Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

[Speculation] Possibility Of Justin Schultz Signing With Vancouver

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1889 replies to this topic

#1231 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,236 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 03:03 PM

The threads have finally been merged :towel:

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

Gaudreau has one NHL goal whereas all your "prized" prospects have none.

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#1232 nucksnavsfan

nucksnavsfan

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,083 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 03:11 PM

I think Salo is pretty loyal to the Canucks. He's probably willing to let Mike do his thing on July 1st, and then once the cap is all sorted out he can offer Salo a contract.

I don't think you can get a depth defenceman better than Salo for 2 million. If he wants to play another season with us, he will.

Oh I don't doubt Salo is willing to wait, he wants to end his career in Van city if possible. But, if Gillis signs Schultz that may be an indication of him going with a younger group as he has said was his plan for this season ... younger and bigger. Ideally they re-sign Salo and make him the 7th D man to fill in for Schultz if signed so he can be eased in if needed.
Posted Image Go Canucks Go Posted Image

I should change my name now that Sakic has retired but I'm too lazy ..... he was the only reason for the avs part .... goodbye and good luck Burnaby Joe !

#1233 The Kassassin Train

The Kassassin Train

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,108 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 03:15 PM

McKenzie just said on insider trading that he expects a decision to come as early as tomorrow night possibly Saturday.

The key difference is that Sopel can fill in for Seabrook and Campbell just fine. Bieksa, he is garbage so in that sense he is like the worst defenseman in the league.

When Cody (Hodgson) gets older, he might be better than Datsyuk.

Let's not push this guy (Kassian). He's still immature, and if he fails on the 2nd line it's because he isn't ready. Some guys really need years to develop, it's how well and how fast players adapt to the game. In my opinion, I'd rather have Horvat getting 2nd line minutes. He will start off on the 3rd line next season but I see him making the transition, being a great compliment to whoever plays his wings.

At this point, I don't see Kassian fitting in to any role other than a 3rd. If players like Kassian start getting 2nd line minutes then we just stay inconsistent as a team.

The idiocy on CDC....

#1234 Greene02

Greene02

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,781 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 03:36 PM

McKenzie just said on insider trading that he expects a decision to come as early as tomorrow night possibly Saturday.

As an Oiler fan, I look forward to finding out whether I'm his biggest fan or if I hate him.

Signs with the Oilers = We just signed Paul Coffey 2.0!!!!!!
Passes on the Oilers = Selfish. Hasn't even played a game yet and he's having teams jump through hoops?! I hope he busts...

:)

Edited by Greene02, 28 June 2012 - 03:36 PM.

#1235 Wilfred

Wilfred

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,501 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 03:38 PM

New at this but i just want to address the cap implications of signing Schultz. There is a bidding war so there is no way he is signing for 900k as i have seen some suggest. He will get close the max for a rookie, which is about $3.8 cap hit (like Nugent-Hopkins, similar to Landeskog). Now that is a lot more than Edler for example, and close to hamhuis and bieksa. This may be why Detroit has abandonned, they just don't pay that kind of money to players who have not played one game in the NHL. So, maybe good value, but let's be straight about what the cost will be.

Uhh no. He has to sign an entry level deal, meaning, he does have to sign for 900k.

And if/when Del Zotto goes in the package for Rick Nash?

It's a good thing McIlrath is coming along because Marc Staal is an UFA in three years...

Edit: Three years not two.

Lol, you keep posting as if Nash going to the Rangers is a done deal. Unfortunately for you, it isn't. So stop with the if/when "Place Ranger defenseman here" is in a package for Nash.

Edited by Toasta Brigger, 28 June 2012 - 03:53 PM.

#1236 Canucks_fo_life

Canucks_fo_life

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,579 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 04:12 PM

It seems the #Canucks aren't interested in making playing time guarantees to Justin Schultz: http://bit.ly/Lxv0Nw #Oilers

http://twitter.com/J...470277200359424

Dude from the Edmonton Journal, but he quotes Jason Botchford of The Province
I rather lose with the Canucks, than win with any other team

This is OUR year

GO CANUCKS GOOOOOO!!!!!!!

#1237 CB007

CB007

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,661 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 04:16 PM

Someone should write on the Ducks forum that they should consider signing UFA defenseman Justin Schultz.

:lol:

Edited by CB007, 28 June 2012 - 04:21 PM.

Posted Image

#1238 Phamda

Phamda

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 04:16 PM

And Vigneault hasn't? See: Edler, Burrows, Hansen, Bieksa, Raymond and Tanev. Nope, you're right. AV is terrible with prospects. On top of this, if Hodgson wasn't such a whiny, milk drinking, daddy's boy, he'd still be in Vancouver and these AV myths wouldn't exist.

For the record, I do like Hodgson and think he'll be a very good player but he really didn't fit in with the Canucks.

WTF? Okay I dont usually bash other posters but you are an idiot. My post was a specific reply to another posters asking why would any young FA dman want to play under Torts and tou go off about crap about AV and people he has developed? When did i ever say AV was bad with prospects?

I.D.I.O.T

Learn to properly read peoples post and what they are replying to.

Edited by Puck Puck Goose, 28 June 2012 - 04:27 PM.

#1239 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,860 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 04:18 PM

It seems the #Canucks aren't interested in making playing time guarantees to Justin Schultz: http://bit.ly/Lxv0Nw #Oilers

http://twitter.com/J...470277200359424

Dude from the Edmonton Journal, but he quotes Jason Botchford of The Province

I think it was pretty obvious that we weren't going to guarantee him ice-time. Every team will be offering him max bonuses and guaranteed ice-time. Hopefully he's more focused on development than being handed everything right away.

Any player that demands ice-time to sign with a team, I wouldn't want anyways. Even veterans who have actually played in the NHL aren't guaranteed ice-time on a team. You gotta earn it with your play.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#1240 AnInconvenienceBrah

AnInconvenienceBrah

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 04:18 PM

I think we might lose out on Schultz if we're the only team not guaranteeing ice time, Oilers, Leafs even the NYR and Wings are guaranteeing him ice time and a spot on the roster, errr this will suck if we lose out on him he's exactly what we need on the roster and in our system. Would really suck if Edmonton got him and we had to be reminded about this every time we play them from CBC and TSN.

#1241 Canucks_fo_life

Canucks_fo_life

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,579 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 04:21 PM

If we don't manage to get him, simply because of the ice time not being promised, we possibly missed out on one of the best young players not in the NHL and also one of the biggest free agents in years. Give him ice time, anything, to get him here.

This is OUR year

#1242 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 70,000 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 04:23 PM

@TSNBobMcKenzie
Strongly led to believe MIN, as in Wild, are in on shortlist for UFA dman Justin Schultz. That would make 6 teams we know of. Maybe more?

307mg00.jpg

#1243 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,860 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 04:23 PM

So when Hamhuis and Edler's ice-time is reduced, what should we tell them? Oh sorry, we promised this rookie lots of ice-time so he would sign with us...

No point in lying to the kid. He's gotta earn his ice-time here. I don't care how good he is, if he's as good as everyone thinks, he should have no problem earning his minutes.

Edited by DeNiro, 28 June 2012 - 04:25 PM.

Posted Image

#1244 CB007

CB007

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,661 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 04:24 PM

I think it was pretty obvious that we weren't going to guarantee him ice-time.

We should promise him ice time now just to sign him, then bench him if he sucks.
Posted Image

#1245 I R Baboon

I R Baboon

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 04:27 PM

Last

#1246 Canucks_fo_life

Canucks_fo_life

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,579 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 04:27 PM

So when Hamhuis and Edler's ice-time is reduced, what should we tell them? Oh sorry, we promised this rookie lots of ice-time so he would sign with us...

No point in lying to the kid. He's gotta earn his ice-time here. I don't care how good he is, if he's as good as everyone thinks, he should have no problem earning his minutes.

It'll come back to bite us, the scouting reports have been unbelieveable on him, nowhere near the fake hoopla Fabian Brunnstrom was. I say put him into the 5/6 position, and put him on the 1st or 2nd powerplay unit. Im pretty sure he'd be ok with that. He'd get minutes, and more importantly, he'd win.

This is OUR year

#1247 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,860 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 04:30 PM

We should promise him ice time now just to sign him, then bench him if he sucks.

No. You don't lie to the guy just to get him here, that's bad business.

That would just create another Hodgson situation right away. You gotta let him know what to expect here.

If he wants to be part of a deep team that will help him develop properly with patience, and be part of a top team looking to get back to the finals, sign here. If getting top minutes right away without proving himself is important, sign somewhere else.

Posted Image

#1248 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,306 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 04:31 PM

I read the Journal article and it didn't look to me like Botch had any inside information from the Canucks. It was more like he was giving his opinion on the matter. Something to the effect of "If you know that way the Canucks operate, they won't guarantee anything"....

Personally, I don't see a problem with telling Shultz that he'll be on the roster. Rome and Grags are gone, Salo is a question mark......he really only has to beat out Alberts to be in the top six.
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#1249 Gooseberries

Gooseberries

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,530 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 04:31 PM

big edler fan but he has to earn his ice time too. IMO slate is clean in training camp and preseason no one cares what you did last season. have to remember too, we have something no one else does... home ice advantage :-)

Edited by TruCanuck, 28 June 2012 - 04:32 PM.

20u7nh3.jpg

Credit to Vintage Canuck

The Sig lord

#1250 ice orca

ice orca

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,302 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 04:34 PM

I think we might lose out on Schultz if we're the only team not guaranteeing ice time, Oilers, Leafs even the NYR and Wings are guaranteeing him ice time and a spot on the roster, errr this will suck if we lose out on him he's exactly what we need on the roster and in our system. Would really suck if Edmonton got him and we had to be reminded about this every time we play them from CBC and TSN.

Nobody here really knows what other teams offered him. Everybody is just speculating on a couple of tweets. If the kid is smart he will pick the best team to develop on. The Canucks could have offered him a lot of great things, its not just about ice time.

#1251 CB007

CB007

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,661 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 04:34 PM

No. You don't lie to the guy just to get him here, that's bad business.

I was joking Taxi Driver.
Posted Image

#1252 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,860 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 04:37 PM

I was joking Taxi Driver.

Next time type in Sarcastica font ::D

Posted Image

#1253 MikeBossy

MikeBossy

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,803 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 04:37 PM

Am I the only one who is confused about where exactly he would fit in with the Canucks? And I am sorry Edmonton but if your answer to making the playoffs is a 22 yr old kid who hasn't proved he can play NHL hockey over an 82 game schedule feel free to feed him as much ice time as possible. Team defence wins cups - look at Boston and Look at LA - its what the Canucks need to focus on and so far they haven't addressed it. With that said if the Canucks aren't close to getting a cup how the hell does Edmonton think they will be? You have some outstanding forwards but a very quesionable D and a so so goalie - he's no Quick that's for sure.

Canucks Stanley Cup fortunes do not depend on an uproven (yes I know everyone says he will be the next big thing but at this point he isn't) kid - lets end this circus called Schultz and move onto sorting out a goaltending situation please.

Thanks to R.Luongo. for the amazing sig

#1254 Redemption2012

Redemption2012

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 04:40 PM

Hopefully he decides soon
Go Canucks Go!

#1255 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 33,339 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 04:41 PM

Hopefully he decides soon

he can't officially decide until sunday.

#1256 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,860 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 04:44 PM

Am I the only one who is confused about where exactly he would fit in with the Canucks? And I am sorry Edmonton but if your answer to making the playoffs is a 22 yr old kid who hasn't proved he can play NHL hockey over an 82 game schedule feel free to feed him as much ice time as possible. Team defence wins cups - look at Boston and Look at LA - its what the Canucks need to focus on and so far they haven't addressed it. With that said if the Canucks aren't close to getting a cup how the hell does Edmonton think they will be? You have some outstanding forwards but a very quesionable D and a so so goalie - he's no Quick that's for sure.

Canucks Stanley Cup fortunes do not depend on an uproven (yes I know everyone says he will be the next big thing but at this point he isn't) kid - lets end this circus called Schultz and move onto sorting out a goaltending situation please.

So you're saying you would say no to having a young potential Brian Rafalski on your team?

This guy has the skillset that this team has been lacking since Ehrhoff left. He's a powerplay stud, and comes with a 925k cap hit. It would be dumb not to take a chance on him.

The fact that he takes up almost no cap space, means we would be acquiring a top 6 defenceman, and still have a ton of cap space left to sign big name free agents.

Edited by DeNiro, 28 June 2012 - 04:44 PM.

Posted Image

#1257 Phamda

Phamda

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 04:45 PM

He can officially decide wheneer he wants, its just a matter of when he signs the contract. Crosby, his agent and the team has already announced he has re-signed long term, he just cant sign the contract extension until July 1st.

#1258 CanucksWino

CanucksWino

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 04:45 PM

He can decide anytime he wants - just can't sign a contract until July 1st. We might hear something like, he's "agreed in principle to sign..." before July 1st.

#1259 Niklas Jensen

Niklas Jensen

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 04:47 PM

Word is out that Vigneault hate playing kids. Kids are his whipping target. If Justin is paying attention to how Vigneault treat young players, he'll probably not sign here
Our D's must make opponent fowards going to the net PAY THE PRICE

#1260 futurecupchampions

futurecupchampions

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 04:50 PM

looks like another team has been added...not confirmed though..

Bob McKenzie@TSNBobMcKenzie

Strongly led to believe MIN, as in Wild, are in on shortlist for UFA dman Justin Schultz. That would make 6 teams we know of. Maybe more?

vancity B)

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.