Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

YSSUP

Racism Against New Tsn Journalists Yesterday

60 posts in this topic

I think people were just pissed Kate and Jennifer or Natasha weren't hosting.

I was.

Looks like things got ugly again on Tuesday night. Good on TSN to show their support.

http://www.tsn.ca/toronto/story/?id=416459

TSN SUPPORTS SPORTSCENTRE HOSTS AFTER SOCIAL MEDIA BACKLASH

TSN responded publicly on Wednesday to racist messages targeted at SportsCentre hosts Gurdeep Ahluwalia and Nabil Karim, strongly supporting both on-air personalities along with the network's long-standing commitment to having the best talent on its multiple platforms.

"In this day and age, it's unfortunate we continue to witness examples of ignorance and intolerance on social media," said Stewart Johnston, President of TSN. "Some, not all, of the comments posted on Twitter about Nabil and Gurdeep, spoke to the worst of social media. It's noteworthy and gratifying, however, that there was significant and rapid pushback on Twitter. Nabil and Gurdeep are two accomplished broadcasters and our viewers can expect to see lots more of them on TSN."

There was considerable backlash on Twitter as numerous racist tweets appeared after Gurdeep and Nabil hosted the late night edition of SportsCentre together on Tuesday night.

Nabil has been a mainstay on SportsCentre as anchor and reporter since December of 2011 after covering a number of major sporting events for the CBC including the 2011 Stanley Cup Final, the 2010 FIFA World Cup and the 2010 Commonwealth Games.

"With the wonders of Twitter you can re-tweet and things just go viral," he said. "But I should mention this and this is really important ... there were a lot of positive messages and I've had an overflow - and I'm sure Gurdeep does too - of positive messages on Twitter and I've been getting them all day."

Gurdeep, a reporter and anchor for both TSN SportsCentre and Toronto's CP24 news channel, began his career in production positions with TSN, The Score and The Hockey News. In 2009, he was named "Favourite TV Personality" at the Masala! Mehndi! Masti's People's Choice Awards. He was also named to the National Post's Worthy 30 list in 2012.

"The way it sort of changed throughout the day was sort of switching over from negative to positive," he said. "And in a way Twitter polices itself, and a lot of people took it upon themselves to jump on the folks who said something negative or racist and correct it that way. There were certainly a lot of good messages and support out there."

SportsCentre, the top sports news show in Canada, has been an integral part of TSN's programming since the network first launched in 1984.

Everyone is racist... Get over it.

If you want to know about racism, ethnicism, sexism, and religous intollerance, then travel the world. Particullarly Asia, Africa, and the Middle East.

There you will find chronic poverty, malnutrition and starvation, undrinkable water, sewers in streets, and rampant diseases and violence against some groups, while other groups are clean,happy, well fed, and employed.

Why focus on a few idiots on twitter, when you live in the best country in the world?

There is no more racially accepting, culturally diverse and religouslly tolerant nation on Earth than Canada, and we should all be proud to be Canadians.

There's your next username, Banned....

...... Honky Cracker....

And that's one of the many reasons I will never join twitter.

I bet you those idiots who post this stuff love going for Indian, Chinese, Thai food lol...guess they'd never have the oppty to eat those wonderful types of cuisine if those 'people' didn't come here lol...

Not to mention, these same racists argue that people of other countries don't integrate, yet here they are, talking hockey and sports as experts and now its a problem lol..

Ignorance will never change other than through someone educating themself, traveling the world, opening their mind and through meeting people of other cultures. Only then does an ignorant person realize, human beings are all the same...

I actually thought Nabil and Hardeep had a helluva first broadcast. They seemed to exhibit a nice working chemistry, with an easy, good natured banter, solid sports knowledge and a deep mastery of the sports cliche.

These fellas aren't going anywhere. Hardeep and Nabil will be TSN's next great talking head tandem, you heard it here first!

If you don't think most of the criticism he's received --- particularly in online message boards, both moderated and non-moderated --- has been race-related, you're being incredibly naive.

You're the one being naive, some is racist, he could donate 90% of his salary to charity to charity and spend every waking hour helping in a children's hospital and a few idiots would still find a reason to hate, but that is a tiny minority, much of the perceived racism is backlash against his attitude, notice how minorities with attitude (Subban, Kane, Tony McCegny) get flak while lower key guys like Fuhr, Iginla, Buf don't? I doubt he has ever faced REAL racism race hatred like Mohammud Ali, or Jackie Robinson faced, I think a lot of minorities are far too quick to throw out the race card whenever something doesn't go their way.

You're the one being naive, some is racist, he could donate 90% of his salary to charity to charity and spend every waking hour helping in a children's hospital and a few idiots would still find a reason to hate, but that is a tiny minority, much of the perceived racism is backlash against his attitude, notice how minorities with attitude (Subban, Kane, Tony McCegny) get flak while lower key guys like Fuhr, Iginla, Buf don't? I doubt he has ever faced REAL racism race hatred like Mohammud Ali, or Jackie Robinson faced, I think a lot of minorities are far too quick to throw out the race card whenever something doesn't go their way.

So true. If whites in Canada feel that minorities here are treated poorly then they should get out more. Being white I have not felt particularly welcome in areas in SE Asia. Easy for me to shrug and move on, it isn't for others.

It is my experience that racism is used on both sides of the equation to gain advantage for the groups involved. When you drill down you usually find a economic rationale or perceived economic rationale. When the tribe is threatened most close in for protection.

I find the ultimate irony in those that quote how many black slaves existed in America during their Revolutionary War. The number of white slaves is never discussed.

I'd rather listen to "2 Pakis" who know what they are talking about than listen to 2 idiots like Jay Onrait and Dan O'toole.

There's a study out there showing that people will often say things online but not say those same things in public. Then again a study wasn't needed to know that.

Point being there's A LOT of racists and intolerant people in general out there hiding in the closet of intolerance.

After last nights sportcenter on TSN twitter blew up with racist remarks towards TSN about their hiring of Nabil Kareem and Hardeep Ahluwalia, I was shocked at the fact that racism is still so big in and around Canada. Tweets were shared to TSN describing peoples feeling towards the show having '2 Pakis' running the show (only one is a pakistani ) other is of hinduism religion, my heart literally dropped and I was disgusted to see all these tweets being sent to twitter #TSN #Sportcenter. I just wanted to get the word out about this about how people are still living in the past and that there still are racist people out there the worst part was people were retweeting the racist tweets to show they supported it. I am a Sikh man myself and I love the sport of hockey and I love watching TSN and I love living in Canada born and raised here. But the fact that I know Im still living around racist people disgusts me. Sorry if i wasted your time with this topic but I just wanted to get this out there.

I agree with all that you say. But to nitpick Hindu is not a race.