The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Schneider For 1St Overall Pick?

Southpop45

229 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So... Everyone was saying we have too many offensively skilled players.. But we'll take Yakupov? How about we trade for a 3rd-7th overall pick and get a solid D-Man or Two way forward, then we wouldn't be giving up so much. Lets be honest here, Columbus would want WAY too much for that first overall pick. We'd probably have a better chance at getting Nash, and Nash would probably be at a cheaper price.

I think it is possible.

Columbus could have had Bernier included in the Carter deal with LA, is they wanted him. The fact that they didn't tells me that they have their eyes on another young goalie.

I'm sure Schneider was discussed before the deadline, since MG did another deal with Columbus. They might have something preliminary worked out already.

This years draft will be big for The Canucks. I'm sure Schneider will be moved for something big. Whether it's the #1 pick, or a package of picks and prospects, MG will be restocking the cupboard with solid young talent.

Vigneault doesn't know how to handle offensive talented players. If they can't play defense first A.V. will never give them a chance.

The only type of young players that can develop under A.V. are like Kesler,Burrows, and Hansen because they are good defensively but their offensive side wasn't developed yet.

Yakupov is an offence first guy.

Yakupov wants to be on the Canucks, when was the last time a projected #1 pick in a draft ever expressed that.....NEVER.

With that aside, I would offer Schneider and either a good prospect (Tanev or Schroder, Rodin) and our 2nd rounder. OR Schneider and our 1st and a late round.

Yakupov is unproven and on the smaller side. We already are not a big team. So I think that trade would be fair. Schneider will have a pretty low cap hit when he signs his new contract and he is an excellent Goalie.

Yakupov is still young and may never be a superstar, but probably good enough for the 2nd line, so I think we don't have to give up so much to get him.

At first I voted no, but after I thought about it for a couple minutes and read some of the arguements, I think that would be really cool. Schneider is really, really important for this team, probably more important than a back up should be sometimes, but it's not often you get a chance at a first overall pick.

(unless you're Edmonton...) :picard:<span>

Yakupov wants to be on the Canucks, when was the last time a projected #1 pick in a draft ever expressed that.....NEVER.

With that aside, I would offer Schneider and either a good prospect (Tanev or Schroder, Rodin) and our 2nd rounder. OR Schneider and our 1st and a late round.

Yakupov is unproven and on the smaller side. We already are not a big team. So I think that trade would be fair. Schneider will have a pretty low cap hit when he signs his new contract and he is an excellent Goalie.

Yakupov is still young and may never be a superstar, but probably good enough for the 2nd line, so I think we don't have to give up so much to get him.

Teams don't go after what could high priced RFA's, for example Suter last year or Weber this year. Schneider will not command anywhere near as high a price tag.

As was noted by others, what if Schneider is offered $3.1 million? His worth more than a 2nd round pick. But even if he is offered enough to get a 1st and a 3rd, what if the team which made that offer had the 26 to 30th over all pick? Is Schneider not worth more than that low a pick?

And if you decide to eliminate certain teams from contention because they already have a good goalie, what if they decide to upgrade by getting Schneider? Sign Schneider, lose their pick(s), and then trade their current goalie for picks, prospects or roster players.

Leaving Schneider to the free agent frenzy is far too risky.

regards,

G.

I don't see it as being Schneider straight up for the 1st.

Columbus is a team that will find it almost impossible to sign free agents unless they dramatically overpay this summer.. something that can hamper them for years.

They will want a few players that they own the rights to for at least a couple years to turn things around before they lose them. They need roster players badly, not prospects! That is the main reason they would be trading their draft pick,

So in addition to Schneider, many of our non core parts could look fairly attractive to them. The inevitable Ballard and Raymond names can be put in there, but a guy like Hansen could also be a fit.

So if you had the chance to draft Crosby by only giving up a decent goaltender, you wouldn't do it?

CDC is seriously overhyping Schneider's trade value. Yes he is a good goalie, but at the moment, he is not the second coming of Patrick Roy. And Schneider + 1st Round would not net us the 1st overall pick.

Columbus would maybe trade Marc Andre Fleury for the 1st overall pick, but not Cory Schneider.

Adding on to that we are not a team in rebuild mode so unless Gillis absolutely fleeces a team to get a top 3 pick, he wont trade Schneider straight up for it.

Rebuilding teams give high draft picks plenty of ice time and the chance to make errors etc.

We are in the 'Win Now' mode and need NHL ready impact players.

Look at how Seguin tore it up in his final year matching Hall's points playing on a really bad team.

Boston was a strong team and played Seguin on the 4th line most of the year and barely played him in the playoffs, but now he is far better off because of that 1 year of learning.

We want to win now and Gillis states he wants an impact player for Schneids. We cant afford to trade Schneids for a player we'll have to season for at least 1 year before he gains A.V's trust and gets top line minutes over the likes of Sedins, Kes, Burr, Booth etc.

Realisticly, we should try trading Schneids for a top 4 defensemen like John Carlson, Z.Bogosian

Or young forwards like Johansen, B. Connolly plus picks

Schneider is worth at least a top 5 pick. If you are a team without a great goalie, would you use a top 5 pick to draft a goalie who would be guaranteed to turn out like Schneider? I definitely would, given that the top 5 is not a lock by any stretch. So many mediocore / busts in top 5, for every ovechkin, fleury, the are the patrik stefans, brian finley, etc.

In schneiders case the team won't even have to wait the 5-6 years of development, and they already have a goalie who had played 60 games in last 2 years averaging. .930 safe percentage.

So if you had the chance to draft Crosby by only giving up a decent goaltender, you wouldn't do it?

CDC is seriously overhyping Schneider's trade value. Yes he is a good goalie, but at the moment, he is not the second coming of Patrick Roy. And Schneider + 1st Round would not net us the 1st overall pick.

Columbus would maybe trade Marc Andre Fleury for the 1st overall pick, but not Cory Schneider.

Archived