The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Possibility Of Justin Schultz Signing With Vancouver

Here's where I read about the cap hit :

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/2012/06/28/report-vancouver-canucks-unwilling-to-offer-playing-time-assurances-to-free-agent-justin-schultz/?postpost=v2#content

With an estimated hit just south of $4.0 million per season, a team close to the salary cap – like the Vancouver Canucks – will have more difficulty fitting Schultz in than the Oilers would.

Murray might be a sure thing (then again, so was Erik Johnson) but John Moore is not a sure thing.

There were reports Columbus would trade down if they got the 1st overall pick before the lottery had even been held and if Edmonton had taken Murray, there was a report Howson was going to swap picks with Toronto. Why on God's green earth would he do that if he was going to draft Yakupov?

Just read an article saying he could cost up to 4 mil a year with bonuses which would count against the cap -if that data is wrong and he only costs the 900k then I am all over it - but not at the cost of guaranteeing him top 4 minutes. If he was 6'4 and 220 lbs and nasty in front of the net I'd be more willing lol as I think we are missing that big solid d man in front of the net

A little info I didn't know...

CBC has reported that Toronto has already had a shot at signing Schultz at the time of the NHL draft, but the player decided to go to free agency: “Hockey Night in Canada’s Elliotte Friedman wrote this week that he heard the Ducks allowed Leafs GM Brian Burke a window to sign Schultz at the NHL draft on the weekend but the latter passed.”

C'mon Gillis, get it done!

I'm not too worried if he signs with Edmonton. I don't have too much confidence in Schultz stepping into a Top 2 NHL role right from college.. he'll probably turn into a dud (or maybe that's just wishful thinking? I dunno).

What the kid really needs is to develop and learn from more seasoned players. He also needs to develop in a winning atmosphere, and all of that is here in Vancouver.

cap hit: if he amounts to nothing it is the 925k. if he plays top 4 minutes, meets all kinds of criterion, like (but guessing here) hitting 40 points, top 4 in ice time amongst d-men, 10 goals, +/- ratio, etc etc. then bonuses kick in to put him up to almost 4 million. of course he has no contract yet, but those are the types of bonuses available to him.

aka: if he is a legit top 4, he can earn 3.8m. if he isn't, he is stuck at 925k. and if he is a legit top 4, then we have no problem paying him 3.8m anyways, so it's all good.

didn't we go through last year 3m under the cap the whole way through?

See that just goes to show the amount of hockey knowledge Botchford has.

His base salary is 925k, but he has the option that every ELC player has which is to receive performance bonuses. The max amount of bonuses are something like 2.8 million. So technically he would have a cap hit of something like 3.7 million. But bonuses are counted towards the cap differently, that's what bonus cushions are for.

If he were able to achieve all of his performance bonuses, that 2.8 million would be added to the cap. But the bonus cushion allows us to go over the cap and carry that extra cap hit over to the following season. It's like when Toews won the Conn Smythe and the Blackhawks had to add a bunch of his cap hit on the following season.

If he achieves all of his perfromance bonuses though, he would likely be worth that amount of cap.

cap hit: if he amounts to nothing it is the 925k. if he plays top 4 minutes, meets all kinds of criterion, like (but guessing here) hitting 40 points, top 4 in ice time amongst d-men, 10 goals, +/- ratio, etc etc. then bonuses kick in to put him up to almost 4 million. of course he has no contract yet, but those are the types of bonuses available to him.

aka: if he is a legit top 4, he can earn 3.8m. if he isn't, he is stuck at 925k. and if he is a legit top 4, then we have no problem paying him 3.8m anyways, so it's all good.

didn't we go through last year 3m under the cap the whole way through?

The thing is, he could have just signed with Anaheim and gotten his max bonuses because they more than likely offered him top pairing minutes. Anaheim has a pretty good powerplay too.

So that tells me, it's not just all about ice time and earning money. Developing into an elite player that could one day get 7 million a year, is better than rushing his development, having a couple years of making 4 million, and then possibly fading away.

Archived