Not everybody is like this; in fact, a lot of people aren't. It's not going to go away though.

I saw that last night and my first thought was: "cool!". It was good to see some more diversity in Sports News that more closely represents the cultural diversity of Canada. I know the Nabil guy has been with TSN for a little while now, hadn't seen the other guy before though.

There has been so much racism in the past towards black people, and focus on it as a result, that racism towards other visible minorities seem to be more acceptable. It's quite sad.

I for one really love the new additions!

Canada is a diverse country and it would be a huge shame and mistake for a small group of closed minded individuals to make others feel they are not welcome to love the game & be apart of it because of race or not being born here. Representing other demographics of the fan base can only be a good thing. It brings communities and the country closer! I have heard people say stupid stuff like "so and so doesn't want to be Canadian, they just come here and abuse our resources". These same people are probably the ones who don't want to share the game... which sends a message of you don't belong with us and only holds us back.