The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Possibility Of Justin Schultz Signing With Vancouver

I was his neighbour and friend back in grade 6 and we often played road hockey together. I know, back then at least, that he was as big of a Canucks fan as I was/am. Thats not to say he hasn't changed but I know back then at least Justin, like me, definitely dreamed of playing for the Canucks one day. So is there a chance that he holds out and signs here? I would have to say yes.

Bull$h!t. While Philly & Pittsburgh were blabbing on and on about role, icetime, powerplay icetime, Cup chances etc, Gillis was talking about stuff close to not only Dan Hamhuis' heart but also his wife's heart: charitable work and giving back.

Hamhuis said that Gillis' pitch was completely out of left field in terms of the other sales pitches he received and the fact that Gillis recognized that Hamhuis is first and foremost a christian, secondly a family man and hockey third on his list of priorities was a huge boon to Hamhuis choosing Vancouver and taking a massive $1.5m less per year salary than what the NYI offered him.

Anaheim ain't a cap team. If I'm him a perennial cap spending team is on top of my list of requirements. Team's ability to cough up dough goes a long way toward winning, and, of course, can't hurt in terms of individual remuneration. :)

Hope springs eternal.

Gillis has no part man...no part - IF Schultz is choosing Vancouver because it's his hometown. Not gonna explain that aspect anymore. Why are you even explaining the other things that OTHER players may be looking for when we're talking about Schultz? It adds no substance to the argument and is pointless rambling. We were talking about Schultz, not OTHERS. So let's just focus on Schultz and the hometown example.

How do I have an idea that Hamhuis would have signed regardless of Burke or Gillis? Because he passed on Nashville, who traded his rights to Philadelphia - who had JUST gone to the Stanley Cup Finals, who then traded his rights to Pittsburgh - who had JUST won the Stanley Cup a year ago.

That's two contending teams who were in better position to win the Stanley Cup than Vancouver at the moment that Hamhuis passed on to get to free agency. Hamhuis himself has said that Vancouver was the place he was aiming for because it was his hometown, and was worried that we were no longer interested in him when we got Keith Ballard. But then, he got a call from Vancouver on July 1st and signed right away despite being offered a lot more money by other contenders.

That's a hometown signing. He passed on more money on two teams that had a better chance (at the time) to get to the Stanley Cup Finals. That has nothing to do with Gillis, but Hamhuis wanting to play close to Smithers, BC on a pretty good Canucks team built around the core set in place by Burke and Nonis.

Gillis? Yeah, he got us Alberts, Ballard, Hamhuis, Malhotra, Higgins, Lapierre, Booth, Pahlsson, Kassian and Gragnani. But why did that happen? Because we had Sedins, Kesler and Luongo and was already a good team. Gillis had been amazing at convincing players to take paycuts, yes. I give him a lot of credit for keeping this team together, and signing OTHER free agents as you would say. But I give him no credit when it comes down to signing a hometown boy like Hamhuis because he didn't do jacksh*t but call the guy.

Similarly, I will give him no credit if he signs Schultz - other than the fact that he gave Schultz a call because Schultz would have signed in Vancouver regardless of who's sitting in front office.

Please...Umberger? Sweatt? Do you not remember what this team was like when we had Umberger? If not, I'm sure you are familiar with the state Toronto was in when Sweatt refused. EXACT same boat. Gillis would not have convinced Sweatt to stay in Toronto...Nobody could have. Umberger was a waste, but he didn't exactly surmount to anything, so I don't really blame Burke for that.

Why are you getting so upset? It's not like I'm saying Gillis is incompetent and worse than Burke. I think Gillis is a great GM and that he's done a great job building this team. All I'm saying is, when it comes to hometown signing, a GM has ZERO factor and ZERO credit in signing the guy.

I thoroughly disagree with that statement. A player may want to play for his hometown ONLY IF the team is playing well and the GM is not a media whore like Burke. Who are you to say that hometown signing will triumph every single possible aspect out there that may or may not influence a FA signing?

MG should get a bit of credit for guys signing for hometown discount. If our team operated like the Flames, we could be called the Smithers Canucks and Hamhuis still wouldn't come here. Fact is Hamhuis was sold on not only the jersey he is going to be wearing but where the organization was going, on the ice and off the ice ( involvement in the community). Mike Gillis was once an agent and part of the job description was selling the product. He sold the player to teams on what he brings on the ice to various teams with his agent hat on and he sold the city and organization to the player as a GM. If hometown signings were so easy, everybody would be jumping to gun to be playing in Toronto but isn't the case

Maybe. However it's rare if ever that a player chooses to sign somewhere because of a friend, maybe a fringe player. Though players do sign because of family location/hometown.

Also it's a profession so the minute Schultz signs Gardiner could be dealt. No guarantee they'd be together.

However signing hometown pretty much guarantees that at least moreso than signing for friendship.

The way AV used Coho, and the way he refuses to use Schneider, and if Kassians whopping 9 minutes last game is any indication why on earth would a young unproven player come here. Tanev seems like a good comparison and I feel he should have got more playing time this year as well.

Seems like firing AV would solve more than 1 problem.

The way AV used Coho, and the way he refuses to use Schneider, and if Kassians whopping 9 minutes last game is any indication why on earth would a young unproven player come here. Tanev seems like a good comparison and I feel he should have got more playing time this year as well. Seems like firing AV would solve more than 1 problem.

Archived