The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Possibility Of Justin Schultz Signing With Vancouver

Or we can dump Ballard's contract.

You should tell him that Canucks are looking for a defencemen like him ever since Erhoff was let go.  No joke.  The Canucks are looking for a fast skating offensive dman that can take the play to the opposition and generate offence.  He fits the bill.  Also with Rome probably not coming back, Ballard's not playing that well, he can easily take a bottom 6 spot.

You listed 7 defencemen on the Canucks depth chart & only two play on the right side (Bieksa & Tanev). Of the bolded players I'd say no, he has no chance. Of the latter four, one is an UFA who may not even be re-signed (incidentally the only LH that has shown any inkling of being able to play the right side) and another may find himself traded or even waived to create cap room if Gillis gets stuck with $8.5m tied up in net this fall. The only defencemen that has even a remotely similar skillset to Schultz is Gragnani and, again, by all accounts Schultz sounds light years ahead in terms of his defensive game.

You yourself may be inclined to sign in Edmonton if you were Schultz because you are looking at $925,000 in pay today and large minutes on a non-playoff team; whereas, if I am Schultz, I'm looking at the impact that feeding transition passes to the league's #1 offensive team for the last two years is gonna make my 2nd contract twice the size of what Edmonton's diminutive forward core will land me in two years and if I outperform some similar players as myself in camp, I have a much better chance at hitting my bonuses feeding passes to the twins.

If I'm Schultz, I gotta feel confident that I can outperform Tanev in camp and the fact that Tanev was playing with Edler post deadline, and the fact that he started the playoffs as the Canucks' top pairing shutdown Dman beside Hamhuis, has me hopeful my skillset (PP QB) will be given every opportunity to flourish even in a prominent role (provided I prove that I can execute what is asked of me).

I think Gillis will want to get younger and more durable this offseason.

Salo has been great for us the last couple seasons, but we can't afford to go into next season and rely on him being a top 4 defenceman like we did this season.

Tanev doesn't have the offensive ability to be a top4 defenceman right now from what I've seen.

I think New York has shown what having young offensive defencemen can do for your team. And Gillis loves getting moneyball players with high potential like this. If we can get an elite top 4 defenceman with a 900k cap hit, that will give us almost 10 million to upgrade our top 9.

Salo has been great for us the last couple seasons, but we can't afford to go into next season and rely on him being a top 4 defenceman like we did this season.

Tanev doesn't have the offensive ability to be a top4 defenceman right now from what I've seen.

I think New York has shown what having young offensive defencemen can do for your team. And Gillis loves getting moneyball players with high potential like this. Plus we already have about 15.5 mil locked up in 4 defencemen, and unless Ballard is traded, I don't see us signing a big ticket defenceman when we still need to upgrade our second line.

If we can get an elite top 4 defenceman with a 900k cap hit, that will give us almost 10 million to upgrade our top 9.

I have no doubt Gillis would want to sign Schultz. Every GM in the NHL pbbly wants to sign this kid. My comment was regarding my earlier discussion with Miller. I don't feel its in Schultz's best interest to sign with the Canucks. Miller disagrees. According to the posted interview with Schultz's dad the Schultz family apparently believes what I do.

I'm not a fan of bringing Salo back. I appreciate what he did for us for so long but it is time for new blood.

His perennial durability problem is big part of the reason why Nucks opt for having 8 D men on the 23 man roster instead of the usual 7, depriving the coaching staff of having two spare forwards (1 skilled, 1 for toughness) so as to better motivate all dressed forwards. He is slower now and brings no physicality to the game. Sound positioning and good judgement are still there but I would not mind seeing more crease clearing muscle there and endure other shortcomings.

Garrison is an intriguing UFA in that he is said to be a able to play both sides, something that apparently none of our current D can do to the coaching staff's satisfaction. Guy should be considered, but only after the Schultz situation is clarified.

Goes without saying that Rome should be thanked for his work here and seen off.

I think New York has shown what having young offensive defencemen can do for your team. And Gillis loves getting moneyball players with high potential like this. Plus we already have about 15.5 mil locked up in 4 defencemen, and unless Ballard is traded, I don't see us signing a big ticket defenceman when we still need to upgrade our second line.

If we can get an elite top 4 defenceman with a 900k cap hit, that will give us almost 10 million to upgrade our top 9.

I will be shocked if he actually chose Edmonton. All that stupid hype about being a future monster team, what makes people think we can't continue to be a very good team down the road? They make it sound like Only Edmonton can be a contender in the future. With exception of the 3 first overall players, and they will be depending on in the future, Edmonton is ass of the NHL. Well at least it represents the Ass of the Western conference. It got voted by NHL players, as destination they will least like to play for, and it also got scored highest in destination they will lease like to get traded too. I don't see why he will chose Toronto. Jake Gardiner? Really? Because of his friend? We are talking his career path right now. There are a lot of qualified NHL cities, that are >>> over Toronto. I don't even have a clue why the the topic of Edmonton and Toronto keeps being circulated. It's unbelievable. Mckenzie suggests he will sign in Toronto and Edmonton, everyone jumps onto this wagon, and thinks it will be one or the other, cmon, there are 27 other NHL cities out there. If Schultz wants to take the easy road to the NHL, (sign with a garbage team, because it's "easier" to crack the line up) then that's his choice. Key word, "easy road"

He has not played a single NHL game does not deserve the status of a elite dman ,For example look at Matt Gilroy who had the exact same hype as this kid and demanded the only contract he would take was the one guaranteeing him a spot on a NHL team and look whats happening with him.

Man I would be SO happy if we signed Schultz and got Schenn, Gardiner, and the 5th overall pick for Luongo.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Booth - Kesler - Forsberg

Higgins - Pahlsson - Malhotra

Kassian - Lapierre - Hansen

Edler - Schultz

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Gardiner - Schenn

Tanev

Schneider

Lack

That would be our forward group if we draft Forsberg and don't make any other trades. And I think another way to convince Justin to sign here is to promise him top pair minutes. But either way thats a cup winning roster right there.

Man I would be SO happy if we signed Schultz and got Schenn, Gardiner, and the 5th overall pick for Luongo.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Booth - Kesler - Forsberg

Higgins - Pahlsson - Malhotra

Kassian - Lapierre - Hansen

Edler - Schultz

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Gardiner - Schenn

Tanev

Schneider

Lack

That would be our forward group if we draft Forsberg and don't make any other trades. And I think another way to convince Justin to sign here is to promise him top pair minutes. But either way thats a cup winning roster right there.

Archived