#1 YSSUP

YSSUP

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 01:13 PM

POPULAR

After last nights sportcenter on TSN twitter blew up with racist remarks towards TSN about their hiring of Nabil Kareem and Hardeep Ahluwalia, I was shocked at the fact that racism is still so big in and around Canada. Tweets were shared to TSN describing peoples feeling towards the show having '2 Pakis' running the show (only one is a pakistani ) other is of hinduism religion, my heart literally dropped and I was disgusted to see all these tweets being sent to twitter #TSN #Sportcenter. I just wanted to get the word out about this about how people are still living in the past and that there still are racist people out there the worst part was people were retweeting the racist tweets to show they supported it. I am a Sikh man myself and I love the sport of hockey and I love watching TSN and I love living in Canada born and raised here. But the fact that I know Im still living around racist people disgusts me. Sorry if i wasted your time with this topic but I just wanted to get this out there.

#2 Guest_The Brown Burrows_*

Guest_The Brown Burrows_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 March 2012 - 01:20 PM

It's funny how TSN has Farhan Lalji (indian) already and John Lu (chinese).

* Not sure about the specifics (generalization).

We have players of all nationalities (well a fair mix).

#3 iLLmAtlc

iLLmAtlc

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 709 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 01:45 PM

That's pretty disgusting but about on course on the internet it seems. Try not to take it too personally or harshly because unfortunately racism is still out there, it'[s just more hidden. Whereas before everyone was allowed to harp all of their racist thoughts in public nowadays it's pretty much untolerated so they have to keep those thoughts to themselves in public and they often come out on the internet.

There are also further trends in our society called "institutional" or "covert" racism but I don't feel like going into it because it'll proably just open a new can of worms lol. One example is how in Canada First Nation's people are overcrowding our prisons so dramatically, or African-Americans in the US. Stuff like that that has been going on for so long and still persists.
Posted Image

#4 bohunter

bohunter

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 782 posts

I watched last night and thought they were funny and did a good job... I didn't even think about their race til this post...
Posted Image

#5 WeatherWise

WeatherWise

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,869 posts

POPULAR

When people can remain anonymous and hide behind a computer desk, they often disregard any sense of respect, social decency and political correctness, and often reveal themselves as uncivilized, ignorant and juvenile. People feel they can express 'what they feel', though often what they say and think are completely idiotic.

We live in an age when political correctness and courtesy dominate our physical society, but when anonymity results in people becoming savage and barbaric. Discrimination is quelled in society due to public and peer pressure, but it ultimately remains dormant in many people and is only kept within so that nobody stands out in a negative way. People are egocentric in the real world and want to look as perfect as possible in the eyes of others. In today's society, this means people will appear to be tolerant of others, show courtesy and respect to those they dislike, and pretend to be a standout citizen.

When everyone's identity is obscured by such mediums as the internet, people feel they no longer need to abide by the expectations of society, and often express what they feel without thinking twice. When discrimination is finally being removed from our physical society and our face-to-face social interactions, the internet is giving people another route to channel those discriminatory feelings.

I don't doubt xenophobia, homophobia and gender discrimination are rampant among us. We don't see it when there's a camera in front of us because today's society is taught to admire and praise tolerance. People fear being shunned upon. When people can hide their identities, however, the truth becomes evident. It's despicable, but discrimination survives in all capacities in our society. Not everybody is like this; in fact, a lot of people aren't. It's not going to go away though.

Edited by WeatherWise, 12 March 2012 - 02:06 PM.

The greatest segue into a weather segment.

#6 hockeyfan87

hockeyfan87

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 01:58 PM

I agree with Weatherwise. This is just a reality of the human condition. It's not something that will change. We just need to recognize it for what it is and understand that it's not specific to one group of peoples.

#7 NightHawkSniper

NightHawkSniper

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,320 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 02:04 PM

They would never let their identity be known and say that, just ignore the ignorants. :lol:

5577747361_37d631069c_m.jpg

#8 smith80

smith80

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 02:07 PM

And that's one of the many reasons I will never join twitter.
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#9 smith80

smith80

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 02:07 PM

Oops, double post

Edited by smith80, 12 March 2012 - 02:08 PM.

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#10 YSSUP

YSSUP

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 02:21 PM

Thanks for the comments everyone really appreciate it great points I agree with everyone of you guys, people are using the internet as a route to show racism because they would not be able to show it face to face, amazing what people still do these days.

#11 Spitfire_Spiky

Spitfire_Spiky

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 02:26 PM

These things will continue to happen. People are ignorant and just oppose to a change, in this case ethnic Broadcasters. The whole situation will blow over soon enough and 6 months down the road everyone will be used to the new guys and be done with the complaints.

Edited by Spitfire_Spiky, 12 March 2012 - 02:27 PM.

Mess with the Best, Die like the Rest

#12 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 02:45 PM

I'd like to believe that things have gotten somewhat better.

I grew up in an era where racial slurs against those of Indian descent was unfortunately, common. The usual slur was to refer to them as "Hindus", showing that the person using the slur was not only a racist, but an ignorant one at that.

There were a few of us who understood the difference between a Sikh and a Hindu, but in the 70's, there weren't too many like us.

Now I see my kids having Indian friends and turbans or top knots go relatively unnoticed.

Unfortunately, there will always be people who hate. As has already been pointed out, social media gives these racists an outlet for their ignorance with relative anonymity, so the threat of ostracism doesn't deter them from spewing their vitriol. However, I'm confident that these people are much more so in the minority than they were 30 or 40 years ago.
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#13 Fakename70

Fakename70

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 825 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 02:53 PM

That's pretty disgusting but about on course on the internet it seems. Try not to take it too personally or harshly because unfortunately racism is still out there, it'[s just more hidden. Whereas before everyone was allowed to harp all of their racist thoughts in public nowadays it's pretty much untolerated so they have to keep those thoughts to themselves in public and they often come out on the internet.

Seems to me that it's been the opposite. The internet has given the racists the opportunity to hide behind the anonymity of the wild wild web while they spew their garbage. Especially in the states, where, according to the racists, it's the BLACKS who are the "real racists". I never heard of such nonsense prior to the internet. The racists all seem so much bolder to me now because they haven't got the you-know-whats to say anything face-to-face. And, because of the internet, they don't even have to anymore. So, they all talk like they're 6'6" tall and no one has to answer for anything they say because it's protected free speech and no one ever knows who they are anyway.

Similar to bloggers.

#14 Canuckfan_downunder

Canuckfan_downunder

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 03:06 PM

If they know their sport then who cares
QUOTE (diamonddog01 @ Oct 6 2008, 09:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
With this post you're now in the running for CDC's coveted "Down Syndrome Poster of the Year Award", congratulations.

QUOTE (Flinch @ Sep 24 2007, 02:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Brookbank, on the other hand, was only good for beating the living crap out of worthless Polish wife-beating pieces of trash (Oliwa, read up on him if you don't understand...)

#15 ChenWei91

ChenWei91

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,400 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 04:17 PM

I enjoy Nabil...

Haven't really seen Hardeep tho, but I'd assume he's just as good as Nabil.

(>'-')>Posted Image<('-'<)

#16 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,042 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 04:38 PM

When people can remain anonymous and hide behind a computer desk, they often disregard any sense of respect, social decency and political correctness, and often reveal themselves as uncivilized, ignorant and juvenile. People feel they can express 'what they feel', though often what they say and think are completely idiotic.

We live in an age when political correctness and courtesy dominate our physical society, but when anonymity results in people becoming savage and barbaric. Discrimination is quelled in society due to public and peer pressure, but it ultimately remains dormant in many people and is only kept within so that nobody stands out in a negative way. People are egocentric in the real world and want to look as perfect as possible in the eyes of others. In today's society, this means people will appear to be tolerant of others, show courtesy and respect to those they dislike, and pretend to be a standout citizen.

When everyone's identity is obscured by such mediums as the internet, people feel they no longer need to abide by the expectations of society, and often express what they feel without thinking twice. When discrimination is finally being removed from our physical society and our face-to-face social interactions, the internet is giving people another route to channel those discriminatory feelings.

I don't doubt xenophobia, homophobia and gender discrimination are rampant among us. We don't see it when there's a camera in front of us because today's society is taught to admire and praise tolerance. People fear being shunned upon. When people can hide their identities, however, the truth becomes evident. It's despicable, but discrimination survives in all capacities in our society. Not everybody is like this; in fact, a lot of people aren't. It's not going to go away though.

this is just a cop out , and another example of how people do not want to take responsibility for their actions in today's society , it is always some one else's fault ,especially their failings .racism is 1 part fear ,2 parts ignorance and one whacking great dose of stupidity

The Real war is not between the east and the west. The real war is between intelligent and stupid people.

Marjane Satrapi

tony-abbott-and-stephen-harper-custom-da

That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons that history has to teach.

Aldous Huxley.

#17 c-a-n-u-c-k-s

c-a-n-u-c-k-s

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,650 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 07:53 PM

slow hand clap sir.
i make music - here it is - and run a label & musician community - sectionz [savant, mr.bill, katfyr, sirensceol, virtual riot, kaster etc....] (mainly edm)

#18 marleau_12

marleau_12

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,286 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 08:23 PM

Lots of racism towards Subban too.
Posted Image

#19 Champions of Nothing

Champions of Nothing

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,961 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 08:29 PM

I saw that last night and my first thought was: "cool!". It was good to see some more diversity in Sports News that more closely represents the cultural diversity of Canada. I know the Nabil guy has been with TSN for a little while now, hadn't seen the other guy before though.

There has been so much racism in the past towards black people, and focus on it as a result, that racism towards other visible minorities seem to be more acceptable. It's quite sad.

Posted ImagePosted Image
Sig by Ranyart. FEEL FREE TO USE EITHER!

VOTE FOR EDLER!

And might as well vote for Daniel, Henrik, Kesler, Luongo and..... I guess Aaron Rome?

#20 Milk Hot Dog

Milk Hot Dog

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 08:58 PM

I for one really love the new additions!

Canada is a diverse country and it would be a huge shame and mistake for a small group of closed minded individuals to make others feel they are not welcome to love the game & be apart of it because of race or not being born here. Representing other demographics of the fan base can only be a good thing. It brings communities and the country closer! I have heard people say stupid stuff like "so and so doesn't want to be Canadian, they just come here and abuse our resources". These same people are probably the ones who don't want to share the game... which sends a message of you don't belong with us and only holds us back.
Nobody beats our Canucks' meat !

I don't typically make New Year's Resolutions, but the one thing I want to accomplish in 2012, aka the year of the MILK HOT DOG, is to ARREST SOMEONE. - Kevin WOLVERINE Bieksa (BEE-ecks-ah)

#21 Jacare

Jacare

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 02:09 AM

im afraid im going to have to disagree with you on the anonymity front. it has nothing to do with "hiding behind" things. most of the rascist people i've met are quite upfront about it. we still have neo nazi marches in alberta, and blatant racism in the south of the united states, The westboro baptist church are very vocal, there is caste related discrimintion in the indo canadian community, shia vs suni in muslim community, mandarin vs cantonese discrimination in the chinese community, aswell as anglo vs francophone issues, and the rascism and discrimination that the entire country holds for first nations trumps them all, statisically they are our black people. all of this is quite out in the open. thats just the way old people are and will be until they die. the youth, by and large, do not hold those notions provided they've been through the education system. to the youth it has nothing to do with politcal correctness, its simply wrong.

what you've misunderstood is the internet hasn't provided racists a sheild, what its done is provide them with a community that trancends borders, meaning that they can connect with other racists all around the country/world and then get together to spam messageboards, news sites, twitter feeds, do racist things with other racists etc. to make it appear as though their ideas are more prevalent than they really are. its a well documented tactic. its the same basic principle that has alllowed those with rare diseases to find friends who are going through the same things they are, only instead of MS its racism, in our case it happens to be the canucks.

you make the argument that fear drives the majority of the country to hide their inner racist out of the fear for retaliation and i think thats complete nonsense. nonsense in the same way that some christians proposition that all morality comes from the bible and that without it we would all be savages. admitting in the process that the only thing keeping them from raping, purging and murdering is the invisible threat of eternal hellfire. this is not a problem for educated people, they don't harbour those feelings of racism because they know and feel there is something inherently wrong about discrimination. that slavery is an abomination and that the residential school system was an atrocity.

Edited by Jacare, 13 March 2012 - 02:13 AM.

#22 ruletherink

ruletherink

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 12:49 PM

I am a Sikh man myself

Nitpicking here, but you should be aware then that you're confusing religion with nationality. They could both be of Pakistani background and yet follow different religions (muslim/hinduism/sikhism/jainism/etc)....

To add to the conversation, I wonder how much of the comments were just masking the annoyance in watching new anchors. Sometimes ppl just hate change, and unfortunately used terrible wording/judgement in expressing it. I know I still long for the days of Rodsky and Dutch, JVH and Teresa Hergert anchoring 'Sportsdesk'.
Posted Image
[a href="http://www.geekandproud.net/terror2/"][img alt="Terror Alert Level" border="0" src="http://www.geekandproud.net/terror2/terror.jpg" /] [/a]  

#23 Edler0023

Edler0023

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,024 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 01:24 PM

Nitpicking here, but you should be aware then that you're confusing religion with nationality. They could both be of Pakistani background and yet follow different religions (muslim/hinduism/sikhism/jainism/etc)....

Their names give away their religion. Nabil Kareem is a Muslim name (could be Indian or Pakistani, but Muslim) and Hardeep Ahluwalia is a Sikh name.

#24 Wolfman Jack

Wolfman Jack

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,460 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 02:47 PM

After last nights sportcenter on TSN twitter blew up with racist remarks towards TSN about their hiring of Nabil Kareem and Hardeep Ahluwalia, I was shocked at the fact that racism is still so big in and around Canada. Tweets were shared to TSN describing peoples feeling towards the show having '2 Pakis' running the show (only one is a pakistani ) other is of hinduism religion, my heart literally dropped and I was disgusted to see all these tweets being sent to twitter #TSN #Sportcenter. I just wanted to get the word out about this about how people are still living in the past and that there still are racist people out there the worst part was people were retweeting the racist tweets to show they supported it. I am a Sikh man myself and I love the sport of hockey and I love watching TSN and I love living in Canada born and raised here. But the fact that I know Im still living around racist people disgusts me. Sorry if i wasted your time with this topic but I just wanted to get this out there.

I'd rather listen to "2 Pakis" who know what they are talking about than listen to 2 idiots like Jay Onrait and Dan O'toole.
Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction.
Blaise Pascal

#25 ruletherink

ruletherink

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 02:48 PM

Their names give away their religion. Nabil Kareem is a Muslim name (could be Indian or Pakistani, but Muslim) and Hardeep Ahluwalia is a Sikh name.

Most likely. Still doesn't imply that they could both be "paki's"...and I mean that in a geographical/origin sense, not a put-down.
Posted Image
[a href="http://www.geekandproud.net/terror2/"][img alt="Terror Alert Level" border="0" src="http://www.geekandproud.net/terror2/terror.jpg" /] [/a]  

#26 KING ALBERTS

KING ALBERTS

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,259 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 03:10 PM

this isnt news
Posted ImagePosted Image

i fel off the banwagon and hit my hed on a rok

#27 Edler0023

Edler0023

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,024 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 04:25 PM

Most likely. Still doesn't imply that they could both be "paki's"...and I mean that in a geographical/origin sense, not a put-down.

You're correct, though sometimes you can tell if a Muslim is from Pak or India by their last name if you regionally recognize it, kind of hard to explain ... Lol. There are a lot of Sikhs in Pakistan too, but majority of them haven't immigrated to the West. Racism is pointless.

#28 Pimp C

Pimp C

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 03:52 AM

Hardeep mere chachay da munda

#29 Jai604

Jai604

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,036 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 04:38 AM

The racists can go be racist on the internet, while the rest of us will happily accept, explore, and enjoy what each culture has to offer.

I don't get so upset at racists as I pity them, in a way. They're closing themselves off from so much the world has to offer.

Of course, living in Vancouver, most of the time, the racism isn't blatantly obvious, so we have it good here. Understandably the attitude I have does not translate so well in other places where minorities do have to deal with blatant racism on a daily basis.

RIP LB RR PD

#30 Wolfman Jack

Wolfman Jack

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,460 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 04:49 AM

Lots of racism towards Subban too.

Subban has a big mouth and brings a lot of it onto himself.
Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction.
Blaise Pascal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.