The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Possibility Of Justin Schultz Signing With Vancouver

There system and their goaltending is the reason he was a plus player, not his defensive skills or partner. Jovo? C'mon Miller. They got Michalek to steady and allow OEL to develop offensively so they could ship the exceedingly inconsistent Yandle for offensive help at center. I'd do it that way too if Tippett was running my show. Your point is well taken and valid but to me Yandle is vastly overrated; To you he's not. We will agree to disagree for one of the first times.

My point is that Yandle is an all-out offensive defenseman and they don't grow on trees. That's it (although for someone who watches the 'Yotes you ought to have noticed that the Jovo-Michalek pairing got all the hard minutes in PHX which lessened the defensive reliance on Yandle). Sure, he's a big defensive liability, just like Ehrhoff, Green (Mike), Ian White, Liles, Goligoski, Carle, Fowler, Vishnovky, Ryan Ellis (on the way), etc etc. Those are just off the top of my head but it goes to show you that there is a place in the league for it. Heck, Erik Karlsson just won a Norris on nearly an entirely offensive season.

There is a place for these guys on any team, Cup contender or not.

In my opinion, we have a better shot with Shultz than Garrison. I don't think Gillis will offer Garrison close to what he will get on the market... I'd say he would be able to get between $1.5 - 2 million per year more on the open market... That's too big of a discount if you ask me... I really hope Schultz does come though... It's like adding a high first rounder =)

My point is that Yandle is an all-out offensive defenseman and they don't grow on trees. That's it (although for someone who watches the 'Yotes you ought to have noticed that the Jovo-Michalek pairing got all the hard minutes in PHX which lessened the defensive reliance on Yandle). Sure, he's a big defensive liability, just like Ehrhoff, Green (Mike), Ian White, Liles, Goligoski, Carle, Fowler, Vishnovky, Ryan Ellis (on the way), etc etc. Those are just off the top of my head but it goes to show you that there is a place in the league for it. Heck, Erik Karlsson just won a Norris on nearly an entirely offensive season.

There is a place for these guys on any team, Cup contender or not.

Ya that's a bit steep, I dont think he would get that on the open market, he probably will settle for less.

And if he wants to play here Gillis should be able to get him to buy in to the same thing he has gotten other players to buy into, taking a bit of a discount to be apart of a really good team that has a big chance of winning.

http://www.ottawasun.com/2012/06/25/sens-chasing-schultz

“I believe we have a shot,” Murray told The Team 1200. “I believe it’s down to 3-5 teams, and I believe we’re one of those teams.”

Bryan Murray was a little more cautious when reached by the Sun a few hours later.

“We hope we’re one of those teams,” said the Senators GM. “When (Schultz) became a UFA, we felt (calling) was something we should do. He’s a good talent, and we felt we should take a shot.”

Just to let everyone know, I do have a reliable source but take it for a grain of salt. (cause this is the Internet after all)

Just to let everyone know what I've heard is Taylor Hall had made contact with Justin today, but so far the frontrunners are the Canucks.

Again take it as a grain of salt of you want to.

Archived