Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

[Speculation] Possibility Of Justin Schultz Signing With Vancouver

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1889 replies to this topic

#361 Jensen17

Jensen17

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 03:20 PM

Schultz was a canucks fan when he was little and the nucks have been reported to have a lot of interest. Salo is old and schultz could play with edler that would be perfect. I hope the leafs don't get him so they can say gardiner is the hero that convinced him.
Posted Image

#362 sampy

sampy

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,052 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 03:33 PM

Schultz was a canucks fan when he was little and the nucks have been reported to have a lot of interest. Salo is old and schultz could play with edler that would be perfect. I hope the leafs don't get him so they can say gardiner is the hero that convinced him.

If the Leafs get him, it sounds like there may be some tampering charges. Hopefully the Nucks land the promising dman.

#363 bd71

bd71

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 709 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 08:51 AM

This does sound bad. Is this another kid with controlling parents or character issues?

Why not just be straight up in this situation. It looks as though he has led the Ducks on only to never really have the intention to sign with them. If he wasn't interested they could have traded his rights ages ago for much better value than they will get now. If this was happening to the Canucks you guys would be going crazy with hatred towards the player.

#364 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,312 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 09:00 AM

This does sound bad. Is this another kid with controlling parents or character issues?

Why not just be straight up in this situation. It looks as though he has led the Ducks on only to never really have the intention to sign with them. If he wasn't interested they could have traded his rights ages ago for much better value than they will get now. If this was happening to the Canucks you guys would be going crazy with hatred towards the player.

That's a valid point! but he's not doing it to the Canucks he's doing it to the Ducks and eff the Ducks.
Posted Image

#365 mpt

mpt

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,523 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 09:00 AM

Its no different than the Bill Sweatt situation. Thats what you get for drafting a player from college; the likelihood he'll finish his education and enough time has then passed that they become a UFA. Its no different than the risk involved drafting a Russian.

#366 ccc44

ccc44

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,423 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 09:04 AM

Oh, okay. So you don't "exactly" agree with WHL that it's in Schultz's best interests to be gifted a roster spot in Edmonton...

I thought it was confusing.

No player should be gifted a spot , If he is looking for the best opportunity to play in the NHL next season then Edmonton would be a one of his best choices
Posted Image
SHOTS ! SHOTS ! SHOTS !

#367 Millerdraft

Millerdraft

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,509 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 09:16 AM

No player should be gifted a spot , If he is looking for the best opportunity to play in the NHL next season then Edmonton would be a one of his best choices

Agreed on being gifted a roster spot. Now, it may be one of the best opportunities to play in the NHL next season (which is incidentally something he could've done even quicker by signing last year in Anaheim) but is that what he's looking at? Or is he looking at what is best for a long career of sustained success?

If the latter is the case (likely imo considering how he turned his nose up on an immediate chance to play NHL hockey in Anaheim), Detroit and Vancouver are two of his better choices given what they've been able to accomplish in the last decade vs a team that has missed the playoffs in eight of the last ten NHL seasons.

Kassian.... Taylor Pyatt 3.0

Lies. He's more of a Steve Bernier. Hopefully his talent level goes up so he can become like a Taylor Pyatt.

#368 sampy

sampy

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,052 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 09:21 AM

Schultz grew up in beautiful Kelowna where scenery is plentiful and the weather is great. He has his choice of 30 teams, why would he pick the ugliest city and worst travel schedule.? Ice time? He would have had lots of ice time in Anaheim. I'm pretty sure he could get ice time on a lot of teams.

Edited by sampy, 12 June 2012 - 09:22 AM.

#369 BoKnows53

BoKnows53

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 09:22 AM

He would be in tough to make Edmontons defense.

They already have:

Smid - Schultz(Nick)
Peckham - Whitney
Sutton - Barker
Potter - Petry
Teubert - Plante

And I don't think theres a chance in hell a guy with an ego like this will play on a defense core with another guy named Shultz.

#370 Jester@wraiths.ca

Jester@wraiths.ca

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,226 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 12:12 PM

He would be in tough to make Edmontons defense.

They already have:

Smid - Schultz(Nick)
Peckham - Whitney
Sutton - Barker
Potter - Petry
Teubert - Plante

And I don't think theres a chance in hell a guy with an ego like this will play on a defense core with another guy named Shultz.

Edmonton was in the bottom 1/3 of the league when it came to keeping pucks out of their own net, if an up and coming "can't miss prospect" can't break into their defense lineup, he isn't "can't miss"...

#371 Boudrias

Boudrias

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,197 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 12:19 PM

Agreed on being gifted a roster spot. Now, it may be one of the best opportunities to play in the NHL next season (which is incidentally something he could've done even quicker by signing last year in Anaheim) but is that what he's looking at? Or is he looking at what is best for a long career of sustained success?

If the latter is the case (likely imo considering how he turned his nose up on an immediate chance to play NHL hockey in Anaheim), Detroit and Vancouver are two of his better choices given what they've been able to accomplish in the last decade vs a team that has missed the playoffs in eight of the last ten NHL seasons.

If it was a question of ice time and the likelyhood of playing now then why not Anaheim. Their d-core was pretty brutal last season. I can understand the Detroit angle but the demoraphic in Detroit is worse than Van's. I suspect the Wings will go after him now that both Lidstrom and Stuart are gone. Maybe playing with Suter will attract him. I think Van is right in there.

#372 bd71

bd71

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 709 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 01:09 PM

Its no different than the Bill Sweatt situation. Thats what you get for drafting a player from college; the likelihood he'll finish his education and enough time has then passed that they become a UFA. Its no different than the risk involved drafting a Russian.

I think it is different. Sweatt was was traded and then didn't sign in Toronto but I'm not sure anyone questioned his character. The bigger question with Sweatt is whether he can break the lineup. Anaheim is clearly upset with Schultz and the way he has treated them. I think if he just came out and said he had no intent to sign they would have moved him and all would be good.

There might be some issues there. If he signs somewhere and it doesn't go his way is he going to again pull the moves he is pulling now?

#373 Lonny_Bohonos_14

Lonny_Bohonos_14

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 01:36 PM

I think it is different. Sweatt was was traded and then didn't sign in Toronto but I'm not sure anyone questioned his character. The bigger question with Sweatt is whether he can break the lineup. Anaheim is clearly upset with Schultz and the way he has treated them. I think if he just came out and said he had no intent to sign they would have moved him and all would be good.

There might be some issues there. If he signs somewhere and it doesn't go his way is he going to again pull the moves he is pulling now?

I don't think Shultz has issues with Anaheim in particular, and if playing in the NHL was his top priority Anaheim wouldn't be a bad place to start.

They way I think it's gone down is:
Shultz got drafted by the Ducks and was just excited to play for a team that had faith in him. Which would explain why the Ducks thought he was a lock to sign. Then Shultz gets some advice, maybe from a relative (Dad?), agent, coach, or friend currently playing (Gardiner?), that he has a unique opportunity to choose where he plays for the next 6 years or so. Now he just wants to test the waters.

Posted Image

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#374 The Mighty Momesso

The Mighty Momesso

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 02:55 PM

How much money would the Canucks have to throw at this kid? I heard over 2.5 mil per. If that is right that wouldn't sit very well with Bur... Schultz is a solid prospect and has tremendous upside but thats a lot of coin for an unproven d-man, especially on a team that many of its stars have taken a discounted contracts to stay together...... It will be interesting to see where he goes...

#375 Franz Liszt

Franz Liszt

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,756 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 02:59 PM

How much money would the Canucks have to throw at this kid? I heard over 2.5 mil per. If that is right that wouldn't sit very well with Bur... Schultz is a solid prospect and has tremendous upside but thats a lot of coin for an unproven d-man, especially on a team that many of its stars have taken a discounted contracts to stay together...... It will be interesting to see where he goes...

The max they can sign him to is $925,000. However, they can give him bonuses that add up to $3.775 million ($2.850 in bonuses)

120px-Liszt_sign.JPG

#376 Harold Druken

Harold Druken

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 05:42 PM

Isnt Druken a Newfie from Cornerbrook :rolleyes: .

HAHA yes and I am definitely not. I've lived in Coquitlam, Chilliwack, West Kelowna, and Salmon Arm. All in BC. Druken is just a beaut thats all
Posted Image HAROLD DRUKEN: LEGEND

#377 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,336 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 09:12 PM

How much longer does Anaheim have to re-sign him?

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

Gaudreau has one NHL goal whereas all your "prized" prospects have none.

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#378 One one two

One one two

Got skipped

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,878 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 09:39 PM

He's free to sign with anyone on July 1st, iirc.

#379 Joel Heyman

Joel Heyman

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,668 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 10:04 PM

Until June 21st, I believe.

I don't think Shultz has issues with Anaheim in particular, and if playing in the NHL was his top priority Anaheim wouldn't be a bad place to start.

They way I think it's gone down is:
Shultz got drafted by the Ducks and was just excited to play for a team that had faith in him. Which would explain why the Ducks thought he was a lock to sign. Then Shultz gets some advice, maybe from a relative (Dad?), agent, coach, or friend currently playing (LaBate), that he has a unique opportunity to choose where he plays for the next 6 years or so. Now he just wants to test the waters.

*Fixed that for you :bigblush:

i44w87.jpgryanroyazzopardi+rolled+a+random+image+p
Blue Team

#380 BoKnows53

BoKnows53

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 11:17 PM

Until June 21st, I believe.

*Fixed that for you :bigblush:

Actually he played college hockey with both Ryan McDonagh and Derek Stepan. Rangers win 2-1, he's headed to New York.

#381 Pistachios

Pistachios

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,913 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 11:55 PM

Even if the Canucks do sign him, like any prospect he first has to make the team. And like any roster player, he has to earn his ice time.

Let's just leave it at that.

G4fSut.gif

#382 Joel Heyman

Joel Heyman

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,668 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 12:26 AM

Actually he played college hockey with both Ryan McDonagh and Derek Stepan. Rangers win 2-1, he's headed to New York.

Actually, he was born in Kelowna and he and his family all grew up as and or are Canucks fans. Canucks win (However many family members he has + 1)-2, he's headed to Vancouver.

Yeah, I wasn't being serious initially, and still am not, but we both can play the BS pull facts out your butt game.

i44w87.jpgryanroyazzopardi+rolled+a+random+image+p
Blue Team

#383 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 12:37 AM

LOL. A worst place team is the best place for a prospect. LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Crappier players to play with, crappier team, lack of support, lack of talent, come to think of it, might not be the best for him. You have to stop going by the EDMONTON IS HIS BEST PLACE FOR HIM, bs arguement. Technically Columbus, Long Island, Montreal are also places that are not too bad choices for him because they are "weak" as you said. I personally think, for any young player, the AHL is a wonderful place for players to develope. If he wants to take the easy road, sign with a garbage team, then he can take the easy route.

Players Nikolaj Ehlers have been compared too by the fan base of the Vancouver Canucks.

1 Pavel Bure

2 Markus Naslund

3 Nathan Mackkinon

4 Jonathan Drouin.

5 Jonathan Tavares

http://bleacherrepor...d-top-prospects

combine results.  Ehlers 5'11 162 lbs of solid rock.  

#384 BoKnows53

BoKnows53

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 01:01 AM

Actually, he was born in Kelowna and he and his family all grew up as and or are Canucks fans. Canucks win (However many family members he has + 1)-2, he's headed to Vancouver.

Yeah, I wasn't being serious initially, and still am not, but we both can play the BS pull facts out your butt game.

Actually I wasnt being serious either, but teammates overrule family as he will spend most of his time with the boys. So New York still ahead.

#385 Boudrias

Boudrias

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,197 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 08:53 AM

LOL. A worst place team is the best place for a prospect. LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Crappier players to play with, crappier team, lack of support, lack of talent, come to think of it, might not be the best for him. You have to stop going by the EDMONTON IS HIS BEST PLACE FOR HIM, bs arguement. Technically Columbus, Long Island, Montreal are also places that are not too bad choices for him because they are "weak" as you said. I personally think, for any young player, the AHL is a wonderful place for players to develope. If he wants to take the easy road, sign with a garbage team, then he can take the easy route.

On that basis he could have stayed with Anaheim. Their d-core is pretty brutal as well. If he wants ahockey environment he comes north.

#386 Millerdraft

Millerdraft

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,509 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 08:40 PM

Cult of Hockey RSS Feed

To win Justin Schultz, the Oilers will have to guarantee a roster spot, ex-GM Lawton says

June 13, 2012. 11:20 am • Section: Cult of Hockey, Oilers

Posted Image

What will it take for the Oilers to sign up star defensive prospect Justin Schultz?

No team can offer Schultz, 21, more money than any other squad, just a standard, bonus-packed entry level deal, so it’s going to be a brilliant sales job that will win the day. Time to load up Taylor Hall, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Jordan Eberle and Nail Yakupov on Daryl Katz’s private jet to make a road trip in late June to ask Schultz how he’d like to join them on the Oilers power play.

Former NHL GM Brian Lawton says that any team that wants this highly-rated, soon-to-be-free agent prospect will have to meet with him in person and guarantee him a roster spot for next season.

“You can rest assured ten teams will guarantee him a spot on their roster,” Lawton told Jason Gregor of the Team 1260. “If you want to compete for these guys you better understand the environment and you better be aggressive. Because there is no time to not be. So if you any chance to get a player like this, you’re gonna unfortunately going to be out there on a limb in some uncomfortable positions. Because there are things you don’t want to do like guaranteeing a roster spot to a player who has not played in the league. But guess what? That is the landscape you’re dealing with. If you’re going to sit at home and say, ‘I’m not going to do that,’ that’s great. But you’re not going to get any players either.”

Such a guarantee can’t be enforced by the player or by his agent, Lawton said, but it’s necessary for the GM to have that conversation directly with the player to provide a real assurance. “If the GM gives you his word he’s going to do that, then it’s not good as gold because they can send you down (to the minors) at any time, but you’ll be apt to get more opportunities to play on the team.”

What to do?

Should the Oilers guarantee Schultz a job if he signs here?

If he asks for one, yes. He doesn’t sound like the kind of kid who will be ruined by such an assurance. His college coach Mike Eaves describes him as an extremely hard work and very competitive. Eaves also says that Schultz has a bit more offensive magic to his game than his former teammate, Jake Gardiner, who is now so valued in Toronto. He will be signed by an NHL team with every hope that he’ll be on the roster in 2012-13. And it’s also worth noting in recent summers the Oilers have given roster spots to inferior veteran players, making multi-million bets on Kurtis Foster and Cam Barker. Those were poor bets. Schultz is a better one. And if you were willing to give NHL contracts to Foster and Barker, what sense would it make to deny such an assurance to Schultz?

The Anaheim Ducks will lose their exclusive rights to negotiate with Schultz on June 24, said reporter Eric Stephens of the Orange County Register to Bob Stauffer onOilers Now. After that, Schultz will be able to negotiate with the Edmonton Oilers and other NHL teams, but can’t sign until July 1.

Schultz isn’t expected to sign in Anaheim, Stephens said. “There’s obviously been a stalemate. The Ducks have offered pretty much everything to him, whether it’s wanting to play him after his season ended in Wisconsin, wanting to burn that first year of what would have been a natural, two or three year entry level contract. All but guaranteeing him a spot on the blueline for the coming season as well. And for whatever reason, it’s been the $64,000 question, Justin has basically decided … he’s going to use his option and his right under the current CBA to pursue free agency and talk to a bunch on other teams and there will be many of them that are interested in his services.”

The Ducks will take one last stab at Schultz, Stephens said. “But they’re also resigned to the fact that Justin is looking at other teams, and Edmonton is obviously is one of them.

“There’s certainly a lot of conjecture that he wants to play close to home (Kelowna). His parents are obviously huge Vancouver Canucks fans. Edmonton is certainly very close to there, but there are also other teams, Toronto, you name name them, New York Rangers, possibly Detroit if they lose out on the Ryan Suter sweepstakes.”

Stauffer said he’d gone with Oilers GM Steve Tambellini to see Schultz in a playoff game in Denver.

“He was head and shoulders the best player on the ice,” Stauffer said. “I do think there will be a transition year for him and his second year he will have a huge offensive impact.”

Michael Russo of the Star Tribune also talked to Stauffer about Schultz and noted that it would make some sense for the prospect to sign in Edmonton.

“I think he wants to play in Canada.”

The Oilers also need d-men, Russo said. “If you add a dynamic offensive guy like Justin Schultz playing with those kids, Taylor Hall, Nugent Hokings and Eberle, my god that could be a quality team for many, many years.”

How good is Schultz?

“Schultz to me, other than Ryan Suter, is the top free agent that comes out of July 1.”

Perhaps the Oilers should look at trading for the right to sign Schultz right now, perhaps sending a conditional second round pick to Anaheim pronto. Why wait?

Let the sales job begin.

http://blogs.edmonto...gm-lawton-says/

Kassian.... Taylor Pyatt 3.0

Lies. He's more of a Steve Bernier. Hopefully his talent level goes up so he can become like a Taylor Pyatt.

#387 sampy

sampy

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,052 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 08:46 PM

O man I hope the Nucks sign this kid.

#388 Lonny_Bohonos_14

Lonny_Bohonos_14

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 06:23 AM

Michael Russo of the Star Tribune also talked to Stauffer about Schultz and noted that it would make some sense for the prospect to sign in Edmonton.

“I think he wants to play in Canada.”

I'm not sure what to think about this quote. Like, really? That's the only reason he should sign in Edmonton? No wonder FA don't want to sign there. They can't even come up with a good pitch other than - 'If you want to play in Canada, give Edmonton a shot!' :lol:

Posted Image

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#389 Boudrias

Boudrias

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,197 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:35 AM

MG had better tell Schultz that if he signs he will let Salo walk. Sign the kid and play the hell out of him all season. Give him the right side PP spot and see how he does. Lawton's assessment means a lot to me.

#390 Jaku

Jaku

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,186 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:59 AM

"Justin Schultz informed the Ducks he will test free agency. Ducks GM Bob Murray will meet with Teemu Selanne this week." - Elliotte Freidman (CBC) http://www.mynhltrad...justin-schultz/ June 12th 2012.
R.I.P- #37 Rick Rypien, #28 Luc Bourdon, #38 Pavol Demitra Forever Canucks.
Posted Image
Credit to Khalifawiz501 for the Sig.
Posted ImageColorado Avalanche GM in CDC STHS Sim League

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.