The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Possibility Of Justin Schultz Signing With Vancouver

You apparently know exactly what Mike Gillis said to him, and exactly how Justin Schultz reacted to what Mike Gillis said, yet I'm the one who's full of crap? Spare me.

Also, I think it's funny how you disagreed so strongly with the statement "sign with us and maybe you can work your way into our starting line up," and then proceed to say the exact same thing just with a different wording.

I'm sure Mike Gillis did try his best. Why wouldn't he? I'm sure Tambellini and Glen Sather also tried their best, but who cares? What matters is results.

I stand by everything I said. He's not coming here.

He won't sign here.

The Oilers have likely guaranteed him a top 4 spot to start the season, treated him like a king, got Gretzky and Coffey to kiss his arse and tell him how great he'll be in Edmonton.

He might have wanted to play for the Canucks, and the Canucks might have given him a nice pitch, but at the end of the day the Oilers are saying "sign with us, and you'll be a top 4 d-man in the NHL next season" while the Canucks are saying "sign with us and maybe you can work your way into our starting line up"

Career always trumps sentimentality. He might be a huge Canucks fan, but he's being faced with the choice between a team that will guarantee him ice time in the NHL as soon as next season, and a team that most certainly will not make such a promise. The Oilers smelt blood, that's why they got Gretz to call. That call probably sealed the deal. Could you imagine being a 22 year old and getting that call?

"Hi. I'm Wayne Gretzky. I was won by the Oilers over a bushleague game of backgammon. So you abandoning your draft team is relative small cheese."

"And i'm Paul Coffey. Do you remember when we destroyed your favorite team for decades? No? Well, um, you should've brought your parents so we could openly mock them instead."

"Nyah-nyah, nyah-nyah!"

"Nyah-nyah, nyah-nyah!"

TOML

I wonder if Gretzky and Coffey reminded Schultz of this...

How badly that Ryan Smyth was treated in Edmonton. Smyth gave every ounce of blood and sweat to that organization and Kevin Lowe screwed him. After 12 seasons with Edmonton he was traded at the 11th hour to the New York Islanders in 2007 due to failed contract negotiations. Not only did he trade Smyth, he sent him to the absolute worst team in the league. Smyth was literally in tears during the interview. I have never seen a grown player cry the way that he did that day. How is that for player loyalty?

Cheers

If he's as die hard of a Canuck fan as he says he is, if I'm him there's nothing that would change my mind from living out my dream and playing for the Canucks. I would want to sign here and be known as part of the reason Vancouver won its first Stanley Cup.

if career trumps sentiment, he'll be here as well. the best way to cash in on your next contract is to play with great players on a deep team that is successful - Ehrhoff anyone? step in and take his points.... pretty good for your career (until you move on to Buffalo, or Edmonton) ::D

If he's as die hard of a Canuck fan as he says he is, if I'm him there's nothing that would change my mind from living out my dream and playing for the Canucks. I would want to sign here and be known as part of the reason Vancouver won its first Stanley Cup.

rememeber when Gillis signed Sundin few years back? Gillis said at the time the main thing free agent players hate is getting pressured to make a decision. He knew that well because he was a player agent. Sent Sundin the offer of 20 mill for 2 years and then did not keep calling and pressuring him to sign. Well, getting Gretzkey and Coffee to call Schultz is pressuring Schultz. Just my 2 cents.

if career trumps sentiment, he'll be here as well.  the best way to cash in on your next contract is to play with great players on a deep team that is successful - Ehrhoff anyone? step in and take his points.... pretty good for your career (until you move on to Buffalo, or Edmonton) ::D

rememeber when Gillis signed Sundin few years back? Gillis said at the time the main thing free agent players hate is getting pressured to make a decision. He knew that well because he was a player agent. Sent Sundin the offer of 20 mill for 2 years and then did not keep calling and pressuring him to sign. Well, getting Gretzkey and Coffee to call Schultz is pressuring Schultz. Just my 2 cents.

Archived