The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Possibility Of Justin Schultz Signing With Vancouver

NO. On July 1st he is a UFA, so even if they fix the loophole in the CBA it would not affect him. It will only affect the players that are still property of a specific team. Schultz wont be property to anyone following July 1

no, if he chooses to stay in college and finish his degree while playing a final year in wisconsin, he remains the property of the ducks. the loophole only exists for players who leave college before graduating. once he declaires that he's leaving college and becomes a UFA he's ineligible from returning to Wisconsin for a final year.

Alot of players choose to finish off their degree later on though.

I think it would be a mistake on his part to go another year. I don't think his stock is ever going to be as high as it is now. And the sooner he burns off his two year contract, the sooner he can start earning the big bucks.

I am not confused. What I said that he would go back to school and finish his degree if there is a lock out this year. He would then be a UFA next year once the the season starts up again. There is a chance that they may change the rules relating to this but I highly doubt this will be a big concern and will not be addressed since there is so many other pressing issues to cover.

this is one of the major issues in the media and gm's minds going into negotiations. every analyst has stated they expect this hole to be plugged in the new cba.

and there is no way in hell the nhl has a season lockout, they just started to recover from the last one, they can't afford to have another one.

it's in shultz's best interest to go ufa now and avoid the possibility of locked into the ducks via the new cba, plus it burns a year of his ELC, meaning he can get into a high pay grade faster. he can't just sit back and go "i may go ufa, i may not, depending on how negotiations go. as soon as he declares himself as leaving school and going pro he's no longer allowed in the NCAA. another season in school will no longer be an option, and he needs to declare it before June 1st otherwise he won't be a ufa until august 15, 2013, regardless of whether there is a lockout or not.

If I am not wrong Schultz will look for a contract with max bonuses which will probably push his cap hit to 3.5m+. I remember there were a lot of people that were against signing Garrison because he only had one good season. In that case Schultz is similar 3.5+ caphit for a guy that has yet to play in the NHL.

If I am not wrong Schultz will look for a contract with max bonuses which will probably push his cap hit to 3.5m+. I remember there were a lot of people that were against signing Garrison because he only had one good season. In that case Schultz is similar 3.5+ caphit for a guy that has yet to play in the NHL.

Archived