The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Are We Over Estimating Cory Schneider's Trade Value?

_Kick_Save_

So this Off-season will be a big one in the future of #35 and of the team but I think that we are severely over estimating the value we will get back for him. Cory is definitely ready to be a starter in the NHL, that cannot be denied but the Canucks are truly at the mercy of the market when it comes to what will return for him.

The best example I can give is Jaroslav Halak. I think everyone remembers how well he played in 2010 and the magic he pulled in the playoffs ousting Washington and the defending cup champs in the Penguins almost single handedly. What was the return for that?

Lars Eller and Ian Schultz.

Cory Schneider has impressive numbers but who is to say that he will get more of a return than with Halak?

I do not know what the solution is to our enviable goal tending situation but it will be very interesting to see it play out!

eller was a first rounder 13th overall in 2007, he had good numbers in the AHL he just hasnt translated it into the NHL. But Montreal was handcuffed because halak wanted big money causing the price to go down. Plus its gauthier the guy is probably the worst GM in the league.

But yes, we probably are overvaluing Schneider but so is gillis and he wont let him go cheap. If teams want him they will have to pay a steep price.

Halak and Schnieder are a lot different. Halak was a really late round pick, whereas Schnieds is a 1st round pick. Schnieder has played consistently well for the past few seasons, whereas Halak played really well in 2 series. Schnieder is also younger then Halak when Halak was traded, he's a hot commodity for a tonne of teams.

Schnieder

Ballard

for

Hedman

Purcell

Tokarski

People overvalue the bajeezus out of Schneider here. Example, the post right above me. I mean, that's just insanity, Hedman alone > Schneider & Ballard. And then you throw in a 60 point scorer, and a solid goaltender prospect. Might just be trolling, but a lot of people take that seriously.

Of course he's super talented and has lots of potential, but all he is right now is a back-up. He's played less than 100 games in the NHL. Schneider is no Vezina winner or all-star yet, and he may never be. His value isn't as high as some think it might be.

eller was a first rounder 13th overall in 2007, he had good numbers in the AHL he just hasnt translated it into the NHL. But Montreal was handcuffed because halak wanted big money causing the price to go down. Plus its gauthier the guy is probably the worst GM in the league.

But yes, we probably are overvaluing Schneider but so is gillis and he wont let him go cheap. If teams want him they will have to pay a steep price.

Guest Dasein

Some of you, yes. Grossly.

Most of us, no. He's as proven as he can be as a backup, but still is unproven as a starting goaltender in the NHL.

He will not be able to fetch us a legitimate impact player, but a blue chip prospect of equivalent status (almost guaranteed to be a NHL star - ie, Gudbranson in Florida, Gormley in Phoenix, Dougie Hamilton in Boston, Mikael Granlund in Minnesota, etc) or a top 10 1st round pick.

So the main piece we could get is either a top 10 1st round pick or a blue chip prospect.

The side pieces we can get are some good prospects or high round picks (2nd or 3rd round picks).

Though, if one team thinks Schneider is the next great goaltender, they could go all in and offer us a crazy return which some of you suggest. All it takes is one GM to be that crazy about Schneider...Though it is unlikely even still.

are we not just as handcuffed as Montreal was though? we have a goalie whose contract is extremely limiting when it comes to trade options ( Luongo,) and goalie who is in for a hefty pay raise. How do we know we can sign Schnieds if the market isn't giving what he is worth?

I think the number one job will be wide open next year with Schneids being given the opprtunity to beat out Lou. If thats the case...Lou may wish to move to another team to be the starter. Daesin has his opinion, luckily not one shared by Gm's in the NHL. As often stated..these playoffs will either be Lou's finest hour or darkest days. Mediocrity will not be good enough this year.If Schneider comes on in relief and plays lights out you can kiss Luongo goodbye and sell your Luongo jersey !!

If the demand was high the Canucks would have dealt him,already.

No demand ,no trade.

They are just holding on to him until the appropriate offer comes in.

It does not matter what 'we' think.We are not all Canucks.org.

Realistically, Schneider is worth a 10-15 pick Plus a medium second rounder IMO.

Couple Schneider with our 1st, and I think that Merrits a top-5 pick.

Keep in mind that Schneider is proven. Sure, maybe not 100 percent in a starting role, but exponentially more proven at the NHL level than an 18 year old just finishing up puberty.

Archived