• Announcements

• Templeton Peck

BOARD SPECIFIC RULES   02/05/2016

These are board specific rules, meant to try to make the Trades and Free Agent Signings forum better for everyone. YOU MUST READ AND ABIDE BY THESE FORUM RULES.

1. If an event happens, wait a few minutes before posting, in all likelihood, someone has already posted it. We don't want numerous threads on the same event, so please search before posting.

2. Please provide a clearly identifiable topic title for your thread so that user's can search for and find the appropriate thread easily. The title should include any and all teams involved, as well as player names or other personnel involved as appropriate. This is to help avoid duplicate threads and to make searching easier. For any and all comments, please use the Topic Description box instead of the title.

Affixed to the front of your title should be a label that identifies the type of transaction that is taking place. For all trades use [TRADE]. For all signings use [SIGNING]. For all waiver-wire transactions use [WAIVERS]. For all rumours use [RUMOUR].
      For articles or news that don't fit into the above categories, affix an appropriately label of your choice such as [NEWS], [ARTICLE] or [MISC].

3. All trades, signings, rumours and other news MUST include a linkable source. Simply posting the name of the source is not enough. Effort should also be made to copy and paste the full article, or at the very least the relevant portion of text from the source to the first post of the thread.

The following are NOT considered valid sources: Any links to posts or threads on other message boards Any links to personal blogs Any news heard on the radio that does not have a link to an audio vault or podcast Any news seen on television that does not have a link to online video Any news spread by word of mouth
      Hockeybuzz, Spector's Hockey and The Fourth Period are currently acceptable sources.

The NHL Line, Brochu is Hockey and NHL Hockey News by saint Pako are currently invalid sources.

4. Clearly misrepresenting the contents of your thread or posting false Trades/Signings/Acquisitions to send the forum into a frenzy will be taken very seriously and will result in an automatic suspension.

5. Please put all proposals into the proposals forum and NOT this forum. Proposals found in this forum will be moved or deleted without warning.

6. Please report any threads or messages that violate these or other board rules to the administrators or moderators() Do not respond by posting spammy messages such as 'IBTL', and 'LOCK AND BAN', or by attacking other users. The report button is located to the bottom left of every post.

Thank you for your co-operation and please PM one of the Moderators or Administrators if you have any questions, concerns or suggestions regarding this forum.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RAMBUTANS

Report [Speculation] Possibility Of Justin Schultz Signing With Vancouver

1,890 posts in this topic

New at this but i just want to address the cap implications of signing Schultz. There is a bidding war so there is no way he is signing for 900k as i have seen some suggest. He will get close the max for a rookie, which is about $3.8 cap hit (like Nugent-Hopkins, similar to Landeskog). Now that is a lot more than Edler for example, and close to hamhuis and bieksa. This may be why Detroit has abandonned, they just don't pay that kind of money to players who have not played one game in the NHL. So, maybe good value, but let's be straight about what the cost will be.

"Hopefully (Schultz) feels he wants to join something that could soon be very special in the years to come." – Oilers Kevin Lowe

An Oilers delegation including Taylor Hall met with free agent defenceman Justin Schultz and his agent in Toronto today per Oilers twitter.

As a Human being I would want to be in Vancouver, I honestly believe my life quality would be better but as a Hockey player I am going to edmonton. A storied franchise that is looking for that missing piece, a D-Man. To come in and fill that roll is a once in a lifetime opportunity, Edmonton is going to win a cup wether it's 5 years or 10 a cup is going to Edmonton. I would rather grow up with a team than get thrown into the mix on a team with "win now" expectations. Just my 2 cents.

New at this but i just want to address the cap implications of signing Schultz. There is a bidding war so there is no way he is signing for 900k as i have seen some suggest. He will get close the max for a rookie, which is about $3.8 cap hit (like Nugent-Hopkins, similar to Landeskog). Now that is a lot more than Edler for example, and close to hamhuis and bieksa. This may be why Detroit has abandonned, they just don't pay that kind of money to players who have not played one game in the NHL. So, maybe good value, but let's be straight about what the cost will be.

What is a credible source ? No one really knows anything, analysts usually make educated guesses. Do you think Dregger or Mckenzie know where Schultz is going to sign? I don't believe they know any more than I do.

I remember very clearly when Hamhuis signed here. It was pretty much common knowledge he was coming here particularly after he refused to sign with PIT and PHI after both those teams traded for his rights and made strong offers.

This whole process (ahem *facade* ahem) looks like it's just to make it even harder to prove tampering charges if the Ducks indeed file, imo. I'm sure they are weighing pros and cons but you can bet if he does end up signing here, or the Rangers, Bob Murray is immediately filing tampering charges. I don't think there's even a hint of tampering from Edmonton and I highly, highly doubt a loyal guy like Burke would screw over his former colleague Bob Murray that way (especially with that Friedman report that he offered compensation for Schultz's rights if he'd sign), which just makes me think it's the Rangers or the Canucks even more.

Honestly I am ok if he ends up in Edmonton - as I have said to my friends who are Oilers fans who keep telling me they will be a dynasty for years to come - how in a cap world will you keep Hall, N-Hopkins, Eberle and now Yakupov to fulfill this so called dynasty dream. Add Justin to the mix and I would love to see how they will assemble a team with 4 guys demanding at least 7 mil each and a kid who if he is as good as they say will want close to that (hey if you give Horcoff 5.5 and Hemsky 5 mil you have to figure these kids will be worth at least 7 mil each minimum on the open market) And I am sorry but no way do they take "hometown discounts" to play in Edmonton IMHO -

Not an Oiler's hater by the way - I think they have a solid young core - problem is in todays NHL you had better have kids that are willing take hometown discounts to play if you want to keep your team together ala Chicago after their Cup win and the firesale they had to do to stay cap compliant.

Lot more pressure to play in Edmonton and succeed and could still be a few years of missing the playoffs with the Oilers whereas with the Canucks he'd have a chance to thrive ala Tanev who has been brought along nicely.

Ah hell watch him sign with the rags lol

I'm tired of this. I don't want him. I think teams should run from this situation. It's crazy and the history of guys like this turning out isn't great. How good is he? He's never even had a season of major junior competing against the best. Matt Gilroy ring a bell? Guarantee him a roster spot? I hope the Leafs get him and they can deal with this crap. The pressure on him is going to be enormous after making such an ass of himself coming into the league.

The Rangers are solidified in the top 4 already.

Staal - Del zotto

McDonagh - Girardi

Mcilrath is coming soon.

We on the other hand have a glaring need for a top 4 right side d-man. The main reason why Salo hasn't been signed yet, he's our back up plan.

Wouldn't you guess that he will make sure the bonuses are 'achievable'? The full amount is there for all high level rookies: for example, Taylor Hall, injured both years, cap hit was $3.75 mil. last year, N-H, cap hit almost $3.8 million. The bottom line, there is NO way he is signing for a cap hit close to 900k. Count on $3.5 mil or you will be off the mark.

Concered about the 'attitude' bud...put his actions into context and he doesn't come across as the most 'character' guy if you think about it.

Seems to be putting himself ahead of everyone else without ever earning it, its a sign of one's character.

No to Anaheim

I want to go here or there

I have to have top 4 minutes

I have to have pp time

I have never played in an NHL game

But I am making demands because you know who I am?

ie...Character son. Character.

The Rangers are solidified in the top 4 already.

Staal - Del zotto

McDonagh - Girardi

Mcilrath is coming soon.

We on the other hand have a glaring need for a top 4 right side d-man. The main reason why Salo hasn't been signed yet, he's our back up plan.

I'm tired of this. I don't want him. I think teams should run from this situation. It's crazy and the history of guys like this turning out isn't great. How good is he? He's never even had a season of major junior competing against the best. Matt Gilroy ring a bell? Guarantee him a roster spot? I hope the Leafs get him and they can deal with this crap. The pressure on him is going to be enormous after making such an ass of himself coming into the league.

And if/when Del Zotto goes in the package for Rick Nash?

It's a good thing McIlrath is coming along because Marc Staal is an UFA in two years...

Columbus is going to want guys like Kreider, Stepan, Callahan.

Have you looked at the Jackets current structure?

Jack Johnson and James Wizniewski are signed for the next 5+ years

Fedor Tyutin is signed for the next 4 years

Marc Methot is signed for the next 3 years

Ryan Murray NHL Ready just drafted last week 2nd overall

John Moore NHL ready 2009 first round pick

Nikita Nikitin signed for 2 more years.

Columbus is going to want guys like Kreider, Stepan, Callahan.