The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Possibility Of Justin Schultz Signing With Vancouver

Hmm... that's not how I remember..

Prior to July 1st, there were lots of "reports" but I don't remember seeing anything that quoted Hamhuis saying he "wants to sign with Vancouver if he can". Also, once his right was traded, nobody basically talked about Hamhuis going to Vancouver. I at least remember that's how it was because I know I was very excited but surprised about Hamhuis signing.

Hmm... that's not how I remember..

Prior to July 1st, there were lots of "reports" but I don't remember seeing anything that quoted Hamhuis saying he "wants to sign with Vancouver if he can". Also, once his right was traded, nobody basically talked about Hamhuis going to Vancouver. I at least remember that's how it was because I know I was very excited but surprised about Hamhuis signing.

I don't know, anyone with foresight? RNH, Hall, Eberle, Yakupov, Gagner, Paajarvi, etc., etc.

Going to Edmonton now is kinda like going to Pittsburgh in 2006, or Chicago in 2007. All signs are pointing to a serious upswing in Edmonton. Schultz is young. He fits in there. Vancouver is a veteran team that will have young guys on a short leash.

I don't know, anyone with foresight? RNH, Hall, Eberle, Yakupov, Gagner, Paajarvi, etc., etc.

Going to Edmonton now is kinda like going to Pittsburgh in 2006, or Chicago in 2007. All signs are pointing to a serious upswing in Edmonton. Schultz is young. He fits in there. Vancouver is a veteran team that will have young guys on a short leash.

Gagner hasn't been as good as expected, but even he is still only 23 years old. Lots of room for growth.

As for Cogliano & Gilbert, AC was a late 1st round pick, TG was 129th overall. Hall, RNH, and Yakupov were all 1st overall picks. Pretty significant difference, no?

No, I'm saying that Canuck fans tend to have a propensity to think that the Canucks are the choice destination for everybody.

Joe Sakic was said to be "coming home to BC" at every contract extension, Peter Forsberg was always rumoured to come here "to play with Naslund and the Sedin's", etc.

I don't see why Schultz would rather play here than Edmonton, personally, and I don't see him signing here. Time will tell.

Oilers don't even have a fricken coach. Schultz development would get hammered in Edmonton, he will be expected to do way too much right away will kill his potential. Vancouver perfect place for him to be 4th-5th dman depending on who he handles NHL. Plus chance of winning the cup and playing in a beautiful city.

His rights was traded twice shortly before July 1st. But make no mistakes, him coming to Vancouver was more or less common knowledge on the internet. I remember making fun out of 2 GMs (1 of them was Phili's) for trading an asset to acquire Hamhuis' right when everyone was saying he was coming here regardless.

I still think trading for negotiating rights for pending UFA is the stupidest thing ever.

Archived