Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

[Speculation] Possibility Of Justin Schultz Signing With Vancouver

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1889 replies to this topic

#61 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,235 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 09:22 PM

I was his neighbour and friend back in grade 6 and we often played road hockey together. I know, back then at least, that he was as big of a Canucks fan as I was/am. Thats not to say he hasn't changed but I know back then at least Justin, like me, definitely dreamed of playing for the Canucks one day. So is there a chance that he holds out and signs here? I would have to say yes.

Once a CAnucks fan will always be a Canucks fan. Nothing will change him no matter what happens.

Well, I , I feel very good about this draft, but I, I think, potentially you know were gonna have 3 or 4 NHL players out of this group, ummmm, you know like we are not going to prejudice to were they are from.

-Jim Benning June 27, 2015 shortly after the completion of the 2015 NHL Entry draft in Miami Florida.

#62 Caboose

Caboose

Marlies Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,497 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 09:29 PM

Could he choose to declare himself a UFA now and sign with a team or must he wait for July 1st?

kb71ZMt.jpg

#63 Teemu Selänne

Teemu Selänne

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,250 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 09:40 PM

Could he choose to declare himself a UFA now and sign with a team or must he wait for July 1st?

Must go until July 1st without a contract. If Murray is smart & he can't sign him, he'll trade him off (his rights) just like Chitown did with Sweatt to Toronto.

#64 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,235 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 09:42 PM

Easily. Just don't sign a contract with Anahiem. He's automatically a UFA if he choses to do that. San Jose Did that when they decided not to Offer Patrick White a contract, (not that we would have) also when Minesota didn't offer A.J Theliln a Contract he was a UFA right away.

Cmon Justin! Heres your chance to live your dream as a Canuck!! Just tell your Agent, "YOu want to test and see whats out there." and sign with us. Cmon bro. Do it! Live your dream!

Well, I , I feel very good about this draft, but I, I think, potentially you know were gonna have 3 or 4 NHL players out of this group, ummmm, you know like we are not going to prejudice to were they are from.

-Jim Benning June 27, 2015 shortly after the completion of the 2015 NHL Entry draft in Miami Florida.

#65 RandyLahey

RandyLahey

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,833 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 09:59 PM

My step brother/uncle told me he had a dream that Schultz signed in Vancouver. One time he had a dream about taking pee and woke up covered in pee. Take it like a grain of salt.

Edited by RandyLahey, 13 March 2012 - 10:00 PM.

Posted Image
Made by canuckianone

#66 لني

لني

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,310 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 05:23 AM

Bull$h!t. While Philly & Pittsburgh were blabbing on and on about role, icetime, powerplay icetime, Cup chances etc, Gillis was talking about stuff close to not only Dan Hamhuis' heart but also his wife's heart: charitable work and giving back.

Hamhuis said that Gillis' pitch was completely out of left field in terms of the other sales pitches he received and the fact that Gillis recognized that Hamhuis is first and foremost a christian, secondly a family man and hockey third on his list of priorities was a huge boon to Hamhuis choosing Vancouver and taking a massive $1.5m less per year salary than what the NYI offered him.

Yup. And I believe Hamhuis was quoted as mentioning his role on the team being a factor. He'd have a forefront role here as opposed to playing behind others.

And the pitch is important.

Certainly people can't believe he'd sign here regardless f the GM. I mean if Satan was GM would he sign! :P
Sent from my iPhone Canucks App

It is not my intent to get in circular arguments with anybody. The reason i have avoided saying anything specific is because i know you or someone else will attempt to find an alternate explanation to my points which i intern will have to defend. I see no point in getting involved with the circular argument that is already well under way in this thread. I simply intended to voice my opinion on the subject. In the end either you accept the possibility of corruption and conspiracy or you don't.

Also i find your comments to be very childish. Does taking what i say out of context, paraphrasing and misquoting it make you feel good about yourself? Grow up.

Logic at its finest.

#67 لني

لني

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,310 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 05:29 AM

That's another point that interests me.

Maybe Schultz will look to sign with Toronto to play with his buddy Gardiner.

Maybe. However it's rare if ever that a player chooses to sign somewhere because of a friend, maybe a fringe player. Though players do sign because of family location/hometown.

Also it's a profession so the minute Schultz signs Gardiner could be dealt. No guarantee they'd be together.

However signing hometown pretty much guarantees that at least moreso than signing for friendship.

It is not my intent to get in circular arguments with anybody. The reason i have avoided saying anything specific is because i know you or someone else will attempt to find an alternate explanation to my points which i intern will have to defend. I see no point in getting involved with the circular argument that is already well under way in this thread. I simply intended to voice my opinion on the subject. In the end either you accept the possibility of corruption and conspiracy or you don't.

Also i find your comments to be very childish. Does taking what i say out of context, paraphrasing and misquoting it make you feel good about yourself? Grow up.

Logic at its finest.

#68 لني

لني

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,310 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 05:37 AM

Anaheim ain't a cap team. If I'm him a perennial cap spending team is on top of my list of requirements. Team's ability to cough up dough goes a long way toward winning, and, of course, can't hurt in terms of individual remuneration. :)

Hope springs eternal.

Not to mention success of the team and opportunity to play and rise through the ranks and also development.

Nucks have a good d core he could really learn from especially guys like Hamhuis.

Nucks have one guy on the right side that's legit in Bieksa and another who has the markings to be legit in Tanev but certainly Schultz would be a head of him pretty quick.

He'd have a good shot as making very good progression here and possibly in a few years time take over the top R sider from Bieksa as Bieksa starts to decline.

Hamhuis - Bieksa
Edler - Schultz
Somebody - Tanev

Is solid. Provided Schultz can translate his NCAA success into the nhl and Tanev keeps up his progression.

Not to forget a potential appearance by kConn.

Logic at its finest.

#69 Yeria

Yeria

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,401 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 07:10 AM

Gillis has no part man...no part - IF Schultz is choosing Vancouver because it's his hometown. Not gonna explain that aspect anymore. Why are you even explaining the other things that OTHER players may be looking for when we're talking about Schultz? It adds no substance to the argument and is pointless rambling. We were talking about Schultz, not OTHERS. So let's just focus on Schultz and the hometown example.

How do I have an idea that Hamhuis would have signed regardless of Burke or Gillis? Because he passed on Nashville, who traded his rights to Philadelphia - who had JUST gone to the Stanley Cup Finals, who then traded his rights to Pittsburgh - who had JUST won the Stanley Cup a year ago.

That's two contending teams who were in better position to win the Stanley Cup than Vancouver at the moment that Hamhuis passed on to get to free agency. Hamhuis himself has said that Vancouver was the place he was aiming for because it was his hometown, and was worried that we were no longer interested in him when we got Keith Ballard. But then, he got a call from Vancouver on July 1st and signed right away despite being offered a lot more money by other contenders.

That's a hometown signing. He passed on more money on two teams that had a better chance (at the time) to get to the Stanley Cup Finals. That has nothing to do with Gillis, but Hamhuis wanting to play close to Smithers, BC on a pretty good Canucks team built around the core set in place by Burke and Nonis.

Gillis? Yeah, he got us Alberts, Ballard, Hamhuis, Malhotra, Higgins, Lapierre, Booth, Pahlsson, Kassian and Gragnani. But why did that happen? Because we had Sedins, Kesler and Luongo and was already a good team. Gillis had been amazing at convincing players to take paycuts, yes. I give him a lot of credit for keeping this team together, and signing OTHER free agents as you would say. But I give him no credit when it comes down to signing a hometown boy like Hamhuis because he didn't do jacksh*t but call the guy.

Similarly, I will give him no credit if he signs Schultz - other than the fact that he gave Schultz a call because Schultz would have signed in Vancouver regardless of who's sitting in front office.

Please...Umberger? Sweatt? Do you not remember what this team was like when we had Umberger? If not, I'm sure you are familiar with the state Toronto was in when Sweatt refused. EXACT same boat. Gillis would not have convinced Sweatt to stay in Toronto...Nobody could have. Umberger was a waste, but he didn't exactly surmount to anything, so I don't really blame Burke for that.

Why are you getting so upset? It's not like I'm saying Gillis is incompetent and worse than Burke. I think Gillis is a great GM and that he's done a great job building this team. All I'm saying is, when it comes to hometown signing, a GM has ZERO factor and ZERO credit in signing the guy.

I thoroughly disagree with that statement. A player may want to play for his hometown ONLY IF the team is playing well and the GM is not a media whore like Burke. Who are you to say that hometown signing will triumph every single possible aspect out there that may or may not influence a FA signing?

#70 filthycanuck

filthycanuck

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 10:03 AM

He might come here because of the hometown factor but he might also want to go somewhere where he'll actually have a chance to play. Vancouver isn't the greatest place for prospect development. Another factor is that he plays on the same team as Labate.

Actually for a defenceman, this place might be perfect place for him to land. Im sure the Canucks are looking long and hard for that eventual guy to replace Sami Salo, and with Aaron Rome being UFA, Alberts or Ballard being expendable, there could be room for him if he seizes the oppurtunity.

#71 filthycanuck

filthycanuck

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 10:13 AM

I thoroughly disagree with that statement. A player may want to play for his hometown ONLY IF the team is playing well and the GM is not a media whore like Burke. Who are you to say that hometown signing will triumph every single possible aspect out there that may or may not influence a FA signing?

MG should get a bit of credit for guys signing for hometown discount. If our team operated like the Flames, we could be called the Smithers Canucks and Hamhuis still wouldn't come here. Fact is Hamhuis was sold on not only the jersey he is going to be wearing but where the organization was going, on the ice and off the ice ( involvement in the community). Mike Gillis was once an agent and part of the job description was selling the product. He sold the player to teams on what he brings on the ice to various teams with his agent hat on and he sold the city and organization to the player as a GM. If hometown signings were so easy, everybody would be jumping to gun to be playing in Toronto but isn't the case

#72 ConnorFutureGM

ConnorFutureGM

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 11:06 PM

I bet he signs in Edmonton.

#73 Yeria

Yeria

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,401 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 09:22 AM

MG should get a bit of credit for guys signing for hometown discount. If our team operated like the Flames, we could be called the Smithers Canucks and Hamhuis still wouldn't come here. Fact is Hamhuis was sold on not only the jersey he is going to be wearing but where the organization was going, on the ice and off the ice ( involvement in the community). Mike Gillis was once an agent and part of the job description was selling the product. He sold the player to teams on what he brings on the ice to various teams with his agent hat on and he sold the city and organization to the player as a GM. If hometown signings were so easy, everybody would be jumping to gun to be playing in Toronto but isn't the case

That's pretty much how I feel about the situation as well.

#74 Brunners

Brunners

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,414 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 04:50 PM

Maybe. However it's rare if ever that a player chooses to sign somewhere because of a friend, maybe a fringe player. Though players do sign because of family location/hometown.

Also it's a profession so the minute Schultz signs Gardiner could be dealt. No guarantee they'd be together.

However signing hometown pretty much guarantees that at least moreso than signing for friendship.

Does happen though; didn't NYI sign Moulson because he's friends with Tavares?

Posted Image

--

#75 Karlsson`s Flo

Karlsson`s Flo

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 05:10 PM

I think if he chooses not to sign in Anahiem, I think it will be down to Leafs and Canucks.

Edited by Snowy Hell, 15 March 2012 - 05:10 PM.

#76 asian player

asian player

Yakuza

• Members
  • 2,632 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 08:52 PM

he uses his wrist shot quite often
Posted Image
Mad props to Justdean10 for sig

#77 Get real canuck fans

Get real canuck fans

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 10:14 PM

The way AV used Coho, and the way he refuses to use Schneider, and if Kassians whopping 9 minutes last game is any indication why on earth would a young unproven player come here. Tanev seems like a good comparison and I feel he should have got more playing time this year as well.
Seems like firing AV would solve more than 1 problem.

#78 goblix

goblix

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,334 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 03:49 PM

The way AV used Coho, and the way he refuses to use Schneider, and if Kassians whopping 9 minutes last game is any indication why on earth would a young unproven player come here. Tanev seems like a good comparison and I feel he should have got more playing time this year as well. Seems like firing AV would solve more than 1 problem.

Kassian is on the fourth line, and gets sedin line time after penalties, when he gets better he'll earn more minutes.
Schnieder is our backup, getting 25 games is more than most backups around the league, hell the number one goalie in most places play around 70 games.
Coho had his chances on the 2nd line wing and some on the first, he just plainly doesnt do well on the wing, some players are like that.
Tanev is playing behind bieksa and salo.. makes him the third pairing where he has been in. He was in the minors the beginning of the year so he can get top 2 minutes where he just cant get up here.
The only problem here is your ignorance, wanting to fire the most winningest coach in canucks franchise history...

#79 Joel Heyman

Joel Heyman

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,674 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 08:57 PM

he uses his wrist shot quite often

Because its a laser. I would too if I was a defenseman with a shot like that. Sometimes being able to snap it and have it be like a slapper is more effective and will catch the opposing team off guard.

i44w87.jpgryanroyazzopardi+rolled+a+random+image+p
Blue Team

#80 Joel Heyman

Joel Heyman

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,674 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 02:08 AM

-.- nevermind for now

Edited by Hansen 36, 17 March 2012 - 02:25 AM.

Blue Team

#81 Situation69

Situation69

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 03:31 PM

At 6'1", 185 lbs, you can see Schultz pretty decent size. The sophomore is only 20 years old so you can expect him to put on more weight as he progresses to the AHL. You can add weight, but you can't always add height. Being 6'1" definitely helps his cause.

As a freshman, Schultz had a respectable 22 points in 43 games and he is absolutely tearing up the NCAA this year with 26 points in 22 games, which prorates to 51 points over the course of a 43 game season. That leads all Badger players and most definitely leads all NCAA defensemen. Hell, he's in a 7-way tie for the 5th most points in the NCAA with some company such as Jaden Schwartz and Cam Atkinson. Schultz had a hat trick against Michigan State back on 11/27 and has 7 multi-point games on the year. Gardiner also assisted on all 3 Schultz goals against MI St. It's also interesting to note that both Gardiner and Schultz are forwards-turned-defensemen. You might see some adjustment learning the defense game in players like that, but they're always thinking about how to get the puck in the net. Phenomenal skill-set on Schultz, who has adjusted a little more swiftly than Gardiner.

If you're wondering how the two compared to each other since Gardiner came to college a year earlier, Schultz actually outscored him last season and he's doing it again this year. Many times the players you skate with say a lot about the experience you're gaining and the level you can expect to someday be at. When you see a fellow player make significant strides, you want to do everything you can to follow and you've also seen first hand what that type of skillset looks like. This is what Schultz saw after playing last season with Derek Stepan and a couple kids by the names of Blake Geoffrion and Brendan Smith.

Back in Anaheim, Visnovsky, Lydman, and Fowler are all signed through 2013. Outside of Visnovsky, Fowler and Sbisa are the only 2 current Ducks that the Wisconsin duo will have to fight against for offensive minutes. The reason I overlook Visnovsky is because he is somewhat injury prone and with his age, he could either end up on the IR or traded by the time the Ducks are looking to get Schultz in the lineup. Sbisa has been highly touted ever since he made the Flyers as an 18 year old, but unless he turns some heads by April, he likely won't receive much of a raise. A low salaried contract for him gives even more of an open door to Schultz. With the Ducks in desperate need of some quality defensemen, don't be surprised if Anaheim pushes for Schultz and Gardiner to sign AHL contracts after their NCAA season is over this year. Barring any unforeseen trades or signings, Schultz and Fowler should be the top two Ducks blue line producers in 2-3 years, with Gardiner and Sbisa around to round out the top four.

The way Schultz is playing, you should not be surprised at all if he signs his first pro contract upon conclusion of his NCAA season. He would best be served with one year of AHL hockey and as Van Horne suggested, he could be ready by 2012-13. Van Horne has 10-40-50 as a possible point total for Schultz, but I think it's very possible for Schultz to hit 15 goals or more. I do agree though that in his good years, 50 points is a realistic number (likely not hitting that number until 2014-15 at the earliest). If you're in a league where defenseman goals are worth more, keep an eye out.

The Ducks top prospect Justin Schultz’s season ended yesterday at the University of Wisconsin. He’s said to be considering all options including: “1. Returning to Wisco for his senior season (unlikely IMO). 2. Signing 2 yr entry level deal with ANA and burns 1st yr by playing now…” … “3. Leave school at end of semester, become UFA July 1, sign with NHL team of choice. Hearing no decision is imminent, will take his time.” … “Longer Schultz goes w/o making firm decision would appear to be bad news for ANA. Ducks want this kid in the lineup now. Talented 2nd rder.” … “If Schultz goes to UFA, it would be a major blow to ANA. If he doesn’t sign soon, logical implication is he’s going to UFA.”

Go Canucks Go :canucks: Canucks - 4 Columbus - 2 (Final)

Cheers :canucks:

#82 70seven

70seven

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 03:42 PM

At 6'1", 185 lbs, you can see Schultz pretty decent size. The sophomore is only 20 years old so you can expect him to put on more weight as he progresses to the AHL. You can add weight, but you can't always add height. Being 6'1" definitely helps his cause.

As a freshman, Schultz had a respectable 22 points in 43 games and he is absolutely tearing up the NCAA this year with 26 points in 22 games, which prorates to 51 points over the course of a 43 game season. That leads all Badger players and most definitely leads all NCAA defensemen. Hell, he's in a 7-way tie for the 5th most points in the NCAA with some company such as Jaden Schwartz and Cam Atkinson. Schultz had a hat trick against Michigan State back on 11/27 and has 7 multi-point games on the year. Gardiner also assisted on all 3 Schultz goals against MI St. It's also interesting to note that both Gardiner and Schultz are forwards-turned-defensemen. You might see some adjustment learning the defense game in players like that, but they're always thinking about how to get the puck in the net. Phenomenal skill-set on Schultz, who has adjusted a little more swiftly than Gardiner.

If you're wondering how the two compared to each other since Gardiner came to college a year earlier, Schultz actually outscored him last season and he's doing it again this year. Many times the players you skate with say a lot about the experience you're gaining and the level you can expect to someday be at. When you see a fellow player make significant strides, you want to do everything you can to follow and you've also seen first hand what that type of skillset looks like. This is what Schultz saw after playing last season with Derek Stepan and a couple kids by the names of Blake Geoffrion and Brendan Smith.

Back in Anaheim, Visnovsky, Lydman, and Fowler are all signed through 2013. Outside of Visnovsky, Fowler and Sbisa are the only 2 current Ducks that the Wisconsin duo will have to fight against for offensive minutes. The reason I overlook Visnovsky is because he is somewhat injury prone and with his age, he could either end up on the IR or traded by the time the Ducks are looking to get Schultz in the lineup. Sbisa has been highly touted ever since he made the Flyers as an 18 year old, but unless he turns some heads by April, he likely won't receive much of a raise. A low salaried contract for him gives even more of an open door to Schultz. With the Ducks in desperate need of some quality defensemen, don't be surprised if Anaheim pushes for Schultz and Gardiner to sign AHL contracts after their NCAA season is over this year. Barring any unforeseen trades or signings, Schultz and Fowler should be the top two Ducks blue line producers in 2-3 years, with Gardiner and Sbisa around to round out the top four.

The way Schultz is playing, you should not be surprised at all if he signs his first pro contract upon conclusion of his NCAA season. He would best be served with one year of AHL hockey and as Van Horne suggested, he could be ready by 2012-13. Van Horne has 10-40-50 as a possible point total for Schultz, but I think it's very possible for Schultz to hit 15 goals or more. I do agree though that in his good years, 50 points is a realistic number (likely not hitting that number until 2014-15 at the earliest). If you're in a league where defenseman goals are worth more, keep an eye out.

The Ducks top prospect Justin Schultz’s season ended yesterday at the University of Wisconsin. He’s said to be considering all options including: “1. Returning to Wisco for his senior season (unlikely IMO). 2. Signing 2 yr entry level deal with ANA and burns 1st yr by playing now…” … “3. Leave school at end of semester, become UFA July 1, sign with NHL team of choice. Hearing no decision is imminent, will take his time.” … “Longer Schultz goes w/o making firm decision would appear to be bad news for ANA. Ducks want this kid in the lineup now. Talented 2nd rder.” … “If Schultz goes to UFA, it would be a major blow to ANA. If he doesn’t sign soon, logical implication is he’s going to UFA.”

Go Canucks Go :canucks: Canucks - 4 Columbus - 2 (Final)

Cheers :canucks:

Gardiner is a Maple Leaf, and their best D prospect. Was aquired last season for Beauchemin. If Anaheim cant sign Schultz, it'll look awfully bad on management to have lost them both.

#83 Joel Heyman

Joel Heyman

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,674 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 05:13 PM

At 6'1", 185 lbs, -snip-

He's 6'2", so that's even better. :D

Also, apparently McGuire said on some show that Schultz had decided it was Van :bigblush: . It is Pierre McGuire however, so take it with a grain of salt.

Blue Team

#84 Jester@wraiths.ca

Jester@wraiths.ca

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,226 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 05:46 PM

He's 21, weighs 185lbs. He will need to fill out before he makes any teams roster or he will get manhandled.

You should really let Erik Karlsson know that he can't handle play in the NHL either, given that he's 21 and 180lbs. If only he knew that before he put up 71 points this year so far...

It's the same logic that said Brian Rafalski couldn't play in the NHL, causing him to go play in Europe until the Devils wisely gave him a chance... Schultz's numbers are practically the same as Rafalski's were in college as well. Doesn't mean Shultz would be a success, but it means he is worth some team taking a chance to see. Anyone signing him simply gets what amounts to a high end prospect without using a draft pick.

#85 Blömqvist

Blömqvist

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,422 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 06:58 PM

Gardiner is a Maple Leaf, and their best D prospect. Was aquired last season for Beauchemin. If Anaheim cant sign Schultz, it'll look awfully bad on management to have lost them both.

Old article.

The sophomore is only 20 years old.

Every pizza is a personal pizza if you try hard enough and believe in yourself.

#86 CoreyPerry

CoreyPerry

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 03:10 AM

I want this kid in a Canucks jersey badly. Really hope Gillis can sway him into signing here if he decides to test the open market. Potentially he could play top 4 minutes right away, (Suter Parise other 2 names high on free agency list, but of course being hometown team I think Schultz wouuld be willling to come here. Parise wants a ton of dough, can't see Suter signing here)
Posted ImagePosted Image
Credit to CanucksBen for Kassian sig

#87 Ron Swansons Moustache

Ron Swansons Moustache

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 08:17 AM

Greasiest Moostache in the League.

You had me at Moustache Sign this guy!
http://Posted Image

#88 RunningWild

RunningWild

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,961 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 07:29 PM

A week or so ago, Bob McKenzie said Shultz is likely to go to free agency. Does anyone know which segment I am talking about? Video?

Anywhoo, I'm no expert, but if Shultz wanted $$, he would have left college by now. If he wanted top play top mins in the NHL, he'd sign with the Ducks. It's not like the Ducks are a horrific team, they just don't spend to the cap. Like a lot of players he probably wants a combination of competitive team, $$, and the minutes, possible location close to family (?).

IMO, Canucks have a gaping hole in the top 4 on the right side (Edlers missing partner). Salo's great, but Salos older and can't log top 4 mins. Nucks don't have any good D prospects on the right side (other than Tanev). But Tanev is a great shut down guy, doesn't have offensive flair like I'm assuming Canucks are looking for in a partner for Edler.
Shultz will be doing his homework - and could clearly see there is a spot for him on this team. A competitive team, close to family, spends to the cap and a position for him.

EDIT: Here's the video of Bob McKenzie saying he believes Shultz goes to free agency (@ 3:11): http://watch.tsn.ca/...2562#clip642562

Edited by RunningWild, 25 March 2012 - 07:46 PM.

#89 Karlsson`s Flo

Karlsson`s Flo

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 07:36 PM

Imagine how awesome it would be if Gillis nabbed Schultz and Dekeyser.

#90 falcon

falcon

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 08:43 PM

Imagine how awesome it would be if Gillis nabbed Schultz and Dekeyser.

Yea too bad there is 99.99% chance DeKeyser will sign with Detroit given his roots (born in Michigan), current team (Western Michigan U), his personal relationship with Jim Nill (Detroit's assistant GM) and history (was at Detroit's prospects camp last year).

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.