60 replies to this topic

#31 Hotdawg

Hotdawg

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,096 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 10:51 AM

If you want to know about racism, ethnicism, sexism, and religous intollerance, then travel the world. Particullarly Asia, Africa, and the Middle East.
There you will find chronic poverty, malnutrition and starvation, undrinkable water, sewers in streets, and rampant diseases and violence against some groups, while other groups are clean,happy, well fed, and employed.
Why focus on a few idiots on twitter, when you live in the best country in the world?
There is no more racially accepting, culturally diverse and religouslly tolerant nation on Earth than Canada, and we should all be proud to be Canadians.

#32 Lewah

Lewah

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,121 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 10:51 AM

I was more surprised with how young they were. I barely noticed their ethnicity because I figure no white guy is going to work hard enough to get the gig with so many Asians competing.

It pretty odd that in North America differences in ethnicity are mostly based on skin colour, while in most countries its based on the most minimal differences, by North American standards (i.e Rwanada and Serbia).

Edited by Lewah, 14 March 2012 - 10:53 AM.

muskit blau

#33 Comrade

Comrade

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 11:27 AM

Idiots on twitter will be idiots, no changing that.

#34 Newsflash

Newsflash

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,246 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 12:25 PM

Subban has a big mouth and brings a lot of it onto himself.

WTF? There should be no excuse, ever, for racism.

Wow.

Buddy I called this EXACT situtation on here two years ago and was flamed, so I guess I have a bit of hockey knowledge, not to mention the 4 years I played in the OHL idiot.

The conspiracy theories that used to be against Lateralus:
Puberty, life, movie theaters, movie theaters that frown upon you pulling it out, movie theaters that frown upon you pulling it out during a children's movie, Toy Story 3, Pixar, who ever decided to make Woody so damn attractive, a job, his mothers basement, being 40, being 40 five years ago, dogs who can out run him, all dogs, the Olympic committee, Truth, Fact, Honesty, Logic, Newsflash, a father figure who was there to see him learn to ride his first bike, bikes,

#35 Banned01

Banned01

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 12:39 PM

I think it is amazing that someone even raises this as an issue, it really goes to show how amazing Canada is if the biggest racial issue that can be found is a few random twitter - tweets.

Try the American south and as others have mentioned 90% of the world which finds a reason to discriminate against each other for any number of imagined reasons from language, the untouchable classes in India, to the vast random bizarreness of religious differences that lead to violence whether it is Sikh vs whatever or Jews and Muslims or Protestants and Catholics in Ireland.

Canada is one of the best nations in the world on this front yet will it ever be perfect? Impossible, lets hope one day the rest of the world actually catches up to the point where a young person in India is so shocked and stunned by a Twitter Tweet that they go out and start a thread in a message board with amazement that people exist who will tweet nasty words about different religious factions in India.

The day the rest of the world gets to that level and puts away violence and discrimination will be amazing, we certainly will never live to see it.

There is no perfect world...

Edited by Banned_for_truth, 14 March 2012 - 12:41 PM.

#36 terrible.dee

terrible.dee

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 12:41 PM

Shutdup whitey!

#37 Banned01

Banned01

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 12:45 PM

Shutdup whitey!

I prefer to be called Cracker or Honky thanks…

Edited by Banned_for_truth, 14 March 2012 - 12:45 PM.

#38 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,262 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 01:11 PM

I prefer to be called Cracker or Honky thanks…

There's your next username, Banned....

...... Honky Cracker....
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#39 AllHailSmyl

AllHailSmyl

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,686 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 01:38 PM

I noticed it when I watched, but just thinking "oh, random, two brown guys are hosting Sportscentre tonight" in more of a you don't see that every day thinking.

Sad to hear people took it the wrong way. Thought they did a great job, obviously TSN was trying something new with it's late night weekend show.

By the way learn how to spell SHIRIKOV who is this shirakov

Amazingly on his first shift Kassian would have had a breakaway if Kesler knew how to pass. And he still got switched with Weiss. And note it is "Weiss" not "Wise".

#40 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,858 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 02:36 PM

Darren Pang responded: "Our two new hosts should be respected, as they do everything on-camera, off-camera, the white way."

He then had a special on tolerance, including an interview with an albino Coyotes fan.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#41 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,945 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 02:42 PM

Intolerance should be suppressed at all costs.

TOML
Posted Image

#42 Losing With Pride

Losing With Pride

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,716 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 02:58 PM

I think people were just pissed Kate and Jennifer or Natasha weren't hosting.

I was.

#43 Fakename70

Fakename70

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 08:53 PM

If you don't think most of the criticism he's received --- particularly in online message boards, both moderated and non-moderated --- has been race-related, you're being incredibly naive.

#44 Froggy Fresh

Froggy Fresh

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,928 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 05:40 AM

Looks like things got ugly again on Tuesday night. Good on TSN to show their support.

http://www.tsn.ca/to...tory/?id=416459

TSN SUPPORTS SPORTSCENTRE HOSTS AFTER SOCIAL MEDIA BACKLASH

TSN responded publicly on Wednesday to racist messages targeted at SportsCentre hosts Gurdeep Ahluwalia and Nabil Karim, strongly supporting both on-air personalities along with the network's long-standing commitment to having the best talent on its multiple platforms.

"In this day and age, it's unfortunate we continue to witness examples of ignorance and intolerance on social media," said Stewart Johnston, President of TSN. "Some, not all, of the comments posted on Twitter about Nabil and Gurdeep, spoke to the worst of social media. It's noteworthy and gratifying, however, that there was significant and rapid pushback on Twitter. Nabil and Gurdeep are two accomplished broadcasters and our viewers can expect to see lots more of them on TSN."

There was considerable backlash on Twitter as numerous racist tweets appeared after Gurdeep and Nabil hosted the late night edition of SportsCentre together on Tuesday night.

Nabil has been a mainstay on SportsCentre as anchor and reporter since December of 2011 after covering a number of major sporting events for the CBC including the 2011 Stanley Cup Final, the 2010 FIFA World Cup and the 2010 Commonwealth Games.

"With the wonders of Twitter you can re-tweet and things just go viral," he said. "But I should mention this and this is really important ... there were a lot of positive messages and I've had an overflow - and I'm sure Gurdeep does too - of positive messages on Twitter and I've been getting them all day."

Gurdeep, a reporter and anchor for both TSN SportsCentre and Toronto's CP24 news channel, began his career in production positions with TSN, The Score and The Hockey News. In 2009, he was named "Favourite TV Personality" at the Masala! Mehndi! Masti's People's Choice Awards. He was also named to the National Post's Worthy 30 list in 2012.

"The way it sort of changed throughout the day was sort of switching over from negative to positive," he said. "And in a way Twitter polices itself, and a lot of people took it upon themselves to jump on the folks who said something negative or racist and correct it that way. There were certainly a lot of good messages and support out there."

SportsCentre, the top sports news show in Canada, has been an integral part of TSN's programming since the network first launched in 1984.

Posted Image

Credit to (>'-')> for the amazing sig!

#45 John.Tallhouse

John.Tallhouse

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 05:57 AM

Everyone is racist... Get over it.
Posted Image

#46 Monty

Monty

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,712 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:48 AM

Everyone is racist... Get over it.

Not true. But nice try being edgy.

Can you imagine drowning AT a KK Rev concert?

i'm pretty sure that's how zombies are born.

#47 Boudrias

Boudrias

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,160 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:15 AM

If you want to know about racism, ethnicism, sexism, and religous intollerance, then travel the world. Particullarly Asia, Africa, and the Middle East.
There you will find chronic poverty, malnutrition and starvation, undrinkable water, sewers in streets, and rampant diseases and violence against some groups, while other groups are clean,happy, well fed, and employed.
Why focus on a few idiots on twitter, when you live in the best country in the world?
There is no more racially accepting, culturally diverse and religouslly tolerant nation on Earth than Canada, and we should all be proud to be Canadians.

So true. If whites in Canada feel that minorities here are treated poorly then they should get out more. Being white I have not felt particularly welcome in areas in SE Asia. Easy for me to shrug and move on, it isn't for others.

It is my experience that racism is used on both sides of the equation to gain advantage for the groups involved. When you drill down you usually find a economic rationale or perceived economic rationale. When the tribe is threatened most close in for protection.

I find the ultimate irony in those that quote how many black slaves existed in America during their Revolutionary War. The number of white slaves is never discussed.

#48 stawns

stawns

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,895 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 04:10 PM

There's your next username, Banned....

...... Honky Cracker....

Reminds of a SNL skit with Richard Pryor and Chevy Chase

.........dead honky

Edited by stawns, 21 February 2013 - 04:13 PM.

#49 rb4u

rb4u

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 07:39 AM

And that's one of the many reasons I will never join twitter.

Same here. Might also be time to consider limiting commentary rights of unverified accounts (ie you gotta sign up with verified name and address else you can only follow twitter accounts but not comment).

#50 BuretoMogilny

BuretoMogilny

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 02:26 AM

I bet you those idiots who post this stuff love going for Indian, Chinese, Thai food lol...guess they'd never have the oppty to eat those wonderful types of cuisine if those 'people' didn't come here lol...

Not to mention, these same racists argue that people of other countries don't integrate, yet here they are, talking hockey and sports as experts and now its a problem lol..

Ignorance will never change other than through someone educating themself, traveling the world, opening their mind and through meeting people of other cultures. Only then does an ignorant person realize, human beings are all the same...

#51 Salmonberries

Salmonberries

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,572 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 03:39 AM

I actually thought Nabil and Hardeep had a helluva first broadcast. They seemed to exhibit a nice working chemistry, with an easy, good natured banter, solid sports knowledge and a deep mastery of the sports cliche.

These fellas aren't going anywhere. Hardeep and Nabil will be TSN's next great talking head tandem, you heard it here first!

th_1435408476_c985b0ec75_zps489544ad.jpg

#52 Wolfman Jack

Wolfman Jack

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,481 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 05:23 AM

If you don't think most of the criticism he's received --- particularly in online message boards, both moderated and non-moderated --- has been race-related, you're being incredibly naive.

You're the one being naive, some is racist, he could donate 90% of his salary to charity to charity and spend every waking hour helping in a children's hospital and a few idiots would still find a reason to hate, but that is a tiny minority, much of the perceived racism is backlash against his attitude, notice how minorities with attitude (Subban, Kane, Tony McCegny) get flak while lower key guys like Fuhr, Iginla, Buf don't? I doubt he has ever faced REAL racism race hatred like Mohammud Ali, or Jackie Robinson faced, I think a lot of minorities are far too quick to throw out the race card whenever something doesn't go their way.
Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction.
Blaise Pascal

#53 bigpush

bigpush

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:33 AM

You're the one being naive, some is racist, he could donate 90% of his salary to charity to charity and spend every waking hour helping in a children's hospital and a few idiots would still find a reason to hate, but that is a tiny minority, much of the perceived racism is backlash against his attitude, notice how minorities with attitude (Subban, Kane, Tony McCegny) get flak while lower key guys like Fuhr, Iginla, Buf don't? I doubt he has ever faced REAL racism race hatred like Mohammud Ali, or Jackie Robinson faced, I think a lot of minorities are far too quick to throw out the race card whenever something doesn't go their way.

So if you are a minority and want to be respected you need to be low key ?Subban has as much right to act how he wishes just as Luongo does but if Luongo is outspoken it is entertaining but Subban is asking for it.

#54 Fakename70

Fakename70

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 02:45 PM

PLEASE explain to me how, after 43 years on this planet, I'm "being naive" with regards to the issue of race? I'd REALLY love to hear your answer to that one.

Second, notice how I specifically singled out the online idiots in my comment from a year ago that you responded to. You know, those same idiots who, for example, took to the wild wild web last season after Joel Ward sent the Bruins home in the playoffs? Do you really believe, had it been Brooks Laich who scored that series-ending goal, that he would've been the target of the same racially-loaded comments online that Ward was? Am I still "being naive?"

Lastly, exactly what "attitude" of Subban's are you talking about? The kid's got a passion for the game that all hockey fans should be proud of. And, since you mentioned "backlash", remember all the crying the self-proclaimed purists did when he celebrated his GWG at Bell Centre a season or 2 ago? How they all complained that he didn't first go looking for his teammates but instead went for a knuckle-scrape or whatever it is that he did? Where are all the complaints when Daniel Briere does it when he scores a goal, whether it's a GW or not? And, I couldn't help but notice that after the hoopla over Subban's GWG celebration, Cam Fowler had a similar experience on the road where he had his own personal GWG celebration before seeking out his teammates, yet there was no outcry there over that one. Hmm, I wonder why...

So, if I understand your ridiculous comment correctly, black players must ''act a certain way" that is approved by whites in order to be fully accepted by them? And, what, in your view, is "REAL racism" anyway? You know, the kind that you doubt Subban has ever faced.

I think a lot of non-minorities (caucasians) are quick to throw out the reverse racism card or the "stop-crying-already" card when minorities (blacks) merely point out what it is that we STILL have to put up with in the 21st century. As if we're ''asking for it" or go looking for it. No, there's a certain segment that ensures that we don't ever have to go looking for it and, in fact, will go out of their way to see that "it" finds us.

Again, am I still ''being naive?" Or, merely speaking from 43 years of personal experience and observation?

Edited by Fakename70, 24 February 2013 - 02:47 PM.

#55 surtur

surtur

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,766 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:37 PM

So true. If whites in Canada feel that minorities here are treated poorly then they should get out more. Being white I have not felt particularly welcome in areas in SE Asia. Easy for me to shrug and move on, it isn't for others.

It is my experience that racism is used on both sides of the equation to gain advantage for the groups involved. When you drill down you usually find a economic rationale or perceived economic rationale. When the tribe is threatened most close in for protection.

I find the ultimate irony in those that quote how many black slaves existed in America during their Revolutionary War. The number of white slaves is never discussed.

I feel awkward being a white person in certain parts of Canada...... i am not Racist and would never try to make someone feel bad for who they are but i have had many times been on the other side because i am White.
either way i hope those two can have a long career on TV as long as they are good at what they do.. i did not watch it so i can not comment on the job that they did.
people need to realize that we as a country are very divers in who we call Canadians .. even though i am white i am still a first Generation Canadian and am tolerant of everyone who will be a fellow countrymen .,
Release The KraKassian
Posted Image

#56 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,702 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:30 PM

And that's one of the many reasons I will never join twitter.

That's like saying because of trolls, you will never join CDC.

Oh wait...

#57 etsen3

etsen3

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,548 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:43 PM

I'd rather listen to "2 Pakis" who know what they are talking about than listen to 2 idiots like Jay Onrait and Dan O'toole.

I love those two....

No one brings racism onto themselves, racism if unfair no matter who the victim is. If people are gonna criticise him for having a big mouth that's fine, but it's still unfair to bring race into the issue.

#58 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,183 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:52 PM

There's a study out there showing that people will often say things online but not say those same things in public. Then again a study wasn't needed to know that.

Point being there's A LOT of racists and intolerant people in general out there hiding in the closet of intolerance.
Posted Image

#59 fwybwed

fwybwed

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,945 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:17 AM

First Nations peoples...lol

#60 zombieksa

zombieksa

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,985 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:29 PM

After last nights sportcenter on TSN twitter blew up with racist remarks towards TSN about their hiring of Nabil Kareem and Hardeep Ahluwalia, I was shocked at the fact that racism is still so big in and around Canada. Tweets were shared to TSN describing peoples feeling towards the show having '2 Pakis' running the show (only one is a pakistani ) other is of hinduism religion, my heart literally dropped and I was disgusted to see all these tweets being sent to twitter #TSN #Sportcenter. I just wanted to get the word out about this about how people are still living in the past and that there still are racist people out there the worst part was people were retweeting the racist tweets to show they supported it. I am a Sikh man myself and I love the sport of hockey and I love watching TSN and I love living in Canada born and raised here. But the fact that I know Im still living around racist people disgusts me. Sorry if i wasted your time with this topic but I just wanted to get this out there.

I agree with all that you say. But to nitpick Hindu is not a race.
"All religion, my friend, is simply evolved out of fraud, fear, greed, imagination, and poetry."
-Edgar Allen Poe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.